You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Desktop Clone tool error issue (in combination with Huian drawing tablet)

Dear reader,

I have had problems with my ipad for over half a year now. Can't use the app anymore because of 2 major issues already reported).

To be able to draw digitally I recently bought a drawing tablet to use with Affinity Photo desktop. I tried a Wacom, but didn't work at all (Affinity Photo crashes after 3 second brushstrokes) So I exchanged it for a Huian drawing tablet. Yesterday I was working quite contently with it, but today clone tool brushstrokes gave an error... (see attached video).

Affinity Photo,
iMac 24inch,
macOS Monterey 12.4,
huion H1162 (RTP-700)
Clone tool, (one of the standard) Masking Brushes

Please, oh please tell me there is a simple solution for this. I would so very much like to use your apps though I can't believe how many issues they have lately.

Thank you for your time. Best regards,

Frederiek

• Staff

Hi hFA,

What's the year/spec/memory/gpu  of your Mac?

Does turning off Metal GPU Acceleration resolve the issue (settings>performance) there may be some software clashing (such as the tablet driver's handling of the cursor etc).

Also is this happening on multiple documents or just this one?

Lee

3 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi hFA,

What's the year/spec/memory/gpu  of your Mac?

Does turning off Metal GPU Acceleration resolve the issue (settings>performance) there may be some software clashing (such as the tablet driver's handling of the cursor etc).

Also is this happening on multiple documents or just this one?

Lee

Hi @LeeThorpe, Thank you for picking this up!

I noticed it is in different documents and also with normal brushes, but not all the time. I have the same issue on my ipad (on top of an earlier issue, both are reported, but not solved yet)

I have looked for the GPU settings, but I cannot find them on this mac.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)
16 GB
8-core GPU

Hope this helps!

Best,

Frederiek

4 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hopefully this helps:

Is this happening on multiple Documents?

Lee

image.png

Thank you, @LeeThorpe 🙏😊
I am sorry I didn't find this on my own. It is in multiple documents. I will try with this setting disabled and I have lowered the RAM usage limit to the above as well.

I have a similar question open about the ipad apps. Is there a similar way to change the settings like this on the ipad as well?

Will let you know if the issue persists.
Have a smooth week!

Best,

Frederiek

• Staff

No there isn't a way to disable this on the iPad, it's key to the running of the app. This is why I am interested in the files, as the file itself or an unusual workflow/document setup might cause this.

Is it possible to send an example of a file this happens on and perhaps a screen recording from your iPad whilst it happens?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/QUkHPhZ8Md2czcp9Oe25

Lee

3 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

No there isn't a way to disable this on the iPad, it's key to the running of the app. This is why I am interested in the files, as the file itself or an unusual workflow/document setup might cause this.

Is it possible to send an example of a file this happens on and perhaps a screen recording from your iPad whilst it happens?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/QUkHPhZ8Md2czcp9Oe25

Lee

Thank you, Lee.

I placed a screen recording in the other topic, but I haven't received a reply on this item since the beginning of June.

The problem is all files were deleted when I reinstalled the app. (truly I thought only the ones opened and not saved would be deleted. to be honest I was devastated by this)
So I have lost the files and I haven't worked in the app since. (Because unfortunately on top of the layer-corruption-issue it was just not workable anymore).

The problem is that the issues are not constant. So I would have to start working on a file and wait until it happens and then send it to you. Only the other issue might occur first (layer corruption thing) This makes it all a very time consuming and frustrating endeavor. So for now I hope you have enough information with the screen recording.

It is really hard not being able to work on my ipad. And I have been such a fan of your otherwise amasing software! Finally finding my style and all.

Anyway I hope you can help! Thank you for your time in advance!!

• Staff

I strongly suspect it's an issue with the size of the document and or fidelity of the brushes being used, it's likely the iPad is struggling with VRAM usage.

Is it possible to send the file on the iPad using the link above and letting me know which iPad you are using (year and type)?

The Clone tool issue on the Mac looks like a separate issue related to acceleration so should be resolved by disabling it via the method above.

Lee

Just now, LeeThorpe said:

I strongly suspect it's an issue with the size of the document and or fidelity of the brushes being used, it's likely the iPad is struggling with VRAM usage.

Is it possible to send the file on the iPad using the link above and letting me know which iPad you are using (year and type)?

The Clone tool issue on the Mac looks like a separate issue related to acceleration so should be resolved by disabling it via the method above.

Lee

I don't think the issues have to do with the size of the document... because they happened when the documents were large, but also when starting them up and when they were still little documents.

Unfortunately as I mention above, I do not have the files anymore as they were deleted with the App when I tried to reinstall it.

iPad Pro (11-inch) from 2018 (Model number MTXQ2NF/A)
IpadOS 15.5 and the app is up to date (no updates available).
The setting of the layers and brush are visible in the video. I use a brush of True Grit Texture Supply.

The screen recording and the information you ask for is here:

I would be very grateful if you could have a look 🙏

Best regards,

Frederiek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @hFA, sorry that you're experiencing this.... It looks like they've identified the cause of the problem, but they haven't fixed it yet and unfortulately they cannot say when they finally will. See also this topic: 

I think that these "disappearing" pixels are all caused by the very same bug, or at least they're closely related, I'm afraid we'll just have to wait until Affinity finally fixes this issue. :(

16 minutes ago, Vosje said:

Hi @hFA, sorry that you're experiencing this.... It looks like they've identified the cause of the problem, but they haven't fixed it yet and unfortulately they cannot say when they finally will. See also this topic: 

I think that these "disappearing" pixels are all caused by the very same bug, or at least they're closely related, I'm afraid we'll just have to wait until Affinity finally fixes this issue. :(

Hi Vosje!

Thank you so much! I have developed a kind of safety net/work around... Maybe it is of help to you too:
I work for one drawing in different docs now... I have 1 collecting doc, in which I do not draw. and I draw different elements in different documents, making sure to flatten all other elements in the one I am working on. (If that makes sense 😅) and I work with duplicating docs (they can be deleted when no longer relevant).

I really hope they will be able to fix it, because I absolutely love Affinity.

Anyway... Have a good one!
Frederiek

1 hour ago, hFA said:

Thank you so much! I have developed a kind of safety net/work around... Maybe it is of help to you too:
I work for one drawing in different docs now... I have 1 collecting doc, in which I do not draw. and I draw different elements in different documents, making sure to flatten all other elements in the one I am working on. (If that makes sense 😅) and I work with duplicating docs (they can be deleted when no longer relevant).

Hi Frederiek!

Thank you so much for sharing the way you are working around this. I will try to experiment with it, the only thing I've come up with for now is constantly saving AND having lots of duplicates of the same file... I'm now sure how often this happens to you, but for me, unfortunately, every time I'm working on something. :( I also love Affinity, but I do think it's kind of a shame they still didn't fix this -- in my eyes a rather critical, because it's terrible to loose your work -- issue. Still hoping, though. 😆

Have a great day!

Vosje

24 minutes ago, Vosje said:

Hi Frederiek!

Thank you so much for sharing the way you are working around this. I will try to experiment with it, the only thing I've come up with for now is constantly saving AND having lots of duplicates of the same file... I'm now sure how often this happens to you, but for me, unfortunately, every time I'm working on something. :( I also love Affinity, but I do think it's kind of a shame they still didn't fix this -- in my eyes a rather critical, because it's terrible to loose your work -- issue. Still hoping, though. 😆

Have a great day!

Vosje

I hear you, It is immensely frustrating. I must admit I have cried a few times. And now it is a lot of extra work. But I also think to be able to fix these things right away the software needs to be a great deal more expensive. And I am so so grateful it isn't 😅 I feel ambivalent at the moment. If I were a professional it wouldn't do.

Have a smooth week! and fingers crossed indeed!

On 7/11/2022 at 11:19 AM, LeeThorpe said:

Hopefully this helps:

Is this happening on multiple Documents?

Lee

image.png

This helped, Lee!! I have tried for a while now in different docs and on the mac with the Huion the issue did not reoccur!!

Thanks so much for explaining!

By the way I fear a few things in this forum item are mixed now. So I want to stipulate the Mac issue I posted is fixed using your solution. And with regards to the ipad issue we will patiently await a new update.

Best,

Frederiek!