You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard Shortcuts Preferences Reset every time I open Designer (mac OS 10.15)

Hello There,

I run Designer 1.10.5 (Free Trial for 7 days left) on my Macbook Pro with mac os 10.15

And everytime I upload my customed shortcuts and then quit and relaunch the program,

my shortcuts are reset.

The same problem here but not resolved :

Thanks for your help :)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @V_rob.

Are you sure you've installed the application properly? Please see the post below:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @V_rob,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

On 7/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, V_rob said:

everytime I upload my customed shortcuts

Can you please confirm for me, how exactly are you uploading your shortcuts to the Affinity app? Are you manually entering custom shortcuts for specific tools that aren't being retained - or are you using a .afshort file to import a full set of shortcuts?

If the latter, are you able to provide a copy of the .afshort file here for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me!

I can confirm this is retained for me here, after restarting both the Affinity app and the Mac itself.

It's possible that a third party 'cleaner' app, such as CCleaner or Antivirus is removing the Affinity app data files after the application creates this, meaning the shortcuts are reset after each restart.

Can you please confirm for me, do you have any such apps installed on your Mac?

Can you please also open Finder, the navigate to the following folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/

Within this folder, do you see a shortcuts.affshortcuts file?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know - there are 2 different 'Library' folders on MacOS, and the Affinity Designer is in the 'hidden' Library folder, so this may explain why you're unable to find this currently.

Please open Finder, then from the top menu open 'Go...', which should show a list of folders. With this list visible, hold down Option and you should see Library appear in the list.

Selecting this option and navigating to the Application Support folder - do you now see the Affinity folder here?

If not, just to confirm, are you still using the trial version of the app, or have you installed the full retail version from the Mac App Store? (as this will change the folder location :))

Please note -

Many thanks!

Alright ! Now I see it :)

There's a shortcuts.affshortcuts file but I don't think it's saved my shortcuts.

So do I have to drag my saved shortcut file into this folder ? And delete the original file ?

I still have the trial version and downloaded from Affinity website, not OS Store.

• Staff

Perfect, thanks for confirming that for me!

Can you please attach a copy of this file here for me?

If finder shows you, when was this file last modified please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for this file and my apologies for the delayed response here.

I've been discussing this with my colleagues here and we're yet to determine an exact cause for this, as it appears to be local to your mac only at this time.

Therefore they have requested a screen recording, showing the steps you're taking to change/load shortcuts, with the aforementioned file location open in Finder to check the modified time/date of the file, then closing and reopening the app and checking this file once more.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Please attach a copy of this recording here, once complete.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for providing this for me, this is certainly appreciated!

Using this screen recording, I've been able to replicate this issue internally - it appears as though there is a bug causing these Pixel Tool shortcuts to not be remembered following a restart, as Designer is currently not writing these shortcuts correctly.

I've logged this as a bug with our developers now, to be resolved as soon as possible.

I hope this clears things up and our sincerest apologies in the meantime for any inconveniences caused.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, V_rob said:

the bug is still there

From my observations, problems with shortcuts not sticking may be related to global MacOS language and keyboard layout settings. 

For example, a bug still present in v2: For some comands it's impossible to replace "[" and "]" with a different key and make this change stick on relaunch. That's necessary e.g. on Swiss keyboard layout which has "ö" and "ä" in place of the UK/US "[" and "]" keys while the latter characters are only available indirectly via option-5 and option-6. I've even set up a Keyboard Maestro macro that will automatically open the APh Preferences window for me on application launch so that I don't forget to reenter "ö" and "ä" for adjusting the brush size…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Keyboard shortcut for Pixel Category > Tools doesn't save after a restart" (REF: AF-206) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.