You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I am new to Publisher.

I have written my autobiography in Word 2007 but am having trouble with Word rendering images correctly in the document, mainly brightness and colour. I purchased Affinity Publisher as it is a colour managed application.

I have tried importing the Word document into Publisher, however the layoout is completely wrong in Affinity, the images are all in the wronlg place. Is this what I should expect, then have to adjust in Publisher, or is there a way to import the Word document and maintaind the same layout?

Regards,

Steve  

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

How did you import it?

Can you give an example of how the images are misplaced?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just tried a word document using the place feature in Publisher. It held on to the formatting for the text in one document that had no images. In another I tried that had a single picture the picture did not import at all. Not sure if I am missing something for how to import a Word document in Publisher but I get zero options when using "place" and selecting my word document. To compare to Indesign I get this when importing a Word document. I would not say Indesign is great at holding onto the formatting in Word, which is fine for me as I like to set things properly rather then try and use Word's quirkiness. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 7.07.48 AM.png

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you give an example of how the images are misplaced?

Hi Walt,

Please see the attached images. I have tried saving the word document as a PDF from within Word and that gives me the correct positioning. However, even though I set the import parameters to favour editing, some photos can be deleted / moved, others not.

The first image is from Word, the second from Publisher.

Re the PDF issue, it may be the way I have put captions in Word, I can't remember if I used a text box or insert caption in Word, it may be a combination of both. 

Regards,

Steve

Word Layout.jpg

Publisher Layout.jpg

Edited by Steve_From_Oz

7 hours ago, Steve_From_Oz said:

Please see the attached images. I have tried saving the word document as a PDF from within Word and that gives me the correct positioning.

Thanks. But how did you do it when you got the incorrect positioning? Was that one a Save as .docx, then Place into Publisher? If so, in Publisher did you Place into an empty document, or did you create a Text Frame first?

Can you supply a sample .docx document that doesn't work?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/9/2022 at 8:24 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. But how did you do it when you got the incorrect positioning? Was that one a Save as .docx, then Place into Publisher? If so, in Publisher did you Place into an empty document, or did you create a Text Frame first?

Can you supply a sample .docx document that doesn't work?

It was a save as docx, then place. Same with pdf. No text frame. I have tried creating a text frame, same issue. I have created a preset in mypresets with the same document size and margins as the word document, with no bleed as the printer I plan on using does not require bleed. I create the text frame thwn adjust it to fit the margins

Also, I am not sure if this is a bug, if I create a text frame, align its edges to the margins which I have set to view (enable snapping is set), then with the text frame tool still selected, if I single click outside the document area then place the document, Affinity shuts down, no error shown. If I place the document with the text frame shown, Affinity does not shut down. Selecting the edit tab indicates by clicking outside the documnet the text box is cleared. 

Here are both the pdf and docx samples of one page of the document in question.

Sample autobiography page for review.pdf Sample autobiography page for review.docx

Edited by Steve_From_Oz
Update files

An update, 

I have worked out how to do it by converting the document to a pdf and importing. That retains the formatting. I am not sure why I could not seem before to edit the pdf once imported. Probably user error.  

However, it appears as though the work required to continue editing my old document in Affinity will be too much so I might need to revert to using Word.

Regards,

Steve