You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect Sentence Case capitalisation in Spanish

Hi there. When doing a sentence case capitalisation in Spanish language, there is a constant error on which the "Y" is always set as uppercase. Reading you official description of the sentence case function, it seems that… is it considering "Y" as a proper noun? O.o

Example:

NOVEDADES EN LAS NUEVAS VERSIONES DE AFFINITY Y OTRAS COSAS INTERESANTES

results in:

Novedades en las nuevas versiones de affinity Y otras cosas interesantes

(On a merry anecdote, Affinity does not think Affinity is as a proper noun :P)

It is not a terrible error, but having in mind the hideous trend of our customers to write all titles and subtitles and even paragraphs in all caps, it adds extra work to check for the rogue Y's.

Cheers to the team!

• Staff

Hi @Daniel Gibert,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! 

I've tried replicating this here, with both the Affinity app & the text frame set to Español, using Arial font and 4 different capitalisation settings, and unfortunately I'm not seeing the same results, though please do let me know if I have misunderstood your report - 

image.png

Can you please confirm for me:

• What are your language/region settings, set within macOS?
  • Do you have the Affinity app set to Spanish, English, or another language?
  • Are you using the macOS built in dictionaries, or have you installed your own?
  • What font are you using? (I don't expect this to be the cause, but I'd like to double check)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C

• Region and language on OS: Spain/Spanish
  • Publisher in Spanish
  • MacOS Built In dictionaries only
  • It happens on any font, system or custom installed .

Important to help refine the issue: It happens when the text originally is written in all uppercase (In your example the none text is written in lowercase directly). Our customers have the annoying idea that sending us the text in all caps makes it more prominent. We use the Sentence Case to convert the text to normal sentence from the original uppercase text. Publisher does it pretty good except for the "Y"

Maybe is for this that you are getting the "y" correctly. Try converting from all caps text.

Hope this helps you.

13 minutes ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Important to help refine the issue: It happens when the text originally is written in all uppercase (In your example the none text is written in lowercase directly).

In that case (sorry!) can’t you work around the issue by converting from uppercase to lowercase first? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In that case (sorry!) can’t you work around the issue by converting from uppercase to lowercase first? :/

I can convert it on any other external text processor, but always prefer to do it directly on Publisher, for work speeding. Also, much of the work involve text in tables, graphics, and even complex text with all posible caps cases included and mixed in horribly bad formated word, powerpoint or excel documents, where converting the text will be painful and slow (Text boxes, boxes in boxes, groups, groups in groups…)

If it where for an ocasional sentence or paragraph… but my customers have very "vicious" issues with the all-caps. Publisher do this pretty well except for the "Y" and depending on other software for case-modification will broke our already congested workflow a lot. And due to the amount of "vice" from the original text, manual rewritting is discarded. It is much better to do it on Publisher once correctly placed in the clean and correct layout.

Sorry, long rant on customer's bad text profilaxis. Having a bad day here today.

1 hour ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Sorry, long rant on customer's bad text profilaxis. Having a bad day here today.

No need for apologies, Daniel! Entirely understandable.

I hope your day improves rapidly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
8 hours ago, Daniel Gibert said:

Important to help refine the issue: It happens when the text originally is written in all uppercase (In your example the none text is written in lowercase directly). Our customers have the annoying idea that sending us the text in all caps makes it more prominent. We use the Sentence Case to convert the text to normal sentence from the original uppercase text. Publisher does it pretty good except for the "Y"

Thanks for the further explanation - this is certainly the step I was missing!

I'm getting this logged with our developers now, as I'm able to replicate this here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!