You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

improve compatibility with photoshop

Hi,

most psd/psb files I received recently from my clients have dynamic object (smart object) and artboard.

This is an example I made on Photoshop:

image.thumb.png.967976f91aa63505be8e19aeb6e672e4.png

I understand that Photo doesn't use artboard, but when I import my psd file in Designer, the artboard aren't created neither. The file is still usable but the display can be really annoying. For example, an object that should be cut by the artboard hides something else.

image.thumb.png.aaa7018426530023844c749cb8543d68.png

Files that uses Dynamic Object are not usable because I can't modify or even see what fonts are used, etc.

I use Affinity products for many years but I haven't see any improvements in this topic. Is there any plan to improve compatibility so it will be easier to use Affinity when working with photoshop users?

35 minutes ago, loudo said:

Files that uses Dynamic Object are not usable

Did you enable the Preference (in the General section) to import smart objects as smart objects, where possible?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No answer for you, but is it really a wise idea it you need to work with people using Photoshop and you use something else? I never got the idea of doing that. Seems like the simplest thing would be to use the same software they are using as none of this would be an issue and the potential for other weirdness happing goes almost right down to zero. 

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you enable the Preference (in the General section) to import smart objects as smart objects, where possible?

Glad to finally be able to open smart objects. Ah ah ! Thank you very much. I've absolutely missed that option!

Still waiting for artboard import support :)

13 hours ago, wonderings said:

No answer for you, but is it really a wise idea it you need to work with people using Photoshop and you use something else? I never got the idea of doing that. Seems like the simplest thing would be to use the same software they are using as none of this would be an issue and the potential for other weirdness happing goes almost right down to zero. 

I want to use the software I'm the most confortable with. Also last version of Photoshop is a real mess. Thanks to Walt answer, my compatibility just got improved.

3 hours ago, loudo said:

I want to use the software I'm the most confortable with. Also last version of Photoshop is a real mess. Thanks to Walt answer, my compatibility just got improved.

sure, but you are asking for compatibility issues when collaborating with people using different software. I have no issues with the latest version of Photoshop, I am not a heavy PS user though, just some light fix ups and things. 

When I import a psd file, it's just to export quickly images, see size fonts, etc. The Export Persona is very effective.

What I mean with a mess is that I'm lost in the new ui, I was a photoshop user very long time ago. Don't want to lost my time with an expensive product for mainly doing export from time to time. I'm still using Animate sometime though but I haven't find good replacement.

23 minutes ago, loudo said:

What I mean with a mess is that I'm lost in the new ui,

The UI is different from Photoshop, and will remain different. It's just something you have to learn when using any new application.

By the way, if you are sharing data with a colleague who uses Photoshop, and using PSD for that, don't forget that any Text objects will be rasterized in your PSD export. There may be other differences, too.

That's why, in general, if you are working closely with someone else you should both be using the same tools.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

47 minutes ago, loudo said:

So I hope there will be more and more affinity users.

As nice as the idea sounds, it also brings back headaches that Adobe has basically fixed becoming the standard and getting the majority of people on Adobe CC which means everyone is using the same version which makes collaboration so easy. This used to be a massive headache, people on various versions, or using different software before Adobe was completely at the top. You had Adobe, Quark, Corel, all ingrained deeply into different businesses. Now Adobe dominates and a big positive because of this is we all use the same software now. Over turning that and getting more people onto something else will create big headaches and would take years and years for a new standard to emerge if one was ever to replace Adobe as the standard. 

Yeah, I mean, as is, the PSD export option is essentially worse than nothing. The way it automatically decides on merging players makes no sense, to the point where I have exported documents with a single layer, even though theoretically "Preserve editability" is turned on. I have no idea how a single pixel layer can be considered "editable".

The PSD compatibility is to me the single missing feature. I understand that it's not possible to export accurate, editable text to PSD, but at the very least it should be possible to:

a) maintain layers as they are, even with rasterized text

b) accept that text isn't accurate and export with the most basic of properties.

I suspect lack of accuracy is fine for most users as long as one knows what's missing. As is, the export options just select what they will and won't export at random.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, walt.farrell said:

That's why, in general, if you are working closely with someone else you should both be using the same tools.

What if you're not working closely with someone? What if you just need to output a layered file, so that the layers can be toggled on and off?

39 minutes ago, jstarpl said:

What if you're not working closely with someone?

As I said (which you quoted), it's best to use the same tools in that case.

But if you export a PSD file, the user with Photoshop can, I think, turn the layers on or off.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As I said (which you quoted), it's best to use the same tools in that case.

What I asked was: "What if you're NOT working closely with someone?" - i.e. what if you need to set up some documents, as a reference, for someone else (unknown to you), to open. In that case, Designer is a dead end, because it can't reliably export export a layered file to an exchangeable format.

I had an artboard with 5 top-level groups and multiple nested groups and it all got flattened to a single bitmap layer, without any warning. Like I said, if only the PSD exporter (PDF exporter is guilty of the same) would keep the layers as they are (even if rasterized), then it would be half-usable. As is, it's pretty useless.

Edited by jstarpl
change "layers" to "groups"

13 hours ago, jstarpl said:

What I asked was: "What if you're NOT working closely with someone?" - i.e. what if you need to set up some documents, as a reference, for someone else (unknown to you), to open. In that case, Designer is a dead end, because it can't reliably export export a layered file to an exchangeable format.

Sorry, I misread it.

If you're producing something that someone using PhotoShop will need to open, your best approach is to use PhotoShop.

Otherwise, produce a .afphoto or .afdesign or .afpub file, and let them acquire the needed software.

Or use some other software that can produce PSD files with the functions you need (i.e,, yes, Designer may be a non-starter for you).

13 hours ago, jstarpl said:

had an artboard with 5 top-level groups and multiple nested groups and it all got flattened to a single bitmap layer, without any warning. Like I said, if only the PSD exporter (PDF exporter is guilty of the same) would keep the layers as they are

As far as I know it should keep the layers, unless they are empty. If they're Text they'll be rasterized. It's possible there are other specific Affinity functions not supported by PhotoShop that would also require rasterization. If you're having problems with that, I recommend starting a specific topic about that behavior, and providing both the .afdesign file and the PSD you created.

-- Walt
PC: