You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize document to fit contents

I would like a button somewhere that allows you to set the document/canvas size to fit the contents.

A workaround is to select everything, insert an Artboard based on the selection and then delete the Artboard while keeping the contents. However, this trick doesn't work in embedded documents.

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

53 minutes ago, matt.baker said:

However, this trick doesn't work in embedded documents.

What happens when you try it?

What kind of embedded document do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, matt.baker said:

I would like a button somewhere that allows you to set the document/canvas size to fit the contents.

A workaround is to select everything, insert an Artboard based on the selection and then delete the Artboard while keeping the contents. However, this trick doesn't work in embedded documents.

Are you actually using the Selection choice? The Artboard tool has Document set as its default. I just tried this here on my Mac and it works.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@walt.farrell I'm using an Affinity Designer file for the embedded file (example attached)

Container.afdesign

To embed.afdesign

@Old Bruce Yep, I'm using the Selection choice. Perhaps it's Windows specific. Also occurs in the latest 1.10 Beta.

Embedded edit behaviour screen capture:

Non embedded / expected behaviour screen capture:

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

3 minutes ago, matt.baker said:

Also occurs in the latest 1.10 Beta.

There is no current beta, and the latest 1.10 beta is the same as (or perhaps older than) the current 1.10 release.

Thanks for the test files.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

It seems to work fine for me, Matt.

Here's a screenshot of the container document, with some Guides added around the embedded document layer:

image.png.d61e7343b4eefa212d3ef844677ba435.png

Next I edit the embedded document, select the contents, and add the Artboard, choosing Selection rather than Document in the Context Toolbar:

image.png.5ee695a6c4ad1a46244123c980a17a90.png

That gives me this, in the embedded document:

image.png.1f83550460cee38804ae4be7bb18630f.png

Note: I'm not sure why the canvas is bigger than the selection. That seems odd.

Then, I close the embedded document, and I have this in the Container document:

image.png.655db2fef878de0ce11e2dbde79cebe2.png

You can see that the content between the Guides matches what we did in the embedded document, and that the white space from the original screenshot has been trimmed.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, matt.baker said:

@Old Bruce Yep, I'm using the Selection choice. Perhaps it's Windows specific. Also occurs in the latest 1.10 Beta.

Ah, I missed out mentioning the most important part of my process. After I inset the Artboard I move everything out/off of the Artboad,  using the layers panel, before deleting the Artboard.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Ah, I missed out mentioning the most important part of my process. After I inset the Artboard I move everything out/off of the Artboad,  using the layers panel, before deleting the Artboard.

That's an interesting approach, but doesn't seem to be necessary.

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell Sorry for the delayed reply. In your last step, is the embedded document's bounding box not still the same dimensions? For me it is.

image.png.b87aed40456a2c5f3ce8a3c3b55cf881.png

I was expecting the bounding box to shrink to match the contents like it does for non embedded documents.

Setting the Page Box to Minimum or Maximum Content results in this after performing the previous steps, which looks like it could be another bug:
image.png.0362306995115d522431ff00aeed4cb8.png

However, it seems to work if the embedded document is left unchanged:

image.png.e35ba4a1d8edb6e3d68397e0dac27796.png

CrPzyCp.jpg