You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As stated by ELP: “Welcome back, My Friends / To the Show That Never Ends!” … and today’s Mystery Question may have a simpler resolution than I'm capable of imagining.

To begin:

To add a gradient, I usually create a new pixel layer, select the Gradient tool, drag out a gradient, edit it, and move to the next task. Occasionally, I've needed to return to edit the gradient and - so long as the Gradient tool was selected - the earlier gradient remained editable. But that was then …

Now, once I depart the gradient layer  and return later (with the Gradient tool active), the layer is only a gradient pixel layer, and uneditable as a gradient layer. If a new / edited gradient is to be had, it has to be created from scratch. 

Can someone please ’splain me what rezackly be’s happenin’ heah … ? Any editable gradients (FWIW) are usually elliptical in nature. Gradients which are linear are generally no longer editable once the layer is clicked off to move to a diff'rent one. All thoughts and inputs are welcomed and appreciated …

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

Hi Dr_No!

As far as I see, gradients on pixel layers can't be edited afterwards. But instead creating a gradient on a pixel layer, you could create a vector layer by dragging a rectangle shape. Gradients on vector layers stay editable (the same with text layers). - If we are talking about Affinity Photo.

Hi and thanks … that may be the solution, then! I'll give it a go and see if it holds up IRL when I change layers and come back to it again. If it's still editable via the gradient tool, then All Is Right With The World again. Thanks for the tip.

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Ah. I just caught the caveat that the Vector Layer Solution is for Affinity PHOTO … well then: The game's afoot, yes … ? I'll see if that advice also applies in Affinity Designer … ohpleaseohpleaseohplease …

You can also use a Fill Layer, rather than a rectangle.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt … that's an option I hadn't considered. It'll be implemented in the Next Major Work … [sic]. To date, Iconoclast's suggestion does the trick nicely, and there may be advantages with using a Fill layer not available with the vector layer solution. So many options, so little thyme …

There are some pros and cons of vector vs fill layer:

vector layer properties 

• works in all apps (Photo and Designer)
  • you can start with any shape or curve, no need to fill complete canvas
  • you can add pixel mask or vector mask
  • works mostly as expected when nested or put in groups
  • you can use layer fx on top

fill layer properties 

• only available in Photo
  • Has inherent mask, no need to add separate mask layer
  • Has some special properties when changing crop or size (infinite size)
  • Open bug affecting layer blending in case of semi transparent colors
  • may act unexpectedly when put in groups and playing with blend modes, or using layer fx

For simple tasks, both are equally suited. For complex tasks, the difference may matter.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

NotMyFault … thanks for your input. In my experiments using the suggestions made here, I've concluded that the vector layer approach is the one most applicable to the way I work. I was surprised at the results of the fill layer when I used it, but it's the only way to learn what needs to be learnt, yes? Thanks again to all who contributed to finding this solution.