You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HOW DO YOU STROKE AN IMAGE?

Lol, i have stroke clicked on, and its not stroking the image at all.  Nothing is happening.  In the videos i saw you just click it on or off, etc.  I also cant find even one video showing how to use, just the stroke on an image in designer?  The help manual is useless, it just shows the labels and tells what they do. lol.  I dont think it is possible unless you do a workaround.   

I just want to outline this image with a thin line, and only print the line, not the full image.  I want to save on my ink and print out the size of this image to see if its actually the correct size when printed out.  

I wanted to learn all the functions, or at least the ones i use everyday in gimp, here, as in the videos so many things seem more simple than in gimp, but alas, i dont really think they are.  I also dont think these three programs have more options.  I really thought they had made many options, like the stroke, simplified into one click.  But now, i dont think thats true.  I think you can only stroke shapes? and remove the fill to see only the stroke.  But not an image.

In gimp i select the image, selection to path, select none, and then stroke.  Then create a new layer and just click stroke again and i have the stroke on its own layer.  I can save those strokes for later use in other files too.   I use them for masks, lol.  Ok so i dont think that can be done in design.  I dont want to save the strokes, i just want to stroke it and show only the stroke to print it out!  My permanent ink is expensive, and im frugal. ;)

inside cvr b1.png

inside cvr a1.afdesign

yes, i stroke to the inside and can see the stroke, but if i change opacity of the image the stroke vanishes too.  Can i separate the stroke from the image?  Why cant i see the stroke when i have it go to the outside? The canvas is bigger than the image?  

The easiest is to simply create a rectangle object in the desired size + apply a stroke + set the stroke alignment to 'inside' to maintain its visual dimensions.

Usually you can apply a stroke in the same simple way to an image but in this case two reasons prevent an applied stroke from occurring: the nested, masking rectangle (which hides the image edges where a stroke around the image gets placed) + the position of the image on the page (its partially outside, so a stroke would not appear at those edges even if the image would not be masked).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

ok, my workaround.  I created a rectangle the same size and stroked it, saved it, and printed it out.  I used both full page checked and unchecked, and in both it does not print the full 8. 875 x 5.875   shoot took a pic with my phone and its taking forever to upload for some reason.  so will post this for now.  I also see that i received an answer, saying to do this same thing. lol.

so I dont know how to get the image to the correct size when printed out.  os is win 10, and to print out, i just right click the image, click print, and uncheck or check the 'fit to page'.  I always uncheck it. although i did try both this time, and yeah its still smaller than the image in design.  I dont know.  I really was hoping i could create all my pages in this suit of software and do it quickly.  But i dont see that happening.  

inside cvr rec stroke.png

29 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The easiest is to simply create a rectangle object in the desired size + apply a stroke + set the stroke alignment to 'inside' to maintain its visual dimensions.

Usually you can apply a stroke in the same simple way to an image but in this case two reasons prevent an applied stroke from occurring: the nested, masking rectangle (which hides the image edges where a stroke around the image gets placed) + the position of the image on the page (its partially outside, so a stroke would not appear at those edges even if the image would not be masked).

Hi, and thank you, i was doing that while you were typing, lol.   thank you.  The image is inside the page? im not sure what masking rectangle is?  Maybe its something left over from me trying over and over to do this, lol.  Maybe from the trying the fx outline?  hmm  Thank you.  

The rectangle? is that from cropping the image? omg, i hate this software.  so to get rid of that, i have to save the image after its cropped, and delete it for this file and then load in the new one? are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is not professional software. 

4 minutes ago, anto said:

lol i saw the magic happen but ... ill watch again, wish i could slow it down, im old, lol 😂 oh i can download it, then i can watch it and slow it down easier. thank you!  Do you know the image that shows the coding flow and has a box only labeled as 'the magic happens here'?

18 minutes ago, anto said:

How do you get that small panel at the top on the left? it looks like its the asset panel and has another tab named appearance? I do not have that. oh wait.  I found it in my panels on the right side.  Thank you, never saw it before lol.  ok.  

OK tried it, perfect and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!  WOW. LOL

Ok, printed it out using affininty design itself, and its very close to the correct size.  So what is happening in the saved image when it prints, where is that info kept in the file?  if you undertand?

hmm its apparently too small a pic to upload, computers, lol.

1 hour ago, ahnay said:

The image is inside the page? im not sure what masking rectangle is?

708617645_imageoutsidemaskingrectangle.thumb.jpg.2b11ffcf713432d4232741b43f7ff516.jpg

I don't understand actually your problem because it's nit clear for me what exactly you are referring to when saying "image". Your question What masking rectangle" makes me think you don't know your uploaded document.

Maybe it can help for you to open the image as a separate document + remove its transparent area around the paper texture to make the dimensions of the paper equal to the dimensions of the image file (= crop the image to the paper). Then, If reloaded to the layout document, you don't need the masking rectangle any more + can apply a stroke around the image easier. Also, you might consider to save the paper texture image as JPG, this can also reduce the file size of currently over 30 MB for this image massively (which honestly isn't really sharp and thus wouldn't cause an obvious visible loss).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

708617645_imageoutsidemaskingrectangle.thumb.jpg.2b11ffcf713432d4232741b43f7ff516.jpg

I don't understand actually your problem because it's nit clear for me what exactly you are referring to when saying "image". Your question What masking rectangle" makes me think you don't know your uploaded document.

Maybe it can help for you to open the image as a separate document + remove its transparent area around the paper texture to make the dimensions of the paper equal to the dimensions of the image file (= crop the image to the paper). Then, If reloaded to the layout document, you don't need the masking rectangle any more + can apply a stroke around the image easier. Also, you might consider to save the paper texture image as JPG, this can also reduce the file size of currently over 30 MB for this image massively (which honestly isn't really sharp and thus wouldn't cause an obvious visible loss).

lol, yes i figured it out, I didnt realize that this idiot software, made a mask to crop the image.. image being the layer that is showing.  I thought design actually croped the image and that was it.  but no it has to leave a mask there for eternity!   Yes, what you said about saving the cropped image and loading it to use, yes that is what i realized i would have to do to get rid of the mask.  Oh, the size of the image, yes i understand.  Thank you.  I do not mean to confuse you.  😃

thank you again for your help, i love your explanations.