You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Lastly, it's just an aesthetic choice, but when compared to the screenshots of DaVinci Resolve, Photoshop, Octane, etc. the Affinity Publisher ('What Makes A Goth?') one not only feels very amateurish, but also doesn't really showcase the whole 'publisher' idea (no pages, no text frames/flow, text/image wrap, type styles, etc). It could just as easily have been mocked up in Designer or Photo. I'm assuming marketing are still waiting for final artwork/screenshots.

yes, this one was not provided by Serif.....!!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

(sigh) Does this mean, Serif wasted development-manpower for a toy(iPad)?

Yes. They stopped all other development just to prove some people wrong.

Or, more likely, the program is in high demand and they've already got significant market share on iPad, etc so why not increase support? It's helping to fund the development of the other programs.

36 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

yes, this one was not provided by Serif.....!!

You seem so excited about something. Like there should be other things in this screenshot but they aren't visible... dang it

On 10/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, v_kyr said:

So things might possibly go more hand in hand then with Apple’s next iPad product launch. - Though my personal reminders do tell me, to look at the end of the year for some MacOS Xmas gift based update of this ...

publisher-v2-dec.png.3859d2dc5619f8398a7833dc9d39c6e0.png

(All information is supplied without guarantee.)

Well, that was to be expected, wasn't it? - When Apple announces a new, or revised hardware product, they always also give a brief insight into any software innovations that can be expected to come along in this regard. - In this case for iPad hardware, then also a slightly peek preview of a new upcoming "APub for iPad" software.

And Serif of course also has an interest in it that Apple then (pre)shows some of their upcoming products, so to say a win-win situation and good advert for both sides then!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well, that was to be expected, wasn't it? - When Apple announces a new, or revised hardware product, they always also give a brief insight into any software innovations that can be expected to come along in this regard. - In this case for iPad hardware, then also a slightly peek preview of a new upcoming "APub for iPad" software.

And Serif of course also has an interest in it that Apple then (pre)shows some of their upcoming products, so to say a win-win situation and good advert for both sides then!

A little more than that maybe. They're probably testing on the latest hardware. Which means both have potentially had the ability to provide feedback either direction into the development process. It suggests collaboration, imo.

3 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

A little more than that maybe. They're probably testing on the latest hardware. Which means both have potentially had the ability to provide feedback either direction into the development process. It suggests collaboration, imo.

That goes without saying, especially when it comes to Apple Store apps, which are (usually) checked by Apple anyway!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, Alex M said:

It’s really great to see Affinity apps gaining more and more recognition from Apple in their product launch marketing content.

..but there are still those 90% who had to wait very long for e.g. HW-acceleration.. which still often causes issues ...
or are still waiting for support of variable fonts.. etc.

2 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Definitely not dead -- this has just been posted on Apples iPad Pro website:

You are late to that party, has already be shown in some other postings previously above!

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That goes without saying, especially when it comes to Apple Store apps, which are (usually) checked by Apple anyway!

I'm not sure you're understanding. If it's a launch product, then maybe they had a developer kit. It means they possibly had access to unfinished, ie not final hardware revisions.

1 minute ago, debraspicher said:

I'm not sure you're understanding. If it's a launch product, then maybe they had a developer kit. It means they possibly had access to unfinished, ie not final hardware revisions.

Of course, for sure both sides had mutual access to these things, how else could or should mutual compatibility be granted at all here.

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Of course, for sure both sides had mutual access to these things, how else could or should mutual compatibility be granted at all here.

Yes. So maybe they were able to provide feedback on the hardware, which ended up in the final outcome.. which is interesting... edit: and/or vice-versa

The new 12.9” iPad Pro - f***in’ expensive!

32500 SEK, and that is the price in Sweden without pencil and keyboard - with them it will be 42000:- SEK ($4000)!

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

21 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

..but there are still those 90% who had to wait very long for e.g. HW-acceleration.. which still often causes issues ...
or are still waiting for support of variable fonts.. etc.

I have truly big hopes for these to be solved in v2. Along with other new cool features, fixes and enhancements.

42 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

The new 12.9” iPad Pro - f***in’ expensive!

32500 SEK, and that is the price in Sweden without pencil and keyboard - with them it will be 42000:- SEK ($4000)!

Normal, especially for Apple's pricing policy, these days. - Inflation in Europe, currently strong dollar exchange rate, high energy and transport prices, etc. etc. - Haven't you seen before what an entry level MBA M2, or iPhone 14 costs these days, so why should one wonder at all about this.

22 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Just in order to name a few former time RISC workstation vendors here, Apollo, DEC, SGI, Sun Microsystems, HP, IBM, NeXT, Acorn ... . All these or at least their former RISC workstation hardware, have been replaced later (... aka nowadays) by mostly Intel/AMD CPU based PCs with some sort of a Linux based OS system flavor.

I'm late to the party, but I have to say it: Silicon Graphics' Irix was, from my personal perspective, peak user interface design at the time. There's a reason SGI went bankrupt and I don't want to come to bad business decisions' defense. But just from an OS perspective, I think they should have never disappeared from the workstation landscape. Just imagine the Affinity suite running in a modern Irix environment … I simply can't stress enough how much I loved the Irix interface and how genuinely curious I am how the look and feel would have evolved if it wasn't for SGI's death.

11 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

...from my personal perspective, peak user interface design at the time.

I wasn't that much thrilled about their Motif based X11 L&F, in contrast to that the NeXT Display Postscript based one was much better (real WYSIWYG) and light years ahead.

1 hour ago, ceocan said:

The iPad Pro is available on October 26th. So maybe V2 of the Affinity Suite will also launch on that date. Fingers crossed

Don’t count on that regarding Affinity Publisher for iPad - Apple used screenshots from iPad-Publisher already in early june this year, so, that isn’t any given proof that Publisher for iPad is near release…

I still believe in summer/fall release 2023…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Don’t count on that regarding Affinity Publisher for iPad - Apple used screenshots from iPad-Publisher already in early june this year, so, that isn’t any given proof that Publisher for iPad is near release…

I still believe in summer/fall release 2023…

Relentless. Killjoy