You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ok, so, yet another week has passed by - and we still miss Affinity Publisher for iPad…

Just 77 days left of this year, and, Serif Labs latest promise to release Publisher for iPad this year seems to be harder and harder to achieve…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

8 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Just 77 days left of this year ...

So things might possibly go more hand in hand then with Apple’s next iPad product launch. - Though my personal reminders do tell me, to look at the end of the year for some MacOS Xmas gift based update of this ...

publisher-v2-dec.png.3859d2dc5619f8398a7833dc9d39c6e0.png

(All information is supplied without guarantee.)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Serif Labs latest promise to release Publisher for iPad this year seems to be harder and harder to achieve…

This promise doesn't exist, sleeper. It's "soon".* Now I heard from a friend that Serif interrupted APub for iPad + turned their focus completely on energy saving since very recently, because rumour has it that Apple is planning an iPad that has a solar panel built into the screen instead of a charging socket. Promised for any soon year.

* I appreciate the German version: "possibly soon" | "vorraussichtlich in Kürze"

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I only got my hands on a NeXT Cube at the Ircam in Paris. They were using it for 16-channel audio playback, using the internal Motorola DSP and their spatialization software. At the time it was already an obsolete machine, being replaced by Macs with Korg OasysPCI audio cards.

When announced, I was shocked by the way both the monitor, keyboard and mouse were attached to the main unit by a single cable. Order or things, Zen, clear-like-water. Steve was there at his best.

Paolo

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

I appreciate the German version

If the German localization of the Serif web site is like the Italian one, we can elaborate on all the sibylline messages they are sending with the ambiguous wording…

Paolo

40 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

we can elaborate on all the sibylline messages

A friend told me that the user @AffinityMakesMeSmile is a persona designed by Serif to entertain the community with nonsense to keep potential customers on hold. Unfortunately, the character is far from British humour or Monty Python quality but sticks more to the style of Boris Johnson. Well, perhaps this certain delay is precisely British humour in this case – which could appear brilliant from another point of view. Simply sibylline.

PS: my friend never lies!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

A friend told me that...

Weird, I think I know your friend too. Does your friend have average colour hair?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

I only got my hands on a NeXT Cube at the Ircam in Paris. They were using it for 16-channel audio playback, using the internal Motorola DSP and their spatialization software. At the time it was already an obsolete machine, being replaced by Macs with Korg OasysPCI audio cards.

european_expo_next.jpg.abff2dccdd5554cc237f8718e941314e.jpg

My french Buddies were from Cub'x Systemes in Paris (Rue Felix Pyat 92043 Paris — La Defense), they were the creators of Cub'X Windows for NeXTstep/OpenStep. - I once ported the huge Sun XView system toolkit (libraries etc. together with it's olwm and olvwm window managers) over for the NeXT with the help of their Cub'X Windows system. I recall that that took me nearly half a year, since the frustrating thing those days was, the bunch of omitted C pointer dereferencing bugs inside Sun's huge XView source code. Sun had many bugs there inside, which interestingly had not any bad side effect when compiled on their Sun Workstations, since their SPARC C compiler handled C pointers differently here when compiling, in contrast to NeXT's GNU based C compilers. So I recall that the whole was a lot of sisyphean task due to the mass of source code to adapt.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

21 hours ago, thomaso said:

That is why I still wonder what you, @Granddaddy meant with "My experience with NeXT is that the machine was dead on arrival."

The expression means NeXT had no future.

As I mentioned, the NeXT rapidly disappeared; indeed it almost never appeared at all despite pressure applied by various high-level administrators on our campus. The company limited its market to higher education, telling us they would never sell to business. How were they to discover what the computer might be used for if they excluded entire classes of creative people from using it? Did they not realize that people from higher education go to work in business, start their own businesses, provide services to businesses?

Users are looking for solutions, not for ideologically-driven technology demonstrations and imagined design purity.

And so the world distribution of operating systems and hardware platforms became what it is because of countless user decisions over the last 40 years. Let's forgo a discussion of the many operating systems, microprocessor architectures, software solutions, and computers that were once said to be the waves of the future replacing all others. Their histories are readily available on the Internet.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

3 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

And so the world distribution of operating systems and hardware platforms became what it is because of countless user decisions over the last 40 years. Let's forgo a discussion of the many operating systems, microprocessor architectures, software solutions, and computers that were once said to be the waves of the future replacing all others. Their histories are readily available on the Internet.

What you're describing is between the lines, the so called former times Unix Workstation segment, which the NeXT hardware was finally counted too here.

All those former times Unix RISC CPU (SPARC, MIPS, PA-RISC, Power PC, ARM1 ...) & Moto CPU workstation vendors either disappeared, or at least their former times RISC CPU workstations & OS (SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, NeXTstep/Openstep, RISC OS ...) systems disappeared from the scene after some area. Maybe no surprise when recalling their former price segment.

Just in order to name a few former time RISC workstation vendors here, Apollo, DEC, SGI, Sun Microsystems, HP, IBM, NeXT, Acorn ... . All these or at least their former RISC workstation hardware, have been replaced later (... aka nowadays) by mostly Intel/AMD CPU based PCs with some sort of a Linux based OS system flavor.

And the interesting exception part nowadays from this is, that Apple (with it's MacOS "NeXT inheritance" and thus a BSD based Unix system) changed again towards an own developed main ARM based RISC CPU/SoC architecture!

Here's a typical workstation based software from those days, which were running on most Unix based platforms...

framemaker_3.0.jpg.2a88bf77411f921d5894b575787fb922.jpg

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:
4 hours ago, thomaso said:

A friend told me that...

Weird, I think I know your friend too. Does your friend have average colour hair?

Weird, indeed! I thought @thomaso doesn't have any friends at all!

(SCNR)

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

This promise doesn't exist, sleeper. It's "soon".* Now I heard from a friend that Serif interrupted APub for iPad + turned their focus completely on energy saving since very recently, because rumour has it that Apple is planning an iPad that has a solar panel built into the screen instead of a charging socket. Promised for any soon year.

* I appreciate the German version: "possibly soon" | "vorraussichtlich in Kürze"

Although it may be a reply with ”some” irony, but, don’t underestimate the anger of the Publisher customers on desktop that has been waiting for Publisher for iPad for years now…

Can’t believe why Serif Labs can’t give us a real datum to aim at?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

1 hour ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Because they want to write it in Publisher 2.0, and are waiting for it to be released to write it!

Paolo

Because as they have explained many times, they will not offer any specific info about when to expect an update for any of their products or what features it will include because no matter how they word it, some users will take that as a promise or guarantee that it will be released on some particular date with those particular features.

It is the same for almost all software companies, & for the same reason.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
17 minutes ago, artmischke said:

as this screenshot from apple´s website shows it...

Cool. Source ?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

To be honest...looking much more for the MAC/PC versions....I´m using IPad, Mac and PC(Surface devices) and I´m still not convinced about the IPad versions or with the way an I pad works.. Have Photo and Designer as IPad Versions and I´m way more interested in the PC/Mac versions than IPad. Having much more fun with my Surface device than with the IPad!

Regards

Steffen 

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Cool. Source ?

Also,

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/10/apple-introduces-next-generation-ipad-pro-supercharged-by-the-m2-chip/

3 image down, scroll it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It's lovely to see it, but I'm curious about the 'three lines/hamburger menu' and and 'three dots menu' beside each other. I was hoping the folks at Serif were going to clean-up the iPad UI/UX (specifically those menus), but this makes me a little anxious. Hopefully it's just a screenshot from an early build. 

Lastly, it's just an aesthetic choice, but when compared to the screenshots of DaVinci Resolve, Photoshop, Octane, etc. the Affinity Publisher ('What Makes A Goth?') one not only feels very amateurish, but also doesn't really showcase the whole 'publisher' idea (no pages, no text frames/flow, text/image wrap, type styles, etc). It could just as easily have been mocked up in Designer or Photo. I'm assuming marketing are still waiting for final artwork/screenshots.

Anyway, it's not released yet, and I'm still optimistic Publisher v2 (both on the iPad and macOS/Windows) will exceed many of our expectations.