You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

That is most likely what I was (mis)remembering. Thanks.

Would be interesting to see an Atari 2600 try to emulate Mac OS 7 though.  I kind of wish that emulator existed so I could try it.  :)

These days, you can emulate Mac OS 6 and 7, the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, Nintendo and a number of other systems all on a Raspberry Pi.

So, I guess that means Serif needs to have a Raspberry Pi version of the Affinity Suite!  :35_thinking:

On 10/7/2022 at 10:33 AM, KC Honie said:

Even if you are in the throws of coding version 2, you still have to fix the major issues in v 1.xx…  

Just consider it dead, affinity photo and other serif products are dead. No updates, no activities, no life signals, that means it's dead for good

5 hours ago, dcr said:

Would be interesting to see an Atari 2600 try to emulate Mac OS 7 though.  I kind of wish that emulator existed so I could try it.  :)

These days, you can emulate Mac OS 6 and 7, the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, Nintendo and a number of other systems all on a Raspberry Pi.

So, I guess that means Serif needs to have a Raspberry Pi version of the Affinity Suite!  :35_thinking:

I wouldn't expect anything like that as Serif doesn't even provide any fixes or updates for existing products, looks like the business is not sustainable anymore, I'm waiting for official death announcement 

15 hours ago, InfoCentral said:

I am still patiently waiting for the android version.

Perhaps close after the release of the iPad version - 2032?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

2 hours ago, Toomaj said:

I wouldn't expect anything like that as Serif doesn't even provide any fixes or updates for existing products, looks like the business is not sustainable anymore, I'm waiting for official death announcement 

Here I must agree!

Very quiet from Serif Labs nowadays… Not a single update/bugfix for any products since march 2022…

Perhaps Adobe Inc. has put silence on the staff?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 hours ago, Toomaj said:

any fixes or updates for existing products

Yes, it has been mentioned here many times - they are probably working on an "upgrade" to version 2.x

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Toomaj said:

I'm waiting for official death announcement 

You may have a long wait! 😁

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 10/7/2022 at 5:50 AM, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

As I said earlier, don’t expect Publisher for iPad to be released until next summer/fall…

If that would make you leave the fora prior to this winter, I'm all in for Publisher for iPad not coming too soon!

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

25 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

The most vocal supporters of Affinity's death should be ...

Their comments should just be ignored, because it is obvious they do not know enough to do more than make dubious speculations about what Serif is working on, how long it will be before we see what that might be, or how well it will be received by users of Affinity & competing products.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Their comments should just be ignored, because it is obvious they do not know enough to do more than make dubious speculations about what Serif is working on, how long it will be before we see what that might be, or how well it will be received by users of Affinity & competing products.

Let's be fair. It's much more likely at this point it's just people trolling. I've been using ignore since the beginning. I really recommend this instead of responding. It's made the more reasoned discussion easier to follow in-between. Some of the discussions near the beginning were fair enough, I think, but then we lost the plot someplace when it became about some petty contrivance(s) and no longer about the program suite. The main thread was answered&over at the first reply, but then the rest of it has been mostly people ruminating on things we can't know, some good and bad, and @Patrick Connor turning to his final form, a cat, to cope.

43 minutes ago, Twolane said:

A cat? No way. Completely unacceptable. I would have preferred a dog in V2. Sad. Perhaps a dog in V3?

Being a Mac user from the Palaeolithic era I will say that I still miss Claris the Dogcow.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Affinity will be alive untill they resist something like this:

Adobe - Adobe to Acquire Figma

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I switched from Adobe to Affinity a few years ago, after I was locked out from my Adobe stuff for 3 weeks because Internet problems after moving to a new house.

Customer service was horrible and no help at all. 

Frustrated and angry as hell, I was looking for another solution and find Affinity. I really like it a lot. Sure I miss a few things from Adobe PS , but there is always a workaround. 

Have all 3 Affinity products and will update them as soon as the new version is out. Even at the full price.

No, I do not think Affinity is dead. 

17 minutes ago, loulou said:

Have all 3 Affinity products and will update them as soon as the new version is out. Even at the full price.

As long as enough people are willing to buy the Affinity apps, whether v1, V2, or whatever, for Serif to turn a profit, then Affinity will not be dead.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, Toomaj said:

Though I would very likely try the Affinity Suite on Raspberry Pi if they were to make it, it was not a serious request.  FWIW, neither was the request for an Atari 2600 version.

On 10/8/2022 at 5:35 AM, Toomaj said:

And Adobe always fixed the horrible bugs in their products ? And with each new versions, they care about the older ones? 

1 hour ago, GenewalDesign said:

I'm patiently waiting for the Game Boy Advance version of Affinity.

... and if it's not introduced by the end of the year, that's a clear sign that Affinity is dead. They only have 82 days left.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 hours ago, debraspicher said:

I couldn't bear even pirating it. Too many CC.exes randomly doing "nothing" in the background. I dislike CC.

Like you, I don't like having all this spyware-like in my system, and can't wait to be able to get rid of them.

At the same time, Adobe's financial results continue to show very fast year-after-year growth of their CC user base. Part of them are new customers, and I wonder who can they be, while the publishing sector is quickly falling down. I would believe they are educational customers, whose only alternative offered at school is learning Adobe.

Other CC customers are, as Adobe admits, older CS users now forced to jump to CC. Even if print and pre-press shops are slow in replacing their machines, there is now no longer chance of purchasing Macs that can run CS. Even if wanting to use them with Parallels Desktop (and this is far from a rewarding experience), the new Silicon Macs can no longer run them even under emulation.

So, I'm very curious to see what will happen with the forthcoming launch of Affinity 2.0. In my view, Photo and Designer should have already convinced many to do the jump from Photoshop and Illustrator (I did, and I'm happy I did). But in my larger environment I see most in doubt of jumping ship, with production ongoing and no certainty on the future shape of Publisher. Publisher 1.10 lacks too many features that are fundamental in my job, and the lack of support for Arabic, Hindi, Japanese and Chinese make it a no-go in our international context.

If these things will come, I hope Serif will be very aggressive in pushing their suite in the pro and semi-pro world, even if having to exclude the trendiest kids that Adobe seems to want to catch with their most recent advertising campaigns. All considered, the world is going to end soon, so we need something to work with – now. Funny retouched puppies will be a matter for the after-bomb generations.

Paolo

3 hours ago, PaoloT said:

Like you, I don't like having all this spyware-like in my system, and can't wait to be able to get rid of them.

At the same time, Adobe's financial results continue to show very fast year-after-year growth of their CC user base. Part of them are new customers, and I wonder who can they be, while the publishing sector is quickly falling down. I would believe they are educational customers, whose only alternative offered at school is learning Adobe.

Other CC customers are, as Adobe admits, older CS users now forced to jump to CC. Even if print and pre-press shops are slow in replacing their machines, there is now no longer chance of purchasing Macs that can run CS. Even if wanting to use them with Parallels Desktop (and this is far from a rewarding experience), the new Silicon Macs can no longer run them even under emulation.

So, I'm very curious to see what will happen with the forthcoming launch of Affinity 2.0. In my view, Photo and Designer should have already convinced many to do the jump from Photoshop and Illustrator (I did, and I'm happy I did). But in my larger environment I see most in doubt of jumping ship, with production ongoing and no certainty on the future shape of Publisher. Publisher 1.10 lacks too many features that are fundamental in my job, and the lack of support for Arabic, Hindi, Japanese and Chinese make it a no-go in our international context.

If these things will come, I hope Serif will be very aggressive in pushing their suite in the pro and semi-pro world, even if having to exclude the trendiest kids that Adobe seems to want to catch with their most recent advertising campaigns. All considered, the world is going to end soon, so we need something to work with – now. Funny retouched puppies will be a matter for the after-bomb generations.

Paolo

It's not there yet for the nit pickiest of people. There are certain things even I find painful to do as far as keeping precision, etc and it's always the little things like that will always drive people crazy. So if you see people complain on here, it's madness.

5 hours ago, Pšenda said:

... and if it's not introduced by the end of the year, that's a clear sign that Affinity is dead. They only have 82 days left.

... until their trial expires and then they can start a new trial on 2.0 yay