You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

How will you know that "I" can’t have inside information from the Serif Labs company?

I’ve got friends working in the software business in Nottingham, and, they regular meet staffs from Serif…

Publisher for iPad will NOT be released this year - I would like to have that information from Serif official…

Why?

Are your friends unreliable?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Wow... Long time not been online and then I read something like this here. The title had made me a little scared, but when I then followed the discussion, I was reassured and had to smile shaking my head.

On 7/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, dcr said:

Plus, the applications are only $55 each.  Even at $99 each, it's a better value than Adobe.  And Serif seems to have occasional 25% and 50% off sales.  Buy one at a time if you need to.  Wait for a sale.

That is a fact. We should not forget what we have already received in terms of software. For just $55 max, I have photo editing software that plays against the top dog. I would pay that for Adobe almost every month just to be able to use the software. Just be happy and thankful that the development is as far as it is and still affordable.

I can understand reporting bugs and not being happy with some things, but you should not forget what we have already received so far and the work behind it.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, dsnaps12 said:

Yeah the software is great. Each app is only several features away from blowing away other apps.

Full Ack! 👍

On 8/13/2022 at 3:40 PM, ATP said:

I've personally seen Affinity Photo remove small details like single strands of hair if the subject is small enough in the frame, even at 100% export quality JPEG. Nothing major at all and you'd never notice unless zooming way in and comparing original versus edit, but still it's a loss of detail.

Serious? There's no algorithm that works 100% accurately. If you want it to be 100%, you still have to find the potential yourself. All tools are just tools, as the name already says, but not for substituting the user.

From my side, I can only appeal to Serif not to be impressed by such discussions. A great job has been done! I have purchased all three main products and use them for everything around photo, design and publishing. Great benefit by great price! Personally, I don't miss anything for my purposes that Adobe, for example, would offer me.

As I am a developer myself, I would like to advise the team: Take the time you need and thank you for your effort!

2 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

How will you know that can’t have inside information from the Serif Labs company?

I’ve got friends working in the software business in Nottingham, and, they regular meet staffs from Serif…

Publisher for iPad will NOT be released this year - I would like to have that information from Serif official…

If you have serious information from inside Serif, why asking for confirmation? You are very self-confident about this, then confirmation is optional for you.

"I met this man down the pub. He has a mate, who knows someone with inside info about Serif. He said Affinity is dead! – He also said that the moon landings never happened, the world is controlled by an elite group of aliens and that he often sees Elvis shopping in his local supermarket!"

The way some people are so desperate to prove that they are are special, and have inside knowledge denied to everyone else, really "makes me smile"!
(Never any proof or evidence, just the idea that if you keep repeating misinformation long enough people will believe anything!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

"I met this man down the pub. He has a mate, who knows someone with inside info about Serif. He said Affinity is dead! – He also said that the moon landings never happened, the world is controlled by an elite group of aliens and that he often sees Elvis shopping in his local supermarket!"

The way some people are so desperate to prove that they are are special, and have inside knowledge denied to everyone else, really "makes me smile"!
(Never any proof or evidence, just the idea that if you keep repeating misinformation long enough people will believe anything!)

Well have to say that man you met in the pub got one thing correct ' the world is controlled by an elite group of aliens' they call them politicians 😃

• Staff

That's enough speculation about other users motivation and intent.... enough.

Expressing your opinions doesn't require pulling other people's to bits. It's not just unproductive it's pointless, as is most of the guesswork going on here. It will all become clearer soon enough.

I don't want these forums to be somewhere people cannot post for fear of being ridiculed and I'm referring to lurkers here who are put off saying anything when this sort of thing is posted.

Stay polite and considerate or the thread will be locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

So what do you make of what @Patrick Connor just posted about it all becoming clearer soon enough?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

So what do you make of (...) soon (...)?

Just curious: Is there a verb in English for "comparative"? – In English "soon" can have a comparative & superlative, while it does not in German "bald" (respectively "sooner" is translated as "früher" / "earlier", which actually is a comparison but no comparative in terms of grammar).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

26 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Just curious: Is there a verb in English for "comparative"? – In English "soon" can have a comparative & superlative, while it does not in German "bald" (respectively "sooner" is translated as "früher" / "earlier", which actually is a comparison but no comparative in terms of grammar).

I am not entirely sure of what you are asking but in everyday English "soon" typically means within a short period; in the near future; or promptly. IOW, not at any specific time but before much time has past.

So "soon enough" implies we will not have to wait very long before it is clear(er) when APub for iPad will be released.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Scene: A family in a car driving along a road.

Small child "When will we get there?"

Parent "Soon"

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If now Serif Labs is 100% absolutly sure that Publisher for iPad will be rekeased this year, why can’t they give us a date?

Why are they so secret about that? This year pass soon passed 75% of all days, so, together with that, it would be easy to pick a date…?

But, they can’t, because it is too much hussle left with it, and it’s not that easy to have the Studio Link technology stable enough just now, and it’s just 80 working days left of 2022…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

@R C-R, @Old Bruce, Thanks & sorry for misleading, I have no doubts about the meanings of "soon", "sooner" or "soonest" (actually the only clear meaning is "in the future" while any specification like "not long" or "not too long" or "very soon" imho deosn't really specify it more precise but just implies to specify it, unless an absolute date or period gets mentioned.

So, my question was just initiated by "soon" – but asking generally for the verb for the grammar noun "comparative", like xyz in:

"We can xyz  the relative word 'soon' to 'sooner' and "soonest"
but we can not xyz the word 'later' (which does not have to be the comparative of 'late') or the more precise 'now' or 'tomorrow'.

(In German the missing word is "steigern", usually translated as "increase". But do you increase 'soon' to 'sooner'?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

43 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

If now Serif Labs is 100% absolutly sure that Publisher for iPad will be rekeased this year, why can’t they give us a date?

Isn't it obvious why, just like every other software company, they are not going to commit to a specific release date? 

Affinity Photo 

To paraphrase @R C-R

Like any privately held, or publicly traded, company, they are not obligated to commit to a specific release date. Hell I bet they know something about an upcoming new chip architecture or Windows OS which will upend all current computers systems. Perhaps the company astrologer has forbidden them. Most likely they have simply lost the only copy of the source code and have had to start from scratch. They are embarrassed about that last one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yet another week has passed by, and, no sight of Affinity Publisher for iPad…

Just 94 days left of this year, or, 70 workdays…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

Just 94 days left of this year, or, 70 workdays…

What makes you think the developers do not work on weekends?

Affinity Photo 

On 9/22/2022 at 6:30 PM, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

the Studio Link technology

Just curious - why do you think the first version of APublisher for iPad will (must have) this technology?
If there should be a major problem with it, they will simply add it in the next update.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Since there are only 94 days, 5 hours and two minutes left until the end of the year, developers are definitely looking for Christmas gifts on the weekends.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Wow.  Only ended up here because I had to clear cookies and thus re-sign in, and I saw this headline.  I will say I am in complete agreement about the subscription model being a major turn off.  I bought designer this summer at the full price, and added the Ipad when I saw the sale.  I'm getting good value for my money thus far, and very well might pay for the upgrade just to support a company that doesn't do subscriptions.

But the rest of the stuff about Serif owing answers, and definitive dates....not with that.  It will come when it comes.

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

Just because they did’nt worked under the covid pandemic!

According to Patrick at Serif, the delay of Publisher is because of the lockdown under the pandemic…

Next summer/fall release - 100% sure…

15 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Just curious - why do you think the first version of APublisher for iPad will (must have) this technology?
If there should be a major problem with it, they will simply add it in the next update.

IF Serif had abandon Studio Link on iPad, it has been released summer of 2020 - 100% on that…