You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

31 minutes ago, thomaso said:

How did you count £120 for Photoshop? It appears to be £19.97.

No doubt, of cause the subscription model is more demanding for customers. My point was rather that also the perpetual license is limited and may be different than it appears. Not only the computers setup influences the situation (yes, I may keep an older computer to be able to use old software) but also the bug fixes delivered with updates can force customers to purchase updates.

I still have quite well in mind that ID 1.0 was not usable because of too many crashes, it became better with 1.5. but really useful with 2.0, which was not a free upgrade, while still this version appeared useless for some users. Unfortunately nowadays the many forums massages of that time are not accessible any more, here is one of those posts combined with a former Apple commercial.

Such things can theoretically happen with the purchased version 1 of Affinity if the current bugs get fixed only in a version 2. This can become an issue not only for users of older systems but also for those who currently suffer in the software lack to work with the newest hardware failure free.

£9.99 a month, 12 month contract, £480 for the 4 years I had it.

To justify a subscription I would need an income from using the software, I could go a month without needing PS (a thousand years without needing bridge & LR), hardly a day goes by without needing one of the 'Affinity three'

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

However, we all use subscriptions without hesitation, e.g. for a flat, a telephone, insurance, the newspaper or other media, a vehicle, etc.

I accept subscription for things that I consume, not for things that would not change over time and that I need to have. I own my home and my car, and don't want to remain without them if I have no money.

I've had a second house for rent for some time, and I hated seeing that I would have ended paying more for something that I would have never owned.

I can live without TV, and can reduce consumption of energy and gas. I can stop reading newspapers. But I can't cease using my work tools, and want to have them always at my disposal.

Paolo

With subscriptions too, the files you create with the software are effectively held hostage and, the longer you subscribe, the more files you probably have, which means the more files that are held hostage which tends to lock you in and also makes you more hesitant to change.  Basically, they lock you into a sunk cost fallacy.

Also, what happens when they stop offering a tool you need?

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

But I can't cease using my work tools, and want to have them always at my disposal.

34 minutes ago, dcr said:

what happens when they stop offering a tool you need?

You both seem to forget that a.) there were centuries before computers where media were created analogue with technologies that can still be used and b.) digital hardware & software kept changing and being discontinued for decades, making various data unusable or inaccessible years before subscription models became a reality. I am not arguing for subscription but would like to weigh up what arguments against it are really related to this model. The idea of "ownership" does not.

The general desire to "own" things sounds more philosophical or ethical than technical or economic. The accessibility of software is primarily a question of compatibility or monopoly and not of perpetual or temporary licences. Today I can rent ID for 1 months and batch-convert tons of indd documents to idml / xml / pdf files to access them via Affinity. I would be more concerned about proprietary file formats that are not interchangeable. They are the source of dependencies.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

I would be more concerned about proprietary file formats that are not interchangeable. They are the source of dependencies.

This. I have learned that keeping things in formats like TIFF and TEXT and PDF (for vectors, not text) is the best way to work.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

The general desire to "own" things sounds more philosophical or ethical than technical or economic.

I can't agree on it not being a technical or economic matter. It is an economic matter, since renting costs much more on the long time. Something you own can be sold to a lower price to someone still needed "obsolete" technology. Something you rent can't.

But I agree that it is (also) a philosophical matter, that can be represented with the ant and the cicada fable. The ant wants to own. The cicada doesn't, since it is not worried by the future.

Paolo

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I have learned that keeping things in formats like TIFF and TEXT and PDF (for vectors, not text) is the best way to work.

Both TIFF and PDF are proprietary formats by Adobe. They have been generous to offer them as free formats. But they can decide to ask you a royalty for using them (do you remember MP3?).

Paolo

4 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

Both TIFF and PDF are proprietary formats by Adobe. They have been generous to offer them as free formats. But they can decide to ask you a royalty for using them (do you remember MP3?).

Paolo

Adobe has nothing to do with the pdf format anymore. Pdf is essentially an open format. 

On 9/18/2022 at 5:54 PM, PaoloT said:

I can't agree on it not being a technical or economic matter. It is an economic matter, since renting costs much more on the long time. Something you own can be sold to a lower price to someone still needed "obsolete" technology. Something you rent can't.

But I agree that it is (also) a philosophical matter, that can be represented with the ant and the cicada fable. The ant wants to own. The cicada doesn't, since it is not worried by the future.

Paolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOTd78ZTDGE

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Yet another week has passed and still no sign of Publisher for iPad…

Serif Labs has 14 weeks (103 days) left to release it (if we believe what they said earlier this month)…

BUT, I’m sceptical… It seems more realistic with an release next summer…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

2 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Yet another week has passed and still no sign of Publisher for iPad…

Serif Labs has 14 weeks (103 days) left to release it (if we believe what they said earlier this month)…

BUT, I’m sceptical… It seems more realistic with an release next summer…

I'm willing to bet it will be released in October, at Apple's event to launch the new iPads, Macs, iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura.

5 hours ago, tudor said:

I'm willing to bet it will be released in October, at Apple's event to launch the new iPads, Macs, iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura.

No…

If you’ve seen the buggy latest beta version of Publisher for iPad you may realize that it’s not ready for public sale before next summer…

The Studio Link technology seems to be the big issue…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

As regards to the release of Affinity Publisher for iPad, I can confidently predict (without any inside information whatsoever), that it will be released ...

(Wait for the great revelation!)

(Big drum roll!)

... When Serif are ready to release it!

(Now can we please stop all this pointless speculation?)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff
2 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

No…

If you’ve seen the buggy latest beta version of Publisher for iPad you may realize that it’s not ready for public sale before next summer…

The Studio Link technology seems to be the big issue…

No…

If you’ve seen the fab latest beta version of Publisher for iPad you would not say this, ...... so.... you haven't seen the latest (?or any?) Eric

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

As regards to the release of Affinity Publisher for iPad, I can confidently predict (without any inside information whatsoever), that it will be released ...

(Wait for the great revelation!)

(Big drum roll!)

... When Serif are ready to release it!

(Now can we please stop all this pointless speculation?)

Why speculate??

We are A LOT of customers that have been waiting YEARS for the release of Publisher for iPad…

31 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Why speculate??

We are A LOT of customers that have been waiting YEARS for the release of Publisher for iPad…

Do you really think speculating about it will change anything?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes!

9 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:
18 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes!

What specifically do you think it will change?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

N.P.M. ==  Non Participating Member.

This feels like an appropriate thread: What is the secret about this signature? And what was the goal or sense of your various posts that you submitted with a . only?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

What specifically do you think it will change?

My goal is that I want Serif Labs to agree that they are lying about the release/status of Publisher for iPad…

It seems impossible to fix all bugs and stability issues on Publisher on this short period left of 2022 - so, 2023 is the year we probably can buy Publisher for iPad (if we’re lucky)…

1 hour ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

It seems impossible to fix all bugs and stability issues on Publisher on this short period left of 2022 - so, 2023 is the year we probably can buy Publisher for iPad (if we’re lucky)…

There is no way you could know how many bugs there are left to fix before they feel they can release the first retail version of APub for iPad, or for that matter how many features that first version will support -- remember, the iPad versions of the other two Affinity apps do not support all the features of the desktop versions, so even if they decide not to implement something you expect them to, that does not mean the release has to be delayed.

In short, you are just speculating about things you have no direct knowledge of --IOW, just guessing.

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

There is no way you could know how many bugs there are left to fix before they feel they can release the first retail version of APub for iPad, or for that matter how many features that first version will support -- remember, the iPad versions of the other two Affinity apps do not support all the features of the desktop versions, so even if they decide not to implement something you expect them to, that does not mean the release has to be delayed.

In short, you are just speculating about things you have no direct knowledge of --IOW, just guessing.

How will you know that can’t have inside information from the Serif Labs company?

I’ve got friends working in the software business in Nottingham, and, they regular meet staffs from Serif…

Publisher for iPad will NOT be released this year - I would like to have that information from Serif official…

21 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

How will you know that can’t have inside information from the Serif Labs company?

Because considering NDA's & what Serif does & does not choose to share with outside contractors, your claims of "inside information" are not credible.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Because considering NDA's & what Serif does & does not choose to share with outside contractors, your claims of "inside information" are not credible.

Says who?