You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5 hours ago, pagelayoutt said:

I'm eager to give Serif my money (while my family still has an income) for additional programs (Video editing? Comic creation?) or useful plugin modules for specific tasks.

Ditto, but I'd like to see more features added to Designer and Publisher before they add additional programs to the mix.  That said, I wouldn't mind a Bridge equivalent.  I know there are already non-Adobe alternatives, but something that integrates better with the Affinity suite would be nice.  But, of course, the Holy Grail would be a Fireworks equivalent.  I still have not found anything that has its feature set (and I'm talking Fireworks CS3 -- don't know what new features later versions added) and that does such a good job of doing animated GIFs.  Maybe animated GIFs aren't as popular anymore?  But, maybe something that could do animated GIFs plus whatever the future equivalent of an animated GIF is.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, dcr said:

I bought Publisher at the pre-release price.  Designer and Photo I bought through the App Store way back when and I don't remember what I paid for those.  Possibly half-off.  And that would have been half off the previous $49 price.  But I think they make additional money from brush packs and art packs and stuff like that?

I would guess that a good chunk of their user base are people that strongly dislike subscriptions because that was a driving factor for a lot of people to switch over to Affinity.

There are two applications I have that are sort of subscription-based.  You can subscribe and you get all updates during your subscription period for free.  But, once your subscription lapses, you can continue to use the last version that was released during your subscription.  One controls it by Internet activation (which I'm not keen on) and the other by restricting downloads to active subscribers.

I bought an application years ago with access to "extras" online. Recently, it wouldn't allow me to access that material and mentioned something about subscription. I'm not happy that took place and I'm glad I made the move to use Affinity. I do NOT like subscriptions. I purchased a perpetual license recently for a PDF application and I'm content going that route. Yes I only get some major updates, but at least it doesn't keep nickel and diming me. 

6 minutes ago, Russ W said:

Hi, Well if Serif don't get there backsides in gear soon both Topaz and On1 Photo Raw are releasing Topaz new product October, On1 Photo Raw 2023 October🖥️

Russ.

There is a world between these apps and Photo.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

23 hours ago, AlainP said:

There is a world between these apps and Photo.

But they are fulfilling a need that Serif refuses to acknowledge.  As software development goes competing in that space would be a fairly trivial mattet…

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

4 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

But they are fulfilling a need that Serif refuses to acknowledge.  As software development goes competing in that space would be a fairly trivial mattet…

Weird comparison. Topaz are tools for quite limited tasks, On1 is a image editor and DAM, – none of them is a DTP layout application like APhoto. It's a bit like comparing cars & bikes or bikes & e-bikes, while all do transport. Do you post such statements in the Topaz pr On1 forum, too, since those apps refuse to acknowledge properties offered by Serif?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

none of them is a DTP layout application like APhoto

BTW, Publisher is DTP layout app, not Photo.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Just now, NNN said:

BTW, Publisher is DTP layout app, not Photo.

It depends what one wants to desktop publish. There are various media which can get created in APhoto, e.g. logos, labels, letterheads, business cards, 2 sided trifold flyers, etc.

Actually APub can be seen as "just" an app which combines features of ADesigner + APhoto + additional features for comfort, workflow speed + efficiency. One could even create a book in APhoto only, useless cumbersome but possible.

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

One could even create a book in APhoto only, useless cumbersome but possible.

There are all kind of us but, nevertheless, Publisher is still DTP and layout app.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, NNN said:

Publisher is still DTP and layout app.

No doubt. The question was whether APhoto – in the stated comparison with Topaz or On1 – can be used as a layout app and thus can't get seriously compared with these apps.

As I read the forum questions there seem to be quite a few people using APhoto for various media types, not photos / images only. Also the text tools indicate a purpose "by design" to layout such media in APhoto, for both screen or printed desktop publishing.

Just 105 days left of this year now…

And, not a sign of a Affinity Publisher for iPad version in sight…

As I wrote earlier - it must be impossible to release Publisher for iPad this year - too much to do before we reach an stable beta version…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

4 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

As I wrote earlier - it must be impossible to release Publisher for iPad this year - too much to do before we reach an stable beta version…

What makes you think you know how much work remains to be done? Do you work for Serif?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

... and what is the criteria for "stable beta version"?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

One could even create a book in APhoto only

To DTP or not to DTP? … Hardly this user is alone with the workflow decision to layout + desktop publish for instance a 72 page book in APhoto, @NNN @MikeW(whereas, honestly, in case there would be only 1 full image per page then an app with DAM maybe more efficient)

423339236_APhotoforphotobook.thumb.jpg.3cf4fb79636cc2f4561cb904602dd2fb.jpg

So you point to a user's thread wherein they cannot print their "book" properly as evidence of your assertion?

It's not that it cannot be done under certain circumstances. I've fixed too many books where the users used an inappropriate application for their books (by transferring them to an appropriate application).

I have used screwdrivers as a prybar too. Doesn't make the screwdriver a prybar.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

What makes you think you know how much work remains to be done? Do you work for Serif?

Sitting on inside information.

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

... and what is the criteria for "stable beta version"?

The criteria, a stable beta version ready for RC…

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

evidence of your assertion?

What assertion?

• People do use APhoto for more than just photo editing or image manipulation but e.g. for logos, labels, flyers, posters etc.
• APhoto offers in its Char & Par panels with around 100 text options nearly the same amount of text options as it does in APub. (while e.g. ON1 offers ~ 10 text settings)
DTP is an abbreviation for desktop publishing, without a global detailed definition. It refers to digital static 2D layout as opposed to analogue processes, while pure photo development or colour adjustment with or without masks is neither analogue nor digital a process I would name publishing or layout.

These thoughts respectively differences between APhoto versus On1 / Topaz are enough for the above comparison to be considered quite useless.

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

Whatever - but, I’m convinced that Serif has low priority to develop Publisher for iPad ready for prime time…

It has been FOUR years now since the Mac/Win version of Publisher was released in public beta - f***in’ annoying…

11 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Whatever - but, I’m convinced that Serif has low priority to develop Publisher for iPad ready for prime time…

It has been FOUR years now since the Mac/Win version of Publisher was released in public beta - f***in’ annoying…

First, what do you mean by "ready for prime time" -- are you talking about a release candidate, an earlier stable beta version that may as yet not have all the features planned for the retail version implemented, or a retail version they can submit to the Apple App Store? Second, keep in mind that for iPad betas, Serif has to use Apple's TestFlight app .

There is no other way to provide either beta or retail versions of iPad apps, so in all cases Apple has to approve the apps before they can be offered to anyone.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, thomaso said:

Weird comparison. Topaz are tools for quite limited tasks, On1 is a image editor and DAM, – none of them is a DTP layout application like APhoto. It's a bit like comparing cars & bikes or bikes & e-bikes, while all do transport. Do you post such statements in the Topaz pr On1 forum, too, since those apps refuse to acknowledge properties offered by Serif?

AP is not a desktop layout application!!!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

On 8/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, Winsome said:

I simply don't think you know how many people buy many of their things on credit. I have credit scored people who applied for credit. A flood of applications per day. And let's see how world trends affect that need, do you think fewer are buying on credit in a year?

There is a big difference between buying on credit and the crap adobe subscription model. 

I do not make money from using software so I can't justify spending money every month forever so to pay £120 for photoshop (lightroom was no use and bridge is worse) and NEVER OWN IT (did that for 4 years £480 and no adobe software now I have cancelled the subs). I'd rather pay for the software (on credit if I need to) knowing that I will have the software LONG after it is paid for. I will buy ver 2 when it comes out but stick with whatever version I have if/when Affinity goes on subscription.

8 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

every month forever so to pay £120 for photoshop

Just curious: What currency / country is this? How much is Affinity there?

However, we all use subscriptions without hesitation, e.g. for a flat, a telephone, insurance, the newspaper or other media, a vehicle, etc. So the rental / subscription model seems to be acceptable if the monthly fee for us versus the company is in an economic relationship that does not seem to bring the provider a significantly greater profit than we achieve or feel to get from using their offer.

Considering that also the perpetual license gets limited by the compatibility with a certain state of hardware and operating system, gives the provider the option to handle their purchase model in a similar way like a subscription model: just by stopping developing it for a certain setup. So it depends on the period how fair the purchase model feels for the customers – and not only on the monthly fee for a subscription.

24 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Just curious: What currency / country is this? How much is Affinity there?

However, we all use subscriptions without hesitation, e.g. for a flat, a telephone, insurance, the newspaper or other media, a vehicle, etc. So the rental / subscription model seems to be acceptable if the monthly fee for us versus the company is in an economic relationship that does not seem to bring the provider a significantly greater profit than we achieve or feel to get from using their offer.

Considering that also the perpetual license gets limited by the compatibility with a certain state of hardware and operating system, gives the provider the option to handle their purchase model in a similar way like a subscription model: just by stopping developing it for a certain setup. So it depends on the period how fair the purchase model feels for the customers – and not only on the monthly fee for a subscription.

UK pounds, Affinity is £47.99

We have a choice to rent or buy a flat/house or a car. We buy newspapers. Yes telephone service & insurance is similar to subs model.

Software perpetual license is limited to hardware & os all of which I own and don't HAVE to upgrade to continue using. With suds model if I don't upgrade the computer and/or os the software I'm renting will cease to work or I'll be stuck on an old version while paying towards updates I'll no longer get.

I can use my purchases until I am prepared to pay for upgrades, with subs you have to keep paying or loose it.

49 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

UK pounds, Affinity is £47.99

How did you count £120 for Photoshop? It appears to be £19.97.

No doubt, of cause the subscription model is more demanding for customers. My point was rather that also the perpetual license is limited and may be different than it appears. Not only the computers setup influences the situation (yes, I may keep an older computer to be able to use old software) but also the bug fixes delivered with updates can force customers to purchase updates.

I still have quite well in mind that ID 1.0 was not usable because of too many crashes, it became better with 1.5. but really useful with 2.0, which was not a free upgrade, while still this version appeared useless for some users. Unfortunately nowadays the many forums massages of that time are not accessible any more, here is one of those posts combined with a former Apple commercial.

Such things can theoretically happen with the purchased version 1 of Affinity if the current bugs get fixed only in a version 2. This can become an issue not only for users of older systems but also for those who currently suffer in the software lack to work with the newest hardware failure free.