You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, dcr said:

I bought Publisher at the pre-release price.  Designer and Photo I bought through the App Store way back when and I don't remember what I paid for those.  Possibly half-off.  And that would have been half off the previous $49 price.  But I think they make additional money from brush packs and art packs and stuff like that?

Just to support Serif Labs with money I have bought both versions of every app on both Mac and Windows - totally six license on desktop - and of course both Photo and Designer on iPad…

Next summer I’ll hope Affinity Publisher can be bought, just to complete everything…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

The subscription model if you want to call it that I think would work for Serif is the model the UI app Sketch uses. When you buy you get 1 year of updates then after that you can still continue to use the software going forward. If at some point you see updates you think are worth it you pay the renewal fee for another year of updates. Doing this affinity would need to be consistent with updates.

I'm sorry how this thread degenerated.

I was convinced something was wrong with Serif because the latest AP release contains a bothersome bug with redrawing. I was expecting a fix to be released soon. If it wasn't for this problem, I wouldn't have started any thread.

Yes, AP contains a few flaws that bother me (and other users), but I love this software. So please let's all be patient.

27 minutes ago, J.T said:

I'm sorry how this thread degenerated.

I was convinced something was wrong with Serif because the latest AP release contains a bothersome bug with redrawing. I was expecting a fix to be released soon. If it wasn't for this problem, I wouldn't have started any thread.

Yes, AP contains a few flaws that bother me (and other users), but I love this software. So please let's all be patient.

Yeah the software is great. Each app is only several features away from blowing away other apps. 

Just my two cents.

A forced subscription would just make me stay at 1.x forever, I only use this software as a hobbyist and I don't want to have monthly payment required to use it. I also don't see how any professional would want this, pay forever or you lose access to all your work.

Any form of internet or challenge/response activation would also put me off. This was my main reason together with the beautiful UI for choosing Affinity in the first place. This would make it possible for Serif to pull to plug on any version whenever they'd like, similar to how Adobe no longer allows older CC versions because of licensing issues. And no this has nothing to do with piracy, if I wanted to do that I'd just pirate PS and the problem with older CC versions wouldn't exist either.

I trust Serif isn't going down this road, just detailing my thoughts.

42 minutes ago, ATP said:

Any form of internet or challenge/response activation would also put me a bit off.

I'm there with you.  As a paying customer, it's an inconvenience.  Sometimes a major one.

My first install with that other company where they had Internet activation, the hard drive crashed in the computer as did the second hard drive.  So, two activations used up and, since the hard drives were toast, they could not be deactivated.  So, any time I needed to install on a new computer, I had to call that other company, wait on hold, finally get through, explain the whole thing and then go through whatever they had me do to activate it.

Next computer and next upgrade . . .  the logic board failed.  There's an activation gone that can't be deactivated.  And then that other company finally offered non-activation versions.  Did they tell registered users?  Nope.  So, by the time I found out, poof!, gone.

Did any of that stop pirates?  No.

But, me, a paying user, well, that other company basically treats you like you're nothing.  It's an inconvenience, a pain in the neck and sometimes prevents you from using the software you paid for.

So, no, never again.  If I can't "activate" and use software without an Internet connection, I'll pass.

I pay for the software I use.  Sure, sometimes when it's on sale or at upgrade pricing because, well, I'm not stupid.  If they're going to give me a deal, I'm not going to pass it up.  Regardless, I'm paying, not pirating.

I'm not interested in renting software.  If I buy a license to use it, I want to be able to use it as long as I have something that can run the OS required for the software to run.

13 hours ago, ATP said:

Just my two cents.

A forced subscription would just make me stay at 1.x forever, I only use this software as a hobbyist and I don't want to have monthly payment required to use it. I also don't see how any professional would want this, pay forever or you lose access to all your work.

Any form of internet or challenge/response activation would also put me off. This was my main reason together with the beautiful UI for choosing Affinity in the first place. This would make it possible for Serif to pull to plug on any version whenever they'd like, similar to how Adobe no longer allows older CC versions because of licensing issues. And no this has nothing to do with piracy, if I wanted to do that I'd just pirate PS and the problem with older CC versions wouldn't exist either.

I trust Serif isn't going down this road, just detailing my thoughts.

lots of users left Adobe for Affinity just beause of simple reason = no subscription. once they jump this subscrition train, lots of users move back as Adobe products have all the missing features asked here many times. and keep the 1.x version to be able still control the data created in between ... question is how many is "lots of" :)

10 minutes ago, jussi said:

lots of users left Adobe for Affinity just beause of simple reason = no subscription. once they jump this subscrition train, lots of users move back as Adobe products have all the missing features asked here many times. and keep the 1.x version to be able still control the data created in between ... question is how many is "lots of" :)

I actually switched back to Photoshop and Bridge after using Affinity Photo for over 3 years, because I needed some sort of DAM software, better RAW engine and some photoshop tools + full PSD compatibility. But I still use Affinity Designer for vector work, because it just works better for me than Illustrator.

6 minutes ago, degtrv said:

I actually switched back to Photoshop and Bridge after using Affinity Photo for over 3 years, because I needed some sort of DAM software, better RAW engine and some photoshop tools + full PSD compatibility. But I still use Affinity Designer for vector work, because it just works better for me than Illustrator.

The RAW processing in Affinity is unusable in my opinion, granted I've only tried from Canon and iPhone, but the pictures look completely wrong compared to other software that just nails the look first try.

Problem is, they all want a second Photoshop, but Affinity will be not a Photoshop. its differend en will be.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:17 PM, Nathaliev said:

I already had a bad surprise serif abandoned the website editor software without notice

Those are still a thing?... hard to compete with the amount of CMS' available and sites like Canva, etc. Editors are impractical for what I do.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

7 hours ago, jussi said:

That's the issue, there's no numbers to this statement. It's a generality based on a feeling, not fact. I'm guilty of this sentiment as well.

I can argue "lots of" "people" (illustrators) left Photoshop over the years, for other programs because of the plethora of options. Some people went mobile-only (Procreate). That does not declare Adobe a sinking ship or the alternatives to be the next golden goose.

Simple truth: People use the tools that accomplish whatever it is they need. I moved illustration away from PS for practical reasons. I'd hoped Affinity had a proper brush engine for what I do, but I'm extremely happy with my new option. I was never keen on the clunkiness of Illustrator and the way the program was organized, how it required plugins etc, so dropping Adobe for me was a no-brainer. I used inDesign sparingly. Largely because I only make smaller documents and that technically could've been accomplished with Illustrator, so I didn't need a direct replacement (at the time). Publisher does what I need it to do for smaller documents.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

29 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Apart from Macros and masks?

Sorry. I may have been a little unclear because I am not a native speaker. I meant that there is "the least need for action" on the part of Serif, not "no need for action".

Ich hoffe, ich erlebe es noch, dass die deutschen Anführungszeichen in Affinity Publisher korrekt funktionieren.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:17 AM, Nathaliev said:

I already had a bad surprise serif abandoned the website editor software without notice

It was hardly without notice! Serif made it very clear, years ago, that they were no longer going to sell or support the old "Plus" range of software. They also made it clear what the three new Affinity apps would be and that they did not intend to replace WebPlus or MoviePlus. There have also been a number of posts in these forums, mentioning that the old, legacy, software is no longer supported by Serif.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Serif would shoot itself in the foot when they switch to a subscription, or a permanent internet connection, then I can also take Adobe right away.
The only chance in the market for Serif is the perpetual license, the price and of course what you get for the money (and that's really remarkable).

In the words of Grant Petty, CEO and founder of Blackmagic Design
“Cloud licensors are like slumlords. You have to keep buying from me and the more you’re loyal, the more you’ll get penalized. It’s like your dog does something nice and you beat it with a stick.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2022/04/11/how-an-aussie-from-the-housing-projects-became-a-billionaire-making-gear-for-next-gen-spielbergs/

As far as I'm concerned, they can also launch a paid version every year, provided that appropriate features are built in.
That way, money will definitely come into the till.
I hope for an early V2 and also a Update-Bundle price for Affinity Studio would be nice.

A subscription plan will make me walk away on the day it comes out .... if it ever happens. And I would not be the only one I'm sure.

A permanent Internet connexion to be able to use the software would get me do the same thing.

So many users walked away from Adobe to go to Affinity... why would they do that ?

But I dont worry very much about that. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

There have also been a number of posts in these forums, mentioning that the old, legacy, software is no longer supported by Serif.

In particular:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

A permanent Internet connexion to be able to use the software would get me do the same thing.

For sure.  When that other company went full evil, I hedged my bets.  I bought QuarkXPress and signed up for the Publisher beta and then bought it when available.  Also Scribus.  Because who knew who might have the best chance at being a reasonable InDesign alternative?

Honestly, I think Quark had a good chance but they can't seem to hit the target.  They end up shooting themselves in the foot every time.  People complain about Serif?  Try Quark.  Good grief.  Now they've moved to a system that requires you to connect to the Internet every five days to keep your license activated, otherwise QuarkXPress won't work.  This was part of their idea of making license management easier on users.  LOL.  No.  It's a pain.  What if I don't have Internet access when I need to get something done?

One less customer for Quark.

With Affinity Publisher v1, I can install it, activate it and use it all without ever being connected to the Internet.  Well, I need the Internet to buy it and get the serial number but, after that, I don't need to worry about Internet connectivity at all.

I would have probably been better off taking the money I spent on Quark and buying more Affinity licenses to help support them or donating to Scribus towards their development.

Excited for 2.0. I like new stuff.

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

Software Development is hard to maintain and to do. Model subscription? Bad idea. Some business model like major version and small upgrade payments looks better.

People has to feed everyday. Developers, maybe each two days ☺️.

Recently I've bought Designer and Photo, I'm trying Publisher now and I think It will be next bought.

Thanks Affinity! I'm learning a lot with your apps.