You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 7/23/2022 at 12:00 PM, Fritz_H said:

My guessing: Serif/Affinity will merge with another Company. Perhaps Adobe? perhaps Corel?

Why I guess this:
No Updates, no Betas, no new Videos on YouTube, hardly any new videos by James Ritson, no teasers for new features of upcoming releases..

again: just my private assumption.

Perhaps I’m just repeating myself all the time, but, I have to agree about the total silence of updates and releases since november last year…

Serif Labs don’t like to communicate with their customers, both old one and new ones…

I really really would have an simple answer from Serif about Publisher for iPad - will it come before the end of september? Or, at least this year? OR not until next summer?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

@AffinityMakesMeSmile

It's done when it's done. And when it's done it will be communicated by Serif.

If Serif would now name a date, but this has to be postponed shortly before, then you are also again like a little child on the nerves?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

... the total silence of updates and releases since november last year…

Could have sworn it was March of this year. I will agree it is a minor quibble. Doesn't change the fact that the software I bought several years ago still works.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For perspective, another company whose software I use (infrequently, mind you) hasn't released an update in nine years.  And the next version has been "coming soon" for six years.  On the flip side, if you ask them a question on their forums, they typically respond within a day or two.

I think the subject (rather stupid one might I add considering the support are constantly responding to questions) is Affinity dead or When is the next beta has become so tedious and pathetic that makes me cringe every time as they don't seem to get, the next BETA will be ready whenever it will be ready....! but someone will ask these two questions again and again and again....! 

14 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I think the subject (rather stupid one might I add considering the support are constantly responding to questions) is Affinity dead or When is the next beta has become so tedious and pathetic that makes me cringe every time as they don't seem to get, the next BETA will be ready whenever it will be ready....! but someone will ask these two questions again and again and again....! 

The worst part is they're being accused of being totally being silent on update activity and yet there was a response in the beginning of the thread...

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

Gosh, with all the scuttlebutt about Affinity being in the Dead Zone, I hurried to uploaded another pbook to Ingram and Amazon. Ho-hum.

Which reminds me, after that last post I was forced to reinstall the product and search through a multitude of landfills to retrieve all of my work. Just another busy day in the life of a dedicated user of the product. Which one of you was it that convinced me Affinity was dead and useless???

Well, you were def wrong!

If not already, I am hoping—going forward with the forthcoming version 2.X—bug reports and any kinds of Support be provided by something like Zendesk or similar.

This forum could remain as is for us users to bitch and moan about oddities and be a therapeutic outlet to talk it out amongst ourselves.

My Adobe Creative Cloud is about to be auto-renew on August 1 for the 2022—2023 year.

Many probably know this already, there is already a private beta testing of Affinity 2.X products. The magazine AEC broke that news in their February 2022 article.

Publisher is great for my needs. I am hoping (wishing!!!) that the 2.X release will finally give better support for right-to-left languages and proper support for Indic languages.

I remain patient for the new goodies to be release in 2.X soon.

15 hours ago, debraspicher said:

The worst part is they're being accused of being totally being silent on update activity and yet there was a response in the beginning of the thread...

The biggest problem is that most people only read the headline and then think they can add their two cents. What's even worse is that the majority are able to search for things on Amazon and Ebay, but in a support forum like this they suddenly get dementia and no longer know how to use the search function.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

9 minutes ago, Komatös said:

The biggest problem is that most people only read the headline and then think they can add their two cents. What's even worse is that the majority are able to search for things on Amazon and Ebay, but in a support forum like this they suddenly get dementia and no longer know how to use the search function.

It's really hard to find that information as it's buried in threads on this forum, and some magazine I've never heard about before made an article about a v2 beta but it doesn't pop on Google when I search for anything about Affinity, v2 etc. I've now found out there's actually a some information about the upcoming releases which is great.

I understand why Serif isn't speaking too much about what's coming up, sales, expectations and all that. For people that like to follow the development though it sucks even if it makes sense for the developers.

@ATP

My comment regarding search was not about an ominous version 2, but about the general search behaviour.

I don't care about new features, I want better tool-tips/tutorials/help, so I can actually use the things without forever coming back here or youtube or Google, trying to figure stuff out, like 'Why the heck is my text outlined? How do I make it solid again? I never asked for outlined text. Argh!" which seems far too common the type of experience I get with Affinity products.

I wonder why this thread is continuing … if you look at the previous releases you will see the following:

1.10.4 x October 2021
1.10.5 x March 2022

I think 5 months in between releases is more that adequate, anything less than that and we would be continually having issues. I think Affinity is doing the right thing in their development process without rushing to release.

I also think that we should use the correct product for the processes we undertake as I still see people using Photo for things better suited to Designer, etc.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

6 hours ago, AiDon said:

I wonder why this thread is continuing … if you look at the previous releases you will see the following:

1.10.4 x October 2021
1.10.5 x March 2022

I think 5 months in between releases is more that adequate, anything less than that and we would be continually having issues. I think Affinity is doing the right thing in their development process without rushing to release.

I also think that we should use the correct product for the processes we undertake as I still see people using Photo for things better suited to Designer, etc.

But, the updates to Mac is older than that…

Is just to realize, Serif Labs new strategy to make every app on all platforms version 2.0 (even Publisher for iPad) will delay to next summer…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

• Staff
32 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

But, the updates to Mac is older than that

Er, no they're not

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/71071-latest-affinity-releases-on-each-platform-by-store/&do=findComment&comment=900041

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, AiDon said:

This is not a problem unique to Affinity.  Happens with people using products from that evil subscription company too.

6 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

Ragtime? 😁

:35_thinking: No.

Well, I have just been surveyed by the Affinity Team. It looks like they are preparing to release the next paid update. One of the questions asked suggested a possible subscription option in paying for Affinity. Well, if it is offered alongside paying for the software and owning a version, then there would probably be no harm in that. Hopefully a bundle price will also be upcoming for Affinity Studio.

13 minutes ago, Michael S Harvey said:

Well, if it is offered alongside paying for the software and owning a version, then there would probably be no harm in that.

That's how Adobe started with CC.  Don't want to subscribe?  You can still buy a perpetual license.  Yup.  And, now, if you own a perpetual license, there's a good chance you can't activate it again if you need to reinstall for any reason, so that perpetual license was more like a rental with an indeterminate period.

It would be concerning for me if Affinity started down that route.  Plus, the applications are only $55 each.  Even at $99 each, it's a better value than Adobe.  And Serif seems to have occasional 25% and 50% off sales.  Buy one at a time if you need to.  Wait for a sale.

27 minutes ago, Michael S Harvey said:

Hopefully a bundle price will also be upcoming for Affinity Studio.

Now that's fine by me.  ;)  But, even if they don't, it's still a good deal.

Of course, we have no idea what the pricing will be.  For all we know, they stuffed a boatload of new features in v2 and will be asking $149 per application.  That's still a better deal than Adobe.

I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm perfectly happy with $55 ea.  :)

47 minutes ago, Michael S Harvey said:

Well, I have just been surveyed by the Affinity Team. It looks like they are preparing to release the next paid update. One of the questions asked suggested a possible subscription option in paying for Affinity. Well, if it is offered alongside paying for the software and owning a version, then there would probably be no harm in that. Hopefully a bundle price will also be upcoming for Affinity Studio.

That sounds much more like price rise is in the works and that they're maybe considering adapting business model to have it make more sense for certain customers. The less monetarily-inclined, casual users, amateurs, etc or maybe the latter. Maybe, just a thought. However, I think that question alone signals price rise is definitely coming.

If they do some add some sort of cloud capabilities, that would also make sense. They have to find some way to encourage people to want to invest into the entire ecosystem, that way long-term income is consistent enough to manage expectations. Money is probably an issue as far as delivery.

Regardless, management would have to be clueless to change to sub-only model given the major appeal of the suite was that we didn't have to go all-in. A non-starter. As long as the applications are independently highly usable, then I think that they can still appeal to clients that aren't keen on Adobe.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

21 minutes ago, dcr said:

I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm perfectly happy with $55 ea.  :)

The sales were often enough I think many people got them much cheaper lol. I always wondered how they sustained on that alone.

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

10 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

If they do some add some sort of cloud capabilities, that would also make sense.

There are far too many reports of data loss when users try to work directly with files that are not saved to local storage. They can’t realistically add cloud capabilities until their handling of remote storage is made much more robust.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

The sales were often enough I think many people got them much cheaper lol. I always wondered how they sustained on that alone.

I bought Publisher at the pre-release price.  Designer and Photo I bought through the App Store way back when and I don't remember what I paid for those.  Possibly half-off.  And that would have been half off the previous $49 price.  But I think they make additional money from brush packs and art packs and stuff like that?

20 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Regardless, management would have to be clueless to change to sub-only model given the major appeal of the suite was that we didn't have to go all-in. A non-starter. As long as the applications are independently highly usable, then I think that they can still appeal to clients that aren't keen on Adobe.

I would guess that a good chunk of their user base are people that strongly dislike subscriptions because that was a driving factor for a lot of people to switch over to Affinity.

There are two applications I have that are sort of subscription-based.  You can subscribe and you get all updates during your subscription period for free.  But, once your subscription lapses, you can continue to use the last version that was released during your subscription.  One controls it by Internet activation (which I'm not keen on) and the other by restricting downloads to active subscribers.