You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For the city size files I am often working with, I notice a very heavy performance hit when I drag-move objects to a particular layer. Designer freezes, when I move just a ~50th of the objects to a layer. On the other hand, if I group all objects and promote the group to a layer, this happens instantaneously.

This is on 10.5.1342

Here's a video, which shows that moving objects outside a layer (with a hotkey) is pretty fast. Moving objects into a layer (I purposely chose a small amount so that it wouldn't freeze up) is just as fast as grouping all objects. It's a bit hard to tell, since I can't show when I pressed a button though.

I really need to move lots of objects over to other layers, so if that causes Designer to freeze (didn't let it run for longer than 5 minutes), whereas grouping > promote to group is just 10s, then there's some performance to be gained. Even if it's just grouping objects in the background > move the group to the layer I am dragging the objects to > ungroup.

• Staff

It's worth checking to see if Hardware Acceleration is enabled within the apps Preferences > Performance section. If so, please try turning OFF and then restarting the app and trying again.

Is this only happening on this particular document, if so can you provide a download link?

@Lee D It appears that dragging objects into layers becomes noticeably faster with Hardware Acceleration turned off. Though it is still far from performant, e.g. the cursor still lags when I initiate a drag to move the objects to the layer on top. And that's with something like a 20th of the objects. I don't notice any differences with grouping/ ungrouping between the two modes.

Download link is here:
https://we.tl/t-uWxeTksY7c