You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect font output to printer

Instead of the font set in the Publisher document (e.g. Linotype Centenniel 55), the Arial font (with incorrect thicknesses) appears on the printer.
The output via PDF is correct.
I have replaced the program's default font (Arial) with Centenniel, but the problem persists.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Nicklaus. :)

Are you on Mac or Windows? What make and model of printer do you have?

1 hour ago, Niklaus said:

(e.g. Linotype Centenniel 55)

Is that the only font which is affected, or is it just one of a number of examples? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for the quick response! Printer used: Brother MFC-J8935DW wireless connected to iMac (High Sierra)
I attach two PDF:

1. fonttest PDF output.pdf
(PDF correctly generated by Affinity Publisher)

2. fonttest print.pdf
Scan of printout to printer with the errors.
Interestingly, the two italic fonts are correct).

Fonttest PDF output.pdf Fonttest print.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

PostScript Type 1 fonts are not supported in Affinity apps.

See also Adobe PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Very interesting link! Although I haven't used any Type 1 fonts for ages, I didn't know about this part, which is quite drastic for some old files' backup in their original file format:

What will happen to documents using Type 1 fonts after January 2023?
Adobe applications will not recognize the presence of Type 1 fonts, even if you have Type 1 fonts installed in your desktop operating system:

1. Type1 fonts will not appear in the Fonts menu.

2. There would be no way to use previously installed Type1 fonts.

3. Existing Type1 fonts will appear as “Missing fonts” in the document.

Thanks for bumping this issue, time to convert some old works into PDF in order to keep at least some "kind-of-editable" format of them.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

There does not seem to be anything wrong with your PDF so I it seems Affinity apps handle the PostScript (Type 1) fonts just fine in this case. They may be officially "unsupported", and there can be issues with certain PS fonts (e.g. with kerning, choosing glyphs from the Glyphs panel, etc.) but there does not exist currently similar strict "end of support" policy as Adobe has (which e.g. means that current version of Photoshop cannot render PDF files with embedded Type 1 fonts even if they are still handled fine when placed).

It is odd that your printer cannot handle the fonts, since as far as I know support for PostScript fonts has not ended on system level (including printer drivers), and legacy PS fonts can still be installed both on latest macOS and Windows. Or could it be that to be able to print jobs with embedded PS fonts, a PostScript printer is required?

As a workaround, you could try using e.g. Adobe Reader (= free version) and send the print job as an image (I hope this option is not just limited to PS printers):

image.png.53bec8c1ce71315a5474c42a6766fd2e.png

As an alternative, you can always create a PDF that has fonts converted to curves at export time, or create a flattened PDF (which rasterizes everything, including the fonts). These options are available in the "More" option page of the PDF Export dialog box.

14 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

PostScript Type 1 fonts are not supported in Affinity apps.

2 hours ago, lacerto said:

PostScript (Type 1) fonts just fine in this case. They may be officially "unsupported", and there can be issues with certain PS fonts (e.g. with kerning, choosing glyphs from the Glyphs panel, etc.) but there does not exist currently similar strict "end of support" policy as Adobe has (which e.g. means that current version of Photoshop cannot render PDF files with embedded Type 1 fonts even if they are still handled fine when placed).

Just as a reminder: DWright, posted July 2019 (... followed by a discussion about "any", respectively various Postscript font types & abbreviations.)

Affinity supports the features of any Postscript font (.otf) installed on your computer, most of the default fonts installed with the OS are TrueType fonts and only a few such as Ariel have a alternative stylistic set.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/92802-opentype-font-features/&do=findComment&comment=492900

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

45 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Just as a reminder: DWright, posted July 2019 (... followed by a discussion about "any", respectively various Postscript font types & abbreviations.)

Affinity supports the features of any Postscript font (.otf) installed on your computer, most of the default fonts installed with the OS are TrueType fonts and only a few such as Ariel have a alternative stylistic set.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/92802-opentype-font-features/&do=findComment&comment=492900

Expand  

That is not about old PostScript Type 1 fonts. That is about modern OpenType-PS (.otf) fonts which are OpenType file format with PostScript glyph outlines. Not the same thing.

The fact that the PDF export appears to support Type 1 fonts is probably a happy accident because the PDFlib supports it. When you export to print you then go thru the Affinity rasterizer where it is definitely not supported.

PostScript Type 1 fonts are not supported in Affinity apps - officially.

23 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

That is not about old PostScript Type 1 fonts.

That's why I mentioned this post and thread. Because "any Postscript font"  <-> "(.otf)"  may appear as a conflicting information.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I am not sure what to think and whether there is really any official statement made by Serif, but just running tests I can see that there is kind of support for PS legacy fonts that there no longer is in e.g. Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop (the other Adobe apps soon to follow). I have on my old laptop some Type 1 fonts still installed and ran a test that showed that Affinity apps themselves do not have problems handling installed PostScript Type 1 fonts. They will be handled correctly on screen, metrics based kerning is read and applied, and all fonts, excepting certain symbol fonts, are also exported to PDF. 

When printed, the symbol fonts are rendered, as well. I am currently not at office and cannot test printing to physical devices but when I printed to files and opened the results, I get PS fonts correctly output no matter if printed directly to specific PS or PCL driver, or when printing using virtual printers (PDF X-Change Standard and Lite, Microsoft Print to PDF, or Adobe PDF). On the other hand, I noticed that I get a completely blank page if I try to print to virtual printers using system GDI, so Primo that seems to be using this method, does not get any output at all, nor does PDF X-Change, unless XPS is used.

Affinity apps can also rasterize any placed PDF file with embedded Type 1 fonts, something that e.g. Photoshop 2022 no longer can (= want to) do. On the other hand, the Glyphs panel cannot show any glyphs for Type 1 fonts.

I also noticed that rasterized output from Affinity apps when printing with PS fonts to certain virtual printers was poor compared to e.g. the quality of InDesign or even Notepad.

Anyway, I do no think that I have just been "lucky" to get these fonts exported (excluding ITC Zapf Dingbats and Symbol, which, too, when output to printer driver, are rendered without problems, and also when exported to any other format, so here the problem seems to lie with PDFlib rather than Affinity). These are mostly fonts from FontFolio 8 so from a good source, but I do not think that this has much to do with "good" results I got.

I have not tried this with macOS yet, but if memory serves, Type 1 fonts seem to have more issues there, and e.g. metrics based kerning often does not work.

I am not advocating use of old font technology, but my point is that there is no similar active "no longer supported" policy as with Adobe, who simply just cut wires for certain Type 1 related operations. I do not think that current issues with Type 1 fonts in Affinity apps will ever be fixed, and doubt if customer issues with Type 1 fonts will be tried to be resolved, but basically these fonts "still work, if..." So it is left to the users. I think that's just fine; now that Adobe ends the support, there is some need for third party apps that still can handle legacy font technology -- at least as long as there is OS support for it. After that ends, perhaps someone will re-introduce ATM ;-)

image.thumb.jpeg.c97d710864af68e973b7b4b33edb76e3.jpeg

type1.pdf