You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afphoto file cannot be opened, getting 'this file type is not supported message'

• Staff

Hi Cosmickid,

This file is corrupt and will likely need to be passed on to our developers I'm afraid. This will hopefully help us prevent this from happening in the future and may result in your file being repaired. If your file was time sensitive however I would recommend starting again from scratch. Please could you tell me if the file was stored locally or on a USB etc and if you remember the last edits you were making to the file?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum The file was stored in my iCloud Drive, and I can't remember my most recent edit as I hadn't opened the file since mid-June. However I was prompted by iCloud that there were two versions of the file not in sync with each other, and my last action was to select the one I wanted to keep, and after that I couldn't open it. Very frustrating - I really hope the developers will be able to repair the file as I've lost a lot of work.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

im having the same issue i made some an intricate design for some custom socks over a month ago that took me hoooooours and now i cant open the file its hurting potential income so has there been a solution to this 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff
13 minutes ago, cosmickid said:

i'm guessing nothing will happen with this haha @Callum

I'd imagine if this file was repairable it would have been repaired by now I'm afraid. I'm sorry that this isn't the result you were looking for we primarily ask for files to help us prevent these issues reoccurring again in the future there is never any guarantee the file itself will be fixed.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

18 minutes ago, cosmickid said:

i'm guessing nothing will happen with this

Until everyone will finally learn that using any kind of cloud synced folders for storing current project files during working with them is a very bad practice and should be avoided.

It may lead to all sorts of syncing errors and unwanted partial fragmentation that might occur when one app is using incremental saving method and cloud service is uploading file by parts at the same time.

It’s always better to temporarily pause syncing while you work on the files and then just turn it back on once you’re done for today.
That should save you from most kinds of possible file damage.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with multiple Affinity Photo-created files, saved on the system drive AND an external RAID drive, both in Affinity format, and as TIFF, and JPEGs. The files appear to be the correct size etc, but are unable to be opened from local or remote drives, with any application. (MacOS, MacPro 6.1, APFS format SSD and RAID). Happy to forward files (there are a lot of them) except your page doesn't appear to cooperate.

Try zipping a few files up and then uploading.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions