You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow users to change their Duplication gesture from 2 fingers to 1 finger.

So I was using the app the other day, and I wanted to try out each boolean operation. The boolean operations are Add, Subtract, Intersect, Divide, and Xor. So what I did was I created 2 squares on top of each other and those were the shapes I was going to boolean. I wanted to see the results of all 5 boolean operations so I told myself to duplicate the 2 squares 5 times for each boolean operation. So what I did was I selected both squares, moved them with my move tool, and then did a 1 finger modifier on the screen to duplicate them. What happened next was my squares were not being duplicated. They were being moved at a 45 degree increment.

I quickly realized that the gesture to duplicate an object requires a 2 finger modifier. Not a 1 finger modifier. I dont know what i was thinking but I had this mindset that if I just selected my shapes, did a 1 finger modifier, moved my shapes to duplicate them i could just duplicate my shape multiple times. I think the reason why i had this mindset, in this moment, was because I use Photoshop. In photoshop, if you select the pixels you want to duplicate, if you just hold down on the Alt key and move your selection you can make several duplications of the selected pixels. Its easy. You just hold down Alt and drag to duplicate. So I had this mindset that holding down a 1 finger modifier resembled my Alt key in photoshop and dragging with my apple pencil would just duplicate my squares.

So it got me wanting to change my gesture for duplication because I dont want to use a 2 finger modifier to duplicate. I want to use a 1 finger modifier to duplicate. For me, a 1 finger modifier would be better and easier to duplicate. Im going to be doing more duplication operations in my work more than I am going to be moving objects at a 45 degree increment so allow me to change my duplication gesture from a 2 finger modifier to a 1 finger modifier for a faster workflow. I already have this 1 finger duplication motion mindset from using photoshop, so I'm requesting that users be allowed to change their gestures for certain tools and actions. Specifically here the gesture to duplicate.

I had already talked about the need to allow users to change their gestures in other posts but I wanted to give the serif team another reason why changing gestures are needed for users in the app and how I personally needed a gesture change for the duplication operation here in this moment. So the issue is having pre set gestures for certain tools and actions that were put there by the serif team. The solution is to allow users to change those preset gestures to their liking. For me, here, the duplication gesture.

I dont know how to go about it. My solution was to create a "Gestures" category in the preferences, there you would lay out all the gestures for each tool and action, and there users could change/swap the gestures to their liking. Ill sketch something up later.