You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity publisher - can no longer insert hyperlinks

Hello,

I've been using hyperlinks in affinity publisher for a while now without any issues. Suddenly, I'm not able to insert them or edit existing hyperlinks anymore. I've reset affinity publisher to default settings, but nothing works.

I create a new document, throw some example text boxes and artistic text and a couple of pages. Right-click the text > interactive > insert hyperlink > fill in the details > hit OK.  But nothing...if I right-click > interactive again, there is no option to edit the existing hyperlink, I can just add it again.

If I open an old document with hyperlinks, I can not edit, delete or add hyperlinks anymore. If i rasterize the text, it obviously removes the hyperlink, but nothing else works. What gives?

I haven't updated my document or settings...any idea what could be going on here?

Welcome too the Serif Affinity forums.

Have you looked in the Hyperlinks panel to see if it gives you any clues?

Can you give us some screenshots, and possibly a sample .afpub document that shows the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @walt.farrell, thanks for the response. A bit more digging reveals that the hyperlinks are in fact being added, but this is not reflected in the "interactive" pane. I can however see the hyperlinks in the Hyperlink panel, as you suggested.

Here's a screenshot showing the hyperlinks exist in the panel, but not in the interactive...

image.png.5c5a7723066321c500a4d90b0cdb97b3.png

Furthermore, I would normally see the character style of the hyperlink reflected in the studio pane but that is not the case. Notice neither Link 1 or Link 2 are underlined, even though the hyperlinks were added with the following settings.

image.png.dc608f762c1fdf535a4caea7642cf781.png 

Inspecting the hyperlinks in the panel instead reveals the following:

image.png.e89825323c94c97901847f5dc4f32bc3.png

I'm attaching an example .apub file - but I have a sneaking suspicion it will work just fine for you!

Hyperlinks.afpub

image.png

Edited by jeanluclariviere

1 hour ago, jeanluclariviere said:

But nothing...if I right-click > interactive again, there is no option to edit the existing hyperlink, I can just add it again.

That is what you are doing by going to the Interactive menu item. There is only the option to add a link. To edit you need to have the Hyperlinks panel open. Studio > Hyperlinks and you must double click on the little icon that is a Page for Pages and an anchor for Anchors etc.

279695416_ScreenShot2022-07-01at10_04_10AM.png.5cf0444eb3b2d5fd188374786b253add.png

Edited to correct my user error and just plain ignorance, thanks to jeanluclariviere

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce, @walt.farrell - I found the problem, it was clearly a user mistake. You need to highlight the text you want to hyperlink, instead of selecting the text box itself, I'd simply forgotten. Once the text has been highlighted, you can easily insert/edit the hyperlink.

So, it isn't necessary to have the Hyperlinks panel open to edit the hyperlink, you can edit it directly as seen below.

image.png.585bcc192b501061a57beb5019fc17df.png

Edited by jeanluclariviere

6 minutes ago, jeanluclariviere said:

So @Old Bruce, it isn't necessary to have the Hyperlinks panel open to edit the hyperlink, you can edit it directly as seen below.

Great, I always like being corrected. Another user mistake here on my part.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.