You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

Why are you  exporting SVG for use in a video editor?  I would just use a raster image file instead.  We aren't quite at the point where video is being exported in a vector format anyway

So you can scale it without rendering quality issues. A motion graphics tool can use temporal anti-aliasing more efficiently when it can use paths to generate its own pixels the way it likes to process them. In Nuke for example you can get super sharp logos if you create a font with the base shapes and colour them in-app once compiled to match. In general, rastering to need vs pixel remapping is very different when it comes to render. Also most motion graphics apps will let you manipulate the vector shapes once imported.

17 minutes ago, Frank Jonen said:

motion graphics tool

Ah...  ok, I missed that OpenShot has that capability.  Maybe I need to take a closer look at that one (though personally I generally would just use Resolve in most cases)...  if @dsac is in fact doing motion graphics work then I agree that it makes sense to get SVG working; if just taking artwork and putting it onto the timeline as a clip, then I would reduce the hassle and just use a raster format.

• 4 months later...

You can try as many video editors as possbile, since most of them now provide free trials.

If you ask me, I would recommend joyoshare video clipper. A combination of editor and converter that won't do any damage to the video quality. It is not free, but a xmas discount is now avaliable.

Also, if you want to know more similar products, this will serve as a good reference: windows media video clip joiner

I use AviDemux for my cutting of source material on keyframes. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 3 months later...

If it's just a simple video editor, then it's just as well that it doesn't get made. There are plenty of those already. However, if it is fully integrated with Designer, Photo, and Publisher with Studio Link then I am all ears. It would open up all different kinds of animation techniques like vector, raster, pixel, and more. It would be like a mix of Flash/Animate, Photoshop, and After Effects all rolled into one package.

Personally I am interested in an After Effects styled workflow with vector animation to create UI prototypes and pixel frame by frame animation. I know some people like to use Photoshop to clean up and colour rough animation, so having Affinity do the same would be a nice addition.

• 1 month later...

I would truly love to animate vector lines and shapes.
I do not want to raise them down to Rasta graphics!
I want to animate the actual vector points and curves! 
Yes a Bézier Curves Animator
Layer based timeline.

On 11/28/2016 at 7:57 AM, Tamerlin said:

Why do people think that Scratch is an NLE? Just because it has a timeline? It's not designed for editing... and ASSIMILATE doesn't advertise it as such, either. It's a great dailies tool, and a phenomenal color grading suite with some pretty powerful 3D compositing tools built in.

And Nuke Studio is $10K. For tight budgets, the best bets are HitFilm and Resolve, depending on whether you're more interested in color or more interested in VFX. 

True. i use davinci resolve , it has everything i need for post production. Audio editing still need some work , i do a round trip to studio one and back. but am cool with the software.

Affinity Video editor will be nice still but i dont feel affinity have any plans for it and alot of work when it comes to video processing.

For now the vector and pixel space Affinity has covered it well but still need more works.

I hope to see prototyping in designer and more

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Tamerlin said:

Meh. Resolve is free, and I'd rather have the Affinity team focus on its core products rather than attempting to engage in a futile competition with the likes of Black Magic Design and Avid in the video world.

^ Now that is an eminently sensible and realistic comment and thank you for that.

• For videoeditor I use Kdenlive, as it offers all that is required in easy manner. 
  • For video clippings I use commandline (you can just copy-paste video stream data inside the container for a new file) as it is 100% lossless process unlike the media cutter files (unless you use a lossless format).
  • For 3D animations I use blender, as it offers more than needed.
  • For 2D animations I use Synfig or Pencil2D and considering now to use ENVE.

And here comes the BUT....

I would love to have a way to make an short animated files. Nothing serious, be it just "each layer is a frame" kind. Sure it would be very nice to have a timeline so one can go in time/frames to given position and then make a path that something moves between keyframes or morph the shape from round to box etc. Just very simple and basic ones. It could be used in Affinity Photo to morph even pixel images with its Liquify Persona. 

• We do not need full animation studio suite. That is something that requires completely own level of features. 
  • We do not need full video editor suite. Again that is so complex subject that no reasons. 
  • We do not either need 3D modeling software. Again so complex subject that just no go. 

So what we do need? I support idea that we need a very simple short animation feature that allows someone to get a layer to move around a given path at X seconds or make a few seconds vector changing etc. If it even would be exporting a series of image files so we can use other editors to do the actual animation, and it would be great. But the challenge really is to get some image data to be changing its form from A to B in time of X. Very simple animation, movement etc.

Challenge really is that how quickly something becomes "I want more" and it is can of worms situation. 

Since it is related, for anyone looking for an affordable deal on a good video/sound editor: Humble Bundle is having a new video maker deal.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/your-sounds-your-movies-professional-video-and-audio-creation-software

Video Pro X11, Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum, Sound Forge 13, and a few music maker apps for $33.

And deals like these show that the video editing software market is overly saturated at this point. It would be, in my opinion, unwise for Serif to invest too heavily in a new video editor, unless it does something completely innovative.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:43 PM, DrZigZag said:

I would truly love to animate vector lines and shapes.
I do not want to raise them down to Rasta graphics!
I want to animate the actual vector points and curves! 
Yes a Bézier Curves Animator
Layer based timeline.

Various options which support all of your needs already exist on the market: OpenToonz, Toonboom Harmony, Flash/Animate CC, ...

OpenToonz is open source and free, btw. It will also convert black and white drawings to vector.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, 

Ashampoo is the video editor that I have found in 2021, I had Serifs movie editor and as you all know they have discontinued that and have no plans to create a video editor in the Serif Suite. Now, they are doing great with their Affinity Line and that stated if you’re on a budget and can’t or don’t want to pay Adobe’s ridiculous prices, then use the Affinity apps and this movie editor. Please read through before you buy , not just the overview. It runs about 30$ USD.

best of luck to you all!

• 1 year later...