You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why do people think that Scratch is an NLE? Just because it has a timeline? It's not designed for editing... and ASSIMILATE doesn't advertise it as such, either. It's a great dailies tool, and a phenomenal color grading suite with some pretty powerful 3D compositing tools built in.

And Nuke Studio is $10K. For tight budgets, the best bets are HitFilm and Resolve, depending on whether you're more interested in color or more interested in VFX. 

Maybe because Scratch has a fairly capable editor. It's not exactly rare that ads are edited on it. Just like people edit ads on Smoke. If something works for you, it doesn't matter what it says on the package. When Hiero came out I used that as an editor even and it was just a conform tool. The price it got afterwards chased me away though. 

Nuke Studio is free for the non commercial version. That's how you learn the tool so you can join a production where they have a license server. Nuke is not priced for freelancers. Depends on what your product is. If you're doing a VFX heavy ad, Nuke Studio is a great option, plan your time right and rent it for that time +1 month for post delivery changes. 

I don't have any experience with HitFilm but a bunch of YouTube narrative shows (not vlogs) are done with HitFilm. Also Sony Vegas. They seem good entry level options.

If you're doing long form, context management and meta data become a big deal. For that stuff FinalCut Pro X + Lumberjack, or Avid are probably the best options for now. 

Do any of you guys have suggestions for an editor that could replace After Effects for vector animation?

In particular I would be interested in Logo animation, typography animation and that sort of thing,

preferably with a decent svg support to work with Affinity Designer (& which is still being developed).

Do any of you guys have suggestions for an editor that could replace After Effects for vector animation?

In particular I would be interested in Logo animation, typography animation and that sort of thing,

preferably with a decent svg support to work with Affinity Designer (& which is still being developed).

Here are some vector/line animation tools.

Studio Ghibli's Toonz: https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

ToonBoom Harmony: http://www.toonboom.com/products/harmony

Synfig Studio: http://www.synfig.org/cms/

Anime Studio (now Moho): http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-2D-animation-software.html

Pencil2D: https://www.pencil2d.org

For logo animations and animated typography you could just use Apple's Motion. It doesn't do SVG but .ai and .pdf files.

Aside from animation and getting back to video editing, have you guys ever heard of Movavi? They are doing very well. It runs on both Windows and Mac, it has most of the important features, and the price isn't that bad.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Here are some vector/line animation tools.

Studio Ghibli's Toonz: https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

ToonBoom Harmony: http://www.toonboom.com/products/harmony

Synfig Studio: http://www.synfig.org/cms/

Anime Studio (now Moho): http://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-2D-animation-software.html

Pencil2D: https://www.pencil2d.org

For logo animations and animated typography you could just use Apple's Motion. It doesn't do SVG but .ai and .pdf files.

Kicking the tires ,and many more you woudl have had all those answers ,and tools so early on.Plus many more that you will never attin with any of these:

Aegis Draw, ProDraw (Professional Draw) from Gold Disk Inc., DrawStudio, Art Expression, ProVector, and for some basic vector graphics, also the tools of Professional Page and PageStream are useful.

True these are on Amiga classic as its called,but jsut making a point

AS for the VE for x86 akak mac=pc try MAGIX it rocks it has variying degrees advances

http://www.magix.com/us/products/    choose video and select where u fit in  or readjust.. go from there the operating system doesnt mind at all as they all work from win 7 above.

Thanks for the Pencil2D link... I didn't know it had evolved so much ! I believe this one comes from the old Pencil, and I was a bit not finding my way with it some years ago, when I tried to do some walk cycles with it...

I used to do cheapo video editing in the company I worked at for the last bunch of years... One ended up using everything. I have to mention that for the -I expect not too many- folks around here starting with Blender 3D, that the video editor it has inside is kind of interesting. Like all Blender, is a beast in is own UI originality, but like the whole app, if you end up loving the UI, is really very functional. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Like all Blender, is a beast in is own UI originality, but like the whole app, if you end up loving the UI, is really very functional. 

I can imagine getting used to the UI if you use Blender enough (which I haven't done) but ending up loving it seems a step too far!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Hehe, I do love Blender, in general.  :D Not in a physical way, tho.  xD

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

has resolve been mentioned thus far? https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

i found it to be very capable on the editing side - not to mention the grading-module which is it's main selling point - and it's base version is free to use and pretty full-featured for typical single users, especially if you are not into grading big time: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

i'm a fan of the classic multi-track NLE's (like classic FC/P or premiere), as such hated my experience with the newfangled final cut pro X and wanted something proper again, nothing dumbed-down that does not know how to handle things as basic as an image sequence import and just wants to export to youtube all the time. :D  resolve fit that bill.

runs on both windows and osx, another plus in my book.

</end of sales pitch>

edit: also, resolve - like it's counterpart fusion from the same company - does not run in the cloud/require live internet connection. nicely old-fashioned that way, which might appeal to this crowd in particular. :)

I have forgotten about Resolve. I saved it on my bookmarks a while back, but I didn't follow up on it because there were no screenshots or tutorials at the time. That looks pretty neat and a lot easier to use than the head-itching Premiere.

The base version is free? What? There have been years of people reviewing the best free video editor. Why was this never on the list then while crappy programs like Windows Live Movie Maker were?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for the links, Frank! They look interesting for animation. However I'm not sure if I'd have enough control over typography with those. I'll look em up more soon.

has resolve been mentioned thus far? https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

i found it to be very capable on the editing side - not to mention the grading-module which is it's main selling point - and it's base version is free to use and pretty full-featured for typical single users, especially if you are not into grading big time: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare

i'm a fan of the classic multi-track NLE's (like classic FC/P or premiere), as such hated my experience with the newfangled final cut pro X and wanted something proper again, nothing dumbed-down that does not know how to handle things as basic as an image sequence import and just wants to export to youtube all the time. :D  resolve fit that bill.

runs on both windows and osx, another plus in my book.

</end of sales pitch>

edit: also, resolve - like it's counterpart fusion from the same company - does not run in the cloud/require live internet connection. nicely old-fashioned that way, which might appeal to this crowd in particular. :)

Yeah if Fusion is free for individuals, that's bizarre I haven't heard it mentioned before... I'm guessing it's a non commercial license? What is the control over graphics/vector/type elements like? Can you tween letter spacing and type adjustments as in After Effects?
Thanks for your info btw!

I was just about to mention Resolve as well. All though I've got the full licensed version, and I hate the fact they give it away for free now, fully capable of doing almost everything the licensed version does (it literally turned my business upside down and I had to change to doing something else than color grading full time because previous clients would download the software for free, neglecting the fact they don't have correct equipment or experience. It's like a graphic designer or photographer should use an un-calibrated cheap 6-bit monitor instead of a calibrated 10-bit monitor), I still love it and can't emphasize how well done it is. Thorough, professional, all the way through.

The only things you can't do with the free version is

- use multiple GPUs for processing (but with a GTX 1070/1080 there's hardly any limit as of today. Running a 1080 in my rig, and it's absolutely stunning - fluid and real-time with RED 4K material at the highest debayer setting)

- noise reduction

- remote sessions (example: client is in London, colorist is in New York and controls his local Resolve station as well as the remote Resolve station - in real-time)

- Export higher than HD (or was is increased to UHD now?)

So, looking for a free editor which is robust and capable of so much more than just editing? Go Resolve. It might not be as robust as an editor like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere, but it is quite good after all, and it's only getting better for each update.

Thanks for the links, Frank! They look interesting for animation. However I'm not sure if I'd have enough control over typography with those. I'll look em up more soon.

Yeah if Fusion is free for individuals, that's bizarre I haven't heard it mentioned before... I'm guessing it's a non commercial license? What is the control over graphics/vector/type elements like? Can you tween letter spacing and type adjustments as in After Effects?

Thanks for your info btw!

fusion is free for commercial use as far as i know. i haven't used it myself apart from setting it up since in my line of work nuke is the standard but it's a node based compositor so i would expect it to be good at handling complex processes but no match for after effects in terms of motion graphics. that is usually achievable but with a good deal of workarounds and a complex node network. or, perhaps, with the aid of a specialized plugin.

anything relevant in here for you? https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/motiongraphics

I have heard Resolve can be picky on hardware, but otherwise it is very capable; Hitfilm 4 is easy and smooth, but not as professional featurewise.

Isn't HitFilm though an alternative to After Effects?

HitFilm just got a major update... it's turning into a pretty solid editor. I'm editing an hour long video in HitFilm, and it's working out nicely. It doesn't have the metadata support yet AFAIK that Resolve and FCPX and Avid have, so I would still recommend Resolve over HitFilm for long-form, but I don't choose Premiere any longer, since I don't much like the UI. I haven't tried 2017 yet though.

I love doing color grading and light compositing in Scratch, but its audio playback engine was a deal killer; I could get smooth playback without audio, but very choppy playback with audio, so I found it to be largely unusable as an NLE other than for adjustments to conforms. I like the UI though.

The Fusion + Resolve combination is ridiculous. Ridiculous in that BMD gives so much away for so little. Even a paid Resolve license is just $1000, and once you have a dongle, you get upgrades for the price of downloading them.

And for most, the paid version is overkill. Then again, even the free version is amazingly full-featured.

Fusion is incredibly powerful, but it also has quite a learning curve. As a compositing app I think it's pretty close to Nuke, though the Nuke Studio combo of edit + compositing in a single app is pretty sweet, and hard to beat. It sounds like The Foundry is putting some focused effort on improving the performance and stability of Nuke Studio, hopefully turning it into a really solid suite. Still expensive, but I'd forgotten about the non-commercial version. 

Resolve is a lot better with ordinary graphics cards now, though for color grading it still pushes the GPU rather hard.

I have heard Resolve can be picky on hardware, but otherwise it is very capable; Hitfilm 4 is easy and smooth, but not as professional featurewise.

Well, it is high-end grading software, so they can't support everything officially. In their setup guide they only mention specific models of Quadro and a couple of GeForce or AMD GPUs. But that's about as picky it can get.

Rule of thumb though: don't go Quadro. For the price of a single (powerful enough) Quadro you could get at least two powerful GTX 1080's which will be far more than you'd most likely need unless you do higher than 4K, or even 4K 3D, or even 4K 3D 120fps.  :ph34r: Even at regular 2K you'd still want a fast and large RAID for both speed and tons of storage.

When I started with DaVinci Resolve for Mac, back in 2009 or so, the Mac Pro's just had a GTX 285 with 2GB RAM. That was the best we could get. Even then we could do 2K in real-time, with audio. Quite awesome. As things have progressed, I've only upgraded my GPU. The Mac Pro I got in 2009 is still going strong.

I switched full time to PC this easter and had two GTX Titan (first gen), and they rocked! Then the GTX 1080 came, and I switched the two Titans for one 1080. I'm telling you, a single 1080 can run circles around two Titans. I can only imagine what a Titan X or even a pair of Titan X GPU's could do for grading!

If I may.... I really miss these days where I graded TV shows, short films, documentaries and music videos on a daily basis.

frontpage2_w.jpg

I have forgotten about Resolve. I saved it on my bookmarks a while back, but I didn't follow up on it because there were no screenshots or tutorials at the time. That looks pretty neat and a lot easier to use than the head-itching Premiere.

The base version is free? What? There have been years of people reviewing the best free video editor. Why was this never on the list then while crappy programs like Windows Live Movie Maker were?

Figures avoid what i say due to the fact i mention Amiga as it puts fact, and a thorn in all of your sides. Free yes and superior software  on the Amiga side. Yes I mentioned magix its here comes blender ,and resolve this or that.It seems as though that as soon as anyone that mentions an Amiga that person doesn't know crap.Funny we are the ones that started the Editing on every level ,and use still superior software and hardware. Yet you continue to look for the answers.i give you the better alternative sad sad shame. Well, it is what it is maybe serif will do pretty good with affinity

851f443a16f2.jpg

73c6d2ef25d1.jpg

34323b6fdada.jpg

Moraldikson,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We aren't planning any video editing software in this Affinity range.  Serif MoviePlus X6 is much better than Windows Movie Maker, and although we aren't developing it, many of our users are still very happy with it.

Given that it wasn't that long ago that the official word from Serif was that they had no intention of adding a Windows version to the Mac version of Affinity Photo and now here I am enjoying the beta version of that software I would be surprised if the above answer is set in stone?

Certainly as a long time supporter/purchaser of Serif products I've had MoviePlus on my PC since the very first edition and, though I almost jumped ship in purchasing Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, surprisingly I still return to MoviePlus X6 rather often to knock out efficient videos.  I'm sure I'm far from alone in really wanting Serif to do an Affinity on MoviePlus . . I'm even going to hold off on taking advantage of the discounted prices for upgrading to Vegas from Magix . . just in case next year Serif change their mind.

Given that it wasn't that long ago that the official word from Serif was that they had no intention of adding a Windows version to the Mac version of Affinity Photo and now here I am enjoying the beta version of that software I would be surprised if the above answer is set in stone?

When did they say that? The original announcement was that the iOS version would come first (and, if I recall correctly, we were led to expect that the Mac version of Affinity Publisher would come before that) but it was made clear pretty early on that Windows versions of all the Affinity apps would follow in due course.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Certainly as a long time supporter/purchaser of Serif products I've had MoviePlus on my PC since the very first edition and, though I almost jumped ship in purchasing Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, surprisingly I still return to MoviePlus X6 rather often to knock out efficient videos.  I'm sure I'm far from alone in really wanting Serif to do an Affinity on MoviePlus . . I'm even going to hold off on taking advantage of the discounted prices for upgrading to Vegas from Magix . . just in case next year Serif change their mind.

Magix/xara has lower end editors..I doubt serif will go the VE route.  I do belive XARA will combine the best of Sony and Magix Video pro in the near future, That would be cool.

• 2 months later...

So while waiting for a cool video editor with small VF like After Effect, but from Affinity (maybe in 20 years), what is the best tool to make videos out there other than After Effect and Premiere?

I heard about DaVinci Resolve or Hitfilm express (the only one with good looking UI), but since they are not full linear, I'm scare to start using them. There is also Filmora or Camtasia Studio which are easy to use, but don't have VFX support.

I heard about DaVinci Resolve or Hitfilm express (the only one with good looking UI), but since they are not full linear, I'm scare to start using them. There is also Filmora or Camtasia Studio which are easy to use, but don't have VFX support.

In my opinion, Filmora was better back in the earlier stages of when it was Wondershare Video Editor. It is now way too buggy, but the good side is it has all free updates. But if you're looking for doing advanced motion like what After Effects and Premier offer, Wondershare cannot do that.

I'm interested in Magix Movie Edit Pro for its key framing options, but I'm not sure if they have a Mac version available.

• 4 weeks later...