You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I haven't used any of the programs suggested here, but right now, the free version of Hitfilm appeals to me the most. The interface is editable and mostly user friendly. I can just mock the layout of the common video editor. It features keyframes, and it has a lot of common and advanced effects. And that effect similar to Star Wars' Force Lighting is just breathtaking for free software. I will eventually give that program a try.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Just reading your post, installed it... Looks really nice... Plus I don't need a lot of effects in Pro, as I can create them in Blender...(smoke, fire, physics in general, etc) . Indeed , could just use Blender video editor, but is a Blender Area I haven't got too deep into, as at the job used Sony Vegas -and at previous companies, Premiere-  , and I'm pleased to say that in a first glance it has a very standard video editing UI (I'm guessing will be piece of cake to learn it...)

I mean, wherever they put the limit to pro, I'd just resort to doing that with Blender, as am no video editing professional, is just for web or game videos (not AAA games...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Actually....Downloaded also Natron and Fusion 8, and installed them as well... Gonna be doing a small video project soon, so, you never know...

There's so many options, that can't see the need of an affinity application. (and competing in a more pro way seems crazy, to me, with these tools available, Nuke, etc.)

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

It does look a lot easier and more intuitive than After Effects. I would love to hear your feedback as you progress.

Also, did any of your downloads install anything extra? That is one thing I am always afraid of when installing software not from the Mac App Store. Malware, ransomeware, bleh!

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

EDIT : But hey, am on Windows, though most of them seem to be cross platform.

Nope, not that I noticed, and I tend to be careful. Neither even one of those antivirus or whatever pre-selected, for that I always pick custom install..  With Natron, I installed it iwith 'legacy' marked, as my GTX is even older than the 6xx series (2xx). So, I expect it to run slow, in my arcane machine. Anyway, as FX are going to mostly be done in Blender, not very worried... Of course it'll do 2D rendering slower, as no GPU render, only cpu, and I don't have a 10 core, but hey... (just core i7 1st gen)

Anyway, that (low budget) video project -not sure if I got the commission- would take a while yet to begin, but yep, I'll tell you what I might find out, as a "first time user" of those (having basic/average knowledge in a bunch of other editors). In a first glance, the more familiar to me seems Hitfilm, then Fusion, and less, the node based one Natron. (but am used to the nodes concept due to Blender and XSI...) But from a very fast glance, that'd be too much to say...

It does look a lot easier and more intuitive than After Effects. I would love to hear your feedback as you progress.

Also, did any of your downloads install anything extra? That is one thing I am always afraid of when installing software not from the Mac App Store. Malware, ransomeware, bleh!

It's a very different way of working when compared with after effects, I wouldn't call working with nodes intuitive as such...

Also throughout this thread I've seen no one mention Motion, it's incredible value for 30 quid. It does about 60-70% of what AE does and it has real-time playback and a true 3D workspace, bosh.

It's a shame The Foundry killed off Hieroplayer. That was basically a fully fledged editor for £150 with a load of neat toys on top. It just flew under everyone's radar.

I think the Serif guys have confirmed they will not be working on a product like this, which is definitely the right decision. It'd be a fools errand.

Also throughout this thread I've seen no one mention Motion, it's incredible value for 30 quid. It does about 60-70% of what AE does and it has real-time playback and a true 3D workspace, bosh.

I heard of that, and I was interested in that one too. I just wasn't sure if it was good for video editing or just motion graphics. With After Effect, I had to break up a 15-minute video into 3-4 minute individual videos. Either way, I'm sure it can come handy.

I think the Serif guys have confirmed they will not be working on a product like this, which is definitely the right decision. It'd be a fools errand.

I'm quickly learning how involved it gets, so I see why. It's still a bummer since I think it would still be great.

• 1 month later...

Resolve is a lot better with ordinary graphics cards now, though for color grading it still pushes the GPU rather hard.

This. I found it rather shocking that it considered my 970 to be below spec for some of its higher end color grading features. Still, from my (admittedly very limited) experiences, it works fast enough, despite that warning.

Same here if Affinity made one, Affinity are the future but to do that they need a video editing software and publisher and boom done. I wonder what they use for their release videos.

I think Serif is gearing the Affinity line more towards the graphics design crowd, rather than being a point for point competitor to the entire sweep of the Creative Suite.

Hell, if they were, we'd probably be waiting a good 20 years for them to make good on their promise. Even Adobe didn't design all their apps from scratch all at once. It took a decade or so of banging away at their own code, and a few buyouts on the side to get things where they are today.

This. I found it rather shocking that it considered my 970 to be below spec for some of its higher end color grading features. Still, from my (admittedly very limited) experiences, it works fast enough, despite that warning.

The new version of Resolve (14 - they skipped "unlucky" 13!) is rewritten from scratch, and performance is supposed to be a ten-fold improvement. However, it is still in beta, and although the new version 14 can be downloaded now, it is still quite buggy. 

The new audio features sound very intriguing. Definitely going to be a force to be reckoned with now - the price of the pro version is decreased to $299 as well.

^^ Sounds good.

I hope I don't sound like the Affinity rebel, but I forgot all about Premier Elements. I was watching a review on it, and it seems to have all of the features I need.

As a safe warning, everyone be careful about Wondershare. I don't like to be the kind of people who complain, but I'm getting more and more suspicious of them. They were labeled as spammers by MacWorld. When I was contacting them by email for a refund, the only way to find the support ticket was by searching the mail's search. It was not in the inbox or spam folder. I also got an advertisement to save 0% off of a product. It actually said this. Original price: $59.99. New price: $59.99. I am also still waiting on my refund even though PayPal said it was sent through. I will give them another week before I put on my angry glasses.

I will give them another week before I put on my angry glasses.

Where can I buy these ?

;)

a pity blue is not my color... (not only for the blue light harm (myth?))  ...and that dark square in the middle sure as heck makes it uncomfortable to look at whatever... And if anything, I'd be after a "happy glasses"  ....reality puts you the angry ones too easily, and at no cost...

What could be a hit would be a "money finding glasses"  :D

a pity blue is not my color

Please revisit my link (edited while you were posting)! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Lol, much nicer. Still, I'd get dizzy with those black things in the middle.... And anyway, never liked the sun glasses. Only good for cases where they are strictly needed, that's my take at it, however... Whenever is healthy to not use them (45º Celsius at noon being one clear case of the opposite) , I prefer no filters... When you can get damage if not, absolutely yes. I was given once some nice Ray-ban, they were pretty cool, but lost 'em. :D 

Doh! Silly me. I thought he was jokingly asking where to buy the shady software.

a pity blue is not my color... (not only for the blue light harm (myth?))  ...and that dark square in the middle sure as heck makes it uncomfortable to look at whatever... And if anything, I'd be after a "happy glasses"  ....reality puts you the angry ones too easily, and at no cost...

What could be a hit would be a "money finding glasses"   :D

Give these a try, my man. http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/Funky-Party-Glasses-Angry-Eyes-Old-Man_p_8529.html

Am too handsome to wear sunglasses.... :D 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

ginaadrson,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

Affinity Video Editor supports 4K video as well as it supports standard formats & sizes, and that is NOT AT ALL.

Affinity Video Editor does not exist and we aren't planning on making a video editor application. These other posters are just talking to each other having accepted that.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 11 months later...

I am going to buy every one of their products based on Affinity Designer. I'll gladly pay whatever they charge to own a video editing suite by them that I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to for the rest of my life (or most of it) based on what I have seen in the Designer program. It's really refreshing to see a quality product that can take on Adobe (who in my opinion) have out-priced their products with the never ending monthly subscription option. Surely there has to be something in the works for video production, based on the 3 products released to date to provide a rounded and full suite for users that want to move away from Adobe. I wish Serif great speed and successful products.

2 hours ago, Al S said:

I am going to buy every one of their products based on Affinity Designer. I'll gladly pay whatever they charge to own a video editing suite by them that I don't have to pay a monthly subscription to for the rest of my life (or most of it) based on what I have seen in the Designer program.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:29 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Affinity Video Editor does not exist and we aren't planning on making a video editor application. These other posters are just talking to each other having accepted that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)