You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After crash, layers were erased and some are glitching

So, this is what happend :

I was working normally on my project, and when using the flood fill tool, it started getting laggy
So I tried to save my file before it could potentially crash and then it gave me this message : "not enough space to save the file must now be closed (something like that I don't quite remember"

But that actually make no sense at all since I had over 600Go left on my hardwire

But there's the real issue :

When opening back my file, I found that many layers were randomly gone (at least it looked like it), erased to be clearer, (I couldn't find these layers in the layer tab, and one is weirdly glitching : If I zoom and dezoom, the layer start doing weird things. (The layer is called "Details Arm" on the file attached)

This isn't the first time this is happening to me, but the first time, as I wasn't too far in term of progress, I've just started over.

Here are some additional info :

- I'm using Affinity photo 1.10.5
- My computer : Mac mini (M1, 2020), macOS Monterey version 12.4
- I've tried to restart Affinity photo, my computer, duplicate the file, delete-undodelete and nothing worked

And I'm wondering if the glitching layer will do the same thing on your computer, I've attached my fileFemale Space Character.afphoto

1533830200_FemaleSpaceCharacter.afphoto

• Staff

Your "Details Arm" layer is unfortunately corrupted, there could have been any number of causes, are you saving to a cloud based location on your drive (syncing files with iCloud/Dropbox etc)? Would it be possible to take a copy of your crash report?

If you delete the "Details Arm" layer and save it, then reload the app to recreate it your file should be fine and work as normal.

Thank you @LeeThorpe and sorry for my late answer.

I'm saving my file to an external hardware directly connected to my computer
I have checked for the crash report, but couldn't find the good one

On 6/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, LeeThorpe said:

you delete the "Details Arm" layer and save it, then reload the app to recreate it your file should be fine and work as normal.

I'm not sure of the method, how could I "recreate" it if I delete it in the first place ?

Anyway, am I the only on to who this happend ? and how could I prevent this from happening in the future ?

Edited by Kazrarr

21 hours ago, Kazrarr said:

I'm not sure of the method, how could I "recreate" it if I delete it in the first place ?

Remake, rebuild or do all the work again for the content that was in the layer named "Detail Arms".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce, I'm okay with this fact but, I mean, with my professional work, I cannot continue like that and remake my layers that I've been working for hours just because they disappeared or glitched, if so, Affinity photo isn't a safe solution anymore

Like this isn't the first time this is happening for me, I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong (maybe too many layer, file too big, or idk what)

And if I can't get any answer to this issue, I might have to switch to another software...

@Kazrarr as Lee Thorpe said about the layer 

On 6/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, LeeThorpe said:

there could have been any number of causes,

so I would think that how you made that layer is most likely the root cause of the problem. Often if you have placed/imported an image that image may be corrupted.

And it would be quite helpful if you could recreate the crash with the original file in order to generate a Crash and then send that report to Lee. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Try saving to a local drive or disabling any power saving options on your external drive to see if this prevents it from happening,  It's fairly likely the save destination is the cause of the corruption.