You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disregard this post. A solution has been found.

Its the same logic with the magnifying glass zoom tool. 🔎 Why is this magnifying glass zoom tool available on the desktop version of AD but NOT on the ipad app? Why? Because its unnecessary to have the zoom tool in the ipad app when you can already zoom in and out with your 2 fingers in the app!!! Youre not going to need to click on the zoom tool to zoom in and out in the app because youre fingers do that for you. So why have the hand view tool in the app when you can already pan with your 2 fingers?!?! Come entirely on. 

The main purpose of the view tool on iPad is to deactivate any other tool, and get in the mode where your hand gestures are used for panning the canvas (instead of e.g. transform layers). It is required.

Unfortunately on iPad the view tool is missing some function which are available in desktop, e.g. showing the document size, dpi, color format etc. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

16 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Its the same logic with the magnifying glass zoom tool. 🔎 Why is this magnifying glass zoom tool available on the desktop version of AD but NOT on the ipad app? Why? Because its unnecessary to have the zoom tool in the ipad app when you can already zoom in and out with your 2 fingers in the app!!! Youre not going to need to click on the zoom tool to zoom in and out in the app because youre fingers do that for you. So why have the hand view tool in the app when you can already pan with your 2 fingers?!?! Come entirely on. 

The function of the zoom tool is integrated into the navigator panel. You may have noticed that the navigator panel on iPad is far more capable vs. desktop, allowing canvas rotation of any angle, and to lock canvas rotation.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

The main purpose of the view tool on iPad is to deactivate any other tool, and get in the mode where your hand gestures are used for panning the canvas (instead of e.g. transform layers). It is required.

Unfortunately on iPad the view tool is missing some function which are available in desktop, e.g. showing the document size, dpi, color format etc

What are you talking about? 😅

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

What are you talking about? 😅

You are 1 step away from earning the next free slot in my ignore list. Could we stay on discussing the topic, or do you want to get personal?

4 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

You are 1 step away from earning the next free slot in my ignore list. Could we stay on discussing the topic, or do you want to get personal?

Im very serious. What are you talking about? Im trying to understand you so we can have a discussion. The view tool just pans. You brought up all this deactivation and missing functions that I'm not even aware the desktop version even has. What are you talking about when this view tool just pans? Thats all it does. Pans. Our hands do that already. I get the function of the zoom tool being integrated into the navigator panel by swiping down or up. Its the other part I dont get. Help me to understand you my friend.

If you have the view tool active, you can pan with one touch and drag.

if you have the brush tool active, the same gesture will draw a brush stroke.

gradient fill: draw a gradient.

So the effect of gestures depend on active tool. Only the view tool will ensure that you wont edit the document by mistake.

Edit:

of course, you can use a 2 finger touch gesture to pan. But then you would change the zoom level unintentionally. 

actually, it sound a bit strange that you request to remove functions or ui elements which have been implemented for some reasons, especially if you don't know all the dependencies or side effect your request could cause.

Edited by NotMyFault

56 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Im very serious. What are you talking about? Im trying to understand you so we can have a discussion

In that case, you should say something like “I’m afraid I don’t understand.” Saying “What are you talking about?” is highly likely to be read as a pejorative comment along the lines of “You’re talking nonsense!”

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The language you are using, e.g. the headline of this thread, sounds a bit emotional, click-baiting, dominant to regular readers. This gives a certain framing on how to interpret what you write.

There is one part which I could agree on: giving users more choices to customize the UI. 

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

The language you are using, e.g. the headline of this thread, sounds a bit emotional, click-baiting, dominant to regular readers.

Its just summarizing my posts with to the point named titles while being honest with what needs to be done to solve these issues.

The nice thing about this forum is that the owners, and most users prefer a calm nice calm tone. We have already too many heated discussions.

I don’t think the moderators or developers like it too much if users try to give them such overly „honest“ critique, tight commands what to do, how to do, when to do. If in doubt, you can consult the https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/

It starts with:

Affinity Forum Guidelines

Briefly

We’re a friendly bunch of people and everyone, from novice to expert, is welcome to post on this forum with questions, suggestions and bugs. Here’s our main rules

1. Be nice. 

15 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Could we stay on discussing the topic, or do you want to get personal?

Who was the one who threatened to get "personal" with me again over asking a question on how to better understand them on a discussing topic?........sounds like you wanted to attack me for trying to understand you......very friendly and nice of you.

I deeply love and believe in this app. There is a burning fire 🔥 inside of me thats wants to help the serif team with this app because it deeply, deeply, needs work. I have dedicated my time these past two weeks leaving several posts on this forum on how to improve this app. Im the only recent one who sees issues in this app that others dont and i want to point out these issues so we can fix them and have a better app. Im the only one whos been leaving recent feedback on how this app could be better improved. I have provided several feedback posts with honest critiques and solutions on what to do,  how to solve them, and how these problems can be fixed to have a better operating app. That is everything the serif team would want to help better their app. I need to be honest. I can NOT lie and leave lying critiques to the serif team because that wouldnt be helpful to them. I need to be blunt while providing logic and solutions. If I sound heated 🔥its because of my love for this app and my urge to want to solve problems in this app so that we can have a better app for users.

11 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

I need to be blunt while providing logic and solutions.

You need to be clear and unambiguous, but you don’t need to be blunt to the point of rudeness.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)