You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity designer always open pdf and its annoying

I Don´t want to open PDF with Designer, and it´s impossible to fix it, Designer always open the pdf though I changed it in the windows 10 system options, OPEN WITH only works when you used this options for every individual pdf, after this Designer donsn´t open the pdf, but still open the new pdf.

How can I disable it?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

See here how to setup a default app for file types ...

1. On the Start  menu, select Settings  > Apps > Default apps.

2. Select which default you want to set, and then choose the app. You can also get new apps in Microsoft Store. Apps need to be installed before you can set them as the default.5a39720d-1114-4c9f-9d53-e5b8553d847d.jpg

3. You may want your .pdf files, or email, or music to automatically open using an app other than the one provided by Microsoft. To choose default apps by file type. scroll down and select Choose default apps by file type.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I do not know if you are referring to the same annoyance I have with Affinity icons associating with pdf which is right clicking on the icon in the start menu to speed the opening of a project. Affinity shows both the exported pdf and the publisher file, but you cannot tell which is which as file extension is not shown on long titles. One of these is the Apub file the other is the pdf export

image.png.c42fd12cfdf7ca18e276cae432c2b709.png

If you go in to the open recent only the Afpub files show

image.png.a79f0862c7a8721b666ea362657df8fd.png

In my file explorer the right icon is displayed for pdf

image.png.8fb40ec9cce07f7ae4be02e0bb3718e3.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

34 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I get the same problem using the Windows 10 Taskbar. The recent files list shows exported PDFs as well as afpub files.

As far as I’m aware, the Windows 10 task bar jump list for an application shows the documents used/created by that application.
Since the Affinity applications can use/create AF* documents and PDFs (amongst other things) I would expect this to be so.
I believe this is an operating system feature which cannot be controlled by the application – a bit like a ‘stripped-down’ version of the Quick Access part of File Explorer.

6 hours ago, jaime1976 said:

How can I disable it?

If, as I believe, it is the same for Windows as for macOS, you can't really disable it, because the OS will automatically try to assign a default app for each file format.

This means that for widely supported file formats like PDF, JPEG, or PNG, the best you can do is set your choice for a default app for each of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Maybe I'm just too old, too old fashion, or stubborn. Because of the the OS, windows in my case, thinks it knows best, I make sure that files like PDF, are set to open using Acrobat Reader. I download manuals and other documents that I read, and have no interest in editing, so I don't want one of my editing apps launched when I want to read the PDF. I do have an editing app or two that provides a list of file extensions I can select to have their app launched when clicking on them in File Explorer. I make sure those apps just have their proprietary working file (like afphoto for Affinity Photo, or pspimage for Paintshop Pro) selected. I've never liked having an editing app launch when I just want to view an image.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

6 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Maybe I'm just too old, too old fashion, or stubborn. Because of the the OS, windows in my case,

I too am too old and stubborn and have my Mac OS set up in a very similar method.

For Windows users think that you don't need a copy or Acrobat or other third party PDF reader you should be able to assign your favourite web browser to open all the PDFs (and TIFFS, JPEGs etc).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.