You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flatten Document

Does anybody know how to flatten all layers into one single layer in AP iPad? I've tried merging down, selecting all the layers, and then doing merge selected, merge visible, etc, but I cannot get my layer stack to one single merged layer. I have full pixel layers, adjustment layers, and layers from my assets (each asset layer containing multiple adjustment layers within) in my layer stack. Perhaps there's something about the makeup of my layer stack that AP iPad can't deal with?

Thank you for any insight provided.

I don't have the iPad version but this is from the help file online, does this help?

To flatten all layers:

From the Document Menu, select Flatten.

The document will then contain a single flattened layer.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

11 hours ago, Alan9940 said:

and then doing merge selected, merge visible, etc,

Hi @Alan9940,

I see no reason why Merge Visible wouldn’t flatten all the layers (even with multiple adjustments) in a single, new raster layer.

Is it happening with other projects too?

Maybe you can record a video/post the file you have issues with here, so other users/mods to take a look at it?

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

7 hours ago, iuli said:

Hi @Alan9940,

I see no reason why Merge Visible wouldn’t flatten all the layers (even with multiple adjustments) in a single, new raster layer.

Is it happening with other projects too?

Maybe you can record a video/post the file you have issues with here, so other users/mods to take a look at it?

I agree, but it doesn't work. It might be because the assets added are groups with both active & non-active layers. I don't understand why that would cause the merge to stop, but who knows? I'm going to play around with it some more today. And, yes, it has happened to me with other projects.

1 hour ago, Alan9940 said:

That's for the desktop version...there are no menus in the iPad version

Sure there are. The Document icon reveals a menu. The ... icon next to it reveals another. There are some in the various Studios, too.

Flatten is in the Document menu.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sure there are. The Document icon reveals a menu. The ... icon next to it reveals another. There are some in the various Studios, too.

Yeah, OK, I think of those "menus" as dropdown lists. No matter...a HUGE thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I can't tell ya how many times I looked at that list under the Document icon and never saw Flatten. Just tried it and it works like a charm! Thank you, again, for the help.

You should find that Merge Visible from the Layers studio will also work, but I found that I needed to use it with no layers selected. (And, of course, it doesn't leave you with just a single layer; if you only want one you'd need to manually delete the others that remain.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

48 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You should find that Merge Visible from the Layers studio will also work, but I found that I needed to use it with no layers selected. (And, of course, it doesn't leave you with just a single layer; if you only want one you'd need to manually delete the others that remain.)

Yep. I use Merge Visible quite a lot to create a stamped layer, and then move on with other editing. I try to keep my editing as non-destructive as possible until I'm done, but actions such as Live Filters need to run against an image layer. Not sure if that's totally correct, but it's my understanding up to this point. Once I know I'm done with an edit, I will flatten the document to minimize required storage space for the file. Lots still to learn...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 6:27 PM, walt.farrell said:

could you pls post a screenshot? I use AD ipad in another language and cant find this function...txs!