You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

German Terms

I did not know where I should put this topic so I have chosen Feature Request.

In the german version of AP Cyan ist translated in Zyan. This might be normally right but it is absolute unusual in publishing, printing, photography branches. We translate Yellow to Gelb but not Cyan to Zyan. It is a little strange to me writing my book about AP when I have to use Cyan für the CMYK colour and Zyan for the AP term.

It is also not usual in the professional branches to translate Inch to Zoll. We always say Pixel per Inch oder Dots per Inch but never Dots per Zoll. It is quite confusing for beginners—not everybody in the german speaking countries knows that Zoll is Inch, though I think most do not know.

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

http://www.markuswaeger.com

No thought about advertising. Just wanted to show that I know what I am talking about. I know the problems with bad and wrong translations from writing about and teaching Photoshop. It is strange that I have to use the term Cyan and Zyan side by side when I have to describe how software works and as Jens described nobody in Germany would say »Selbstdefiniert«.

As I said: The reason I put time in describing my experience about Affinity Photo is help fixing fails and weaknesses. For advertising reason it would be better putting my time in writing books and blog posts and record tutorials.

If my suggestions are not helpful the Affinity Photo team could tell. No problem. Otherwise it would be waste of time and I do not have to much of it.

Markus Wäger | German Autor | Graphic Design, Photoshop and Photography Expert | preparing a german book about Affinity Photo

http://www.markuswaeger.com

Hi Markus,

I believe you are right. There are obviously some very annoying glitches in the German localisation. Some of them have been removed, but unfortunately, some of them are still there. Here are two more examples from the terminology of the Boolean operations:

• Intersect is translated as Überlappen.

If we are intersecting two point sets, we are proceeding to the intersection of these sets. And we have wonderful German terms for this operation, namely Schnittmenge bilden, Zum Schnitt bringen or simply Schneiden. So the current translation is obviously wrong and misleading. Would anyone confidently state that the words overlap and intersect have the same meaning in English? Why does one believe that their equivalents should have the same meaning in German?

• Combine is translated as Kombinieren at one point and as XOR elsewhere.

To my mind, the English term is already misleading. If we apply the operation currently denoted by Combine to two point sets, we are proceeding to the symmetric difference of these sets. So the use of XOR is appropriate, whereas Combine seems confusing. Adobe has Exclude Overlapping Shape Areas, and while this phrase is longer than Combine, it is informative and appropriate. So I would suggest to reconsider both the English and the German terminology here.

Kind regards, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-59979900-1451215131_thumb.png