You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I cancel level adjustments

I make some changes in the level adjustment but I don't like the changes so how do I cancel the changes or revert to the last saved? I understand I can undo, but is there a way to do it in the levels adjustment window?

745562391_ScreenShot2022-06-28at9_32_46PM.png.53f2abf8746993faa8996c69d324d4ce.png

No. Just in case: you can undo with the window still open. Undo always returns to the setting before opening the window, regardless how many steps you have done in the window when choosing undo. As in the history panel only the 1st change gets an undo/history entry, while opening/closing the window are no steps for undo.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

All of the Adjustments are ‘live’, meaning that they are applied non-destructively to the layers(s) they are applied to.

If you want to not have an Adjustment applied you can either press the “Reset” button (top-right of your screen-grab) which will remove the effects of the Adjustment, while leaving the Adjustment in existence (but not actually adjusting anything), or you can press the “Delete” button (to the left of the “Reset” button in your screen-grab) which will remove the Adjustment completely.

Note, however, that there is no way to make the Adjustment settings go back to what they were the last time you changed them except by using Undo which could also undo any other changes to the document since you changed the settings. In other words, there is no ‘local undo’ within the Adjustments themselves.

I think that the standard "Cancel" button would be very useful in dialogues of this type. Alternatively, the standard "OK" button, which would "transfer" the settings to the document.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I think “Cancel” in this case could be confusing – different users will have different ideas about what “Cancel” means.
Would they think that it would ‘cancel’ the last changes they made (which the software can’t do), or will it reset the settings, or will it remove the adjustment altogether?
I think the existing “Reset” and “Delete” buttons are named pretty well considering what they do.

Also, “OK” is bad wording for UI buttons in general - it's such a vague word.
The text in buttons should have meaning related to what happens when the button is pressed, e.g. “Print Document”, “Accept Changes”, “Continue to Next Step”, etc.

Can you explain what you mean by ““transfer” the settings to the document”, keeping in mind that adjustments can (and often do) change many layers at the same time?

At least on mac the Affinity adjustment windows additionally confuse with the red "close" button top left. Here this seems to work like an "Okay" or "Apply" button – though we also can simply ignore the window because it gets closed automatically by continuing with other tasks in the layout.

399542368_adjustmentwindowtitlebarbuttons.jpg.4b0dace0d2d3c8b3c2b831745f972298.jpg

It is furthermore confusing because in macOS this button can get pressed via the keyboard shortcut CMD-W, which unfortunately would always trigger in Affinity the document window and either cause a Save question or just close the document silently. Really weird behaviour, – and odd that even in a bug report it seems to be unclear for Serif whether it's an issue or "by design".

12 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think “Cancel” in this case could be confusing – different users will have different ideas about what “Cancel” means.
Would they think that it would ‘cancel’ the last changes they made (which the software can’t do), or will it reset the settings, or will it remove the adjustment altogether?
I think the existing “Reset” and “Delete” buttons are named pretty well considering what they do.

Since, as you literally point at, "Reset" + "Delete" do exist, your doubts about the meaning of "Cancel" appear strange and redundant.  Have you ever experienced in Affinity or any other software that "Cancel" has a different meaning than canceling the application of the current window content respectively your settings in it?

I assume you never were afraid that "Cancel" in the window below would either • remove the style assignment from any text or • delete or • reset the style (even though this window does not offer "Delete" nor "Reset"):

668147929_textstyleeditorwindow.thumb.jpg.19c4ba279ffc5e6e0ec283a4ba6adeed.jpg

Reset brings the adjustment back to its original neutral setting, so that is not helpful when all I want is to revert to the last saved state of the adjustment. Command Z (Undo) does work inside the dialog box, and for the moment that is the solution. Cancel is a fine word in my opinion. Cancel is consistent with other Mac dialogue boxes. Revert would be fine too. I do think it would be helpful to have the addition of a "Cancel" type button in these dialog boxes.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Really?  I don't know which OS you use by default, but for Windows there can be no doubt about the meaning of the Cancel button (as in the New Document dialog, Export Dialog, Document Setup,...). And the "OK" button (or Apply as used in Affinity in some situations) is also quite clear (as in Document Setup).

In my opinion, "Delete" is completely confusing for some users. Is it about deleting the currently displayed dialog, so is it going out? Is it about deleting the adjustment settings you just made and keeping the previous one? Is it deleting the adjustment settings as such? Or is it a matter of deleting the entire document in progress? Or maybe deleting all the files on your PC? And "Reset" - it's like resetting a PC?!!! What if I don't have all the documents saved!!!

Edited by Pšenda

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

16 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It is furthermore confusing because in macOS this button

For me, as a Windows user, the logic of Affinity control is very often non-standard and confusing (Windows unlike). I've always attributed this to the fact that it's a hybrid between macOS and Win and maybe an iPad, and that the developers probably don't even know how right it should be.

19 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

In my opinion, "Delete" is completely confusing for some users. Is it about deleting the currently displayed dialog, so is it going out? Is it about deleting the adjustment settings you just made and keeping the previous one? Is it deleting the adjustment settings as such? Or is it a matter of deleting the entire document in progress? Or maybe deleting all the files on your PC? And "Reset" - it's like resetting a PC?!!! What if I don't have all the documents saved!!!

Well, there are some valid reasons why there is a delete button, and no cancel button:

• A common trick is to add an adjustment layer, and just set the blend mode to multiply. This will have an effect, even in case all sliders are on zero.
  • Delete will delete the adjustment layer - no need to locate it in layer stack. As you can keep the UI open while selecting totally different layers, this is quite useful. I mostly use delete in case I added the wrong adjustment via keyboard shortcut, but switched to mouse to adjust sliders.
  • A cancel button would be totally unclear: 
    • Delete the adjustment layer? We have delete for that purpose
    • Keep the layer, but reset the settings? We have reset for that purpose
    • revert to last settings? We have undo for that purpose.
    • Do something else?

I agree that the UI is extremely confusing for new users, even more for “PS migrants”. Never the less, the UI shows at least some consistency across live layers, and after you get used to it, you can live with it.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Can you explain what you mean by ““transfer” the settings to the document”, keeping in mind that adjustments can (and often do) change many layers at the same time?

Until the OK (Apply, ....) button is pressed, it is only a preview of the modifications - ie what the modifications will look like when the button for accepting these proposals is pressed (so far it is only a proposal, not their implementation). Therefore, if the computer crashes while making these adjustments, even if the AutoSave / AutoBackup time has elapsed, the adjustments will not be made in the document. If the modifications made to the user do not seem to him, he does not have to cancel or return anything, he only closes the dialog (either with the Cancel button or with the cross / red dot).

8 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

I agree that the UI is extremely confusing for new users, even more for “PS migrants”.

I think it's confusing for users of any other program. Serif does not visually distinguish at all, between modal dialogues, and between pseudo studio / panel dialogues.
It is understandable that the options in the Panel are applied continuously (without confirmation) to the selected layers / objects, but in these dialogs a similar way of functioning is confusing - a dialog is simply a dialog that should have a clear end and execution of the action.
Here it's just a special floating Panel displayed as a dialog box.

16 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Until the OK (Apply, ....) button is pressed, it is only a preview of the modifications - ie what the modifications will look like when the button for accepting these proposals is pressed (so far it is only a proposal, not their implementation).

I thought we were discussing Live Adjustment layers. This sounds like an actual destructive filter is being applied.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I think it's confusing for users of any other program. Serif does not visually distinguish at all, between modal dialogues, and between pseudo studio / panel dialogues.
It is understandable that the options in the Panel are applied continuously (without confirmation) to the selected layers / objects, but in these dialogs a similar way of functioning is confusing - a dialog is simply a dialog that should have a clear end and execution of the action.
Here it's just a special floating Panel displayed as a dialog box.

Unfortunately this type of UI boxes / windows not having any apply / ok / cancel button are the new norm, coming from web based apps.

• M365
  • ServiceNow
  • Holaspirit.com
  •  

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

58 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

For me, as a Windows user, the logic of Affinity control is very often non-standard and confusing (Windows unlike). I've always attributed this to the fact that it's a hybrid between macOS and Win and maybe an iPad, and that the developers probably don't even know how right it should be.

Possibly. But for the adjustment windows there is just no need for a "Close" button, since it's closing itself if ignored by the user.
Alternatively it could get an "Apply" button instead of the close button, plus the desired "Cancel" button (which both also would close the window).

47 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

• revert to last settings? We have undo for that purpose.

While "Delete" and "Reset" are buttons within this window "Undo" is not. This makes Undo in the settings interface rather strange as a replacement for Cancel in my eyes, especially since it is unclear what will become undone: the very last setting – or all last settings since the window was opened? A "Cancel" button, on the other hand, would not raise this ambiguity but rather work like in other windows: it cancels all user actions done in this window since the window was opened.

47 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Delete will delete the adjustment layer - no need to locate it in layer stack. As you can keep the UI open while selecting totally different layers, this is quite useful.

This reminds me to the confusion with actions that cause rasterization first and offer a "Cancel" button. Different than expected then "Cancel" does not cancel the complete task but for an unnecessary reason only the 2nd part, even though the 1st part was initiated by calling the 2nd (= opening the filter window).

Even though I used 1 command only (filter), here "Cancel" requires an additional "Undo" …

1649248804_filtercancel1.thumb.jpg.0da4e5027f2fd22938cc952c11af86dd.jpg

… to get the used menu command fully canceled and this Pixel layer become the initial Cog layer as before using the 1 command:

1215359660_filtercancel2.jpg.23b038f15666fcaf0c131c4cab45ee36.jpg

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Until the OK (Apply, ....) button is pressed, it is only a preview of the modifications - ie what the modifications will look like when the button for accepting these proposals is pressed (so far it is only a proposal, not their implementation).

There is no "OK" or "Apply" button needed for adjustments since they are implemented as separate layers that are created as soon as the adjustment window opens. And since their windows can be reopened at any time after creation by double-clicking on the adjustment layer, a "Cancel" button would at that time do nothing more than close the window without affecting any adjustment that might already have been done on that layer. IOW, it would not do what the provided "Delete" button does, which as the name suggests deletes the adjustment layer from the Layer stack.

That same logic applies to the buttons of the Live Filter layers. Both are non-destructive because they are implemented as separate layers, not as destructive changes to an existing layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

a "Cancel" button would at that time do nothing more than close the window without affecting any adjustment that might already have been done on that layer

Yes, that would be the meaning of the Cancel button (or closing the dialog with a red dot / cross). That is, setting and displaying adjustments "on trial" - without a real impact on the document, which are simply not accepted after closing the dialog without pressing the OK / Apply button.

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There is no "OK" or "Apply" button needed for adjustments

The OK / Apply button would be necessary, as otherwise the adjustments settings would not be applied to the document.
It would just work the same as filters (maybe that's what Old Bruce meant?). Personally, I see no reason to work with Filters and Adjustments differently.

Of course, the current concept of dialog pseudo Panels is different (non-standard and therefore often confusing for users), so it is only a vain discussion.

42 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Yes, that would be the meaning of the Cancel button (or closing the dialog with a red dot / cross). That is, setting and displaying adjustments "on trial" - without a real impact on the document, which are simply not accepted after closing the dialog without pressing the OK / Apply button.

Why not just use the existing Delete button, which does exactly that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

42 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

The OK / Apply button would be necessary, as otherwise the adjustments settings would not be applied to the document.

The adjustments are "applied" immediately, live. They do not need a button to do that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

"Delete" an adjustment is very different from "Cancel" a change of a current setting. – Note the OP's topic concern:

16 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I make some changes in the level adjustment but I don't like the changes

… ... which means "Delete" is not the desired option at all. Instead, a "Cancel" button could be used to close the window without applying a recent change. It seems odd that the UI requires the separate "Undo" command for this separate, extra options window to prevent a possibly unwanted trial change from getting / remaining applied.

Imagine a change in the Text Style Editor window would be forced to get applied and you would need to choose "Undo" instead of using its existing "Cancel" button if you don't want the change to get applied?

Or imagine you would have to run a Print or Export process once you opened / did any setting in their options window because the UI would not offer their "Cancel" buttons to prevent print or export and thus would require to "Undo" the task (in that cases for instance by quit printing from the system level or delete an exported file).

Or, can one tell why the Text Wrap options window has two Close buttons?

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Because the Delete button does something completely different - it completely deletes all Adjustments, not just the last settings. The Delete button brings nothing that could not be done in any other way - either delete the edit directly in the layers panel, or just temporarily turn it off with the checkbox.

@thomaso, look at dialog setting for Filter.

That's exactly how Adjustments, Live filters and fx should work in my opinion, ie the Apply and Cancel button. This includes buttons for displaying the status before / after adjustment/live filter/fx - this would be very useful. Today, the effect of a "new" setup cannot be checked at all - there is no way to see the status before it is made.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The adjustments are "applied" immediately, live. They do not need a button to do that.

Yes, that is exactly what is being criticized here. We do not describe the existing solution here.

Adjustments, like Filters, should only be "displayed" and only applied to the document after pressing OK / Apply.

10 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Adjustments, like Filters, should only be "displayed" and only applied to the document after pressing OK / Apply.

I for one would hate having to do that to apply anything non-destructive -- for me it is just an extra step that serves no useful purpose.

Neither would a "Cancel" button do what the OP wanted, which is to 'undo' a change already made to the adjustment layer. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7