You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Single digits do not align with double digited bullets in bulleted list

I have a numbered list that goes into double digit numbers. on the paragraph style I set my left indent at 0.375 and my First line indent at 0. It achieved the results I wanted except on the single digit numbers. The single digit numbers are Left aligned and I want them to be right aligned so my text is all even. I have the Right aligned option selected in the Bullets and Numbering Studio. I am a rookie using Affinity Publisher 1.9.2 and a lot of this publisher program is over my head. I have been checking out all sorts of forums on indenting, hanging indents, bulleted lists and still have no solution. Nothing in my list changes when i switch between left, center and right aligned bullets...???

Example_Numbered_List.jpg

Example_Numbered_List.afpub

Welcome to the forums @Hjay

It has been mentioned many times in these forums that this functionality isn’t very easy to use/understand.
Does my attached image (and document) help at all?
If you want some specific spacings between things then you might find that to be difficult to achieve (if not, perhaps, impossible).

image.thumb.png.ca1fdae6619779a19ce15b72e8f0e6d1.png

right-aligned-numbering.afpub

Thanks! that worked nicely. I am curious, though, why something like that isn't a little more intuitive? Is the action I was trying to accomplish that unusual or am I just not cut a day late on understanding Publishing and Designing programs??

You’re welcome.

I don’t think it’s particularly intuitive either, but I don’t use it often.

Someone who uses it a lot might think that it’s easy to use but I often have a hard time getting what I want first time and usually end up fiddling with various settings more than I would like to until I eventually get something like what I want, and then I just leave it as it is in case I break something.

Maybe someone can point us towards a good tutorial showing us how to do more than some basic bulleted/numbered lists and explaining what we need to do and why we need to do it.

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Someone who uses it a lot might think that it’s easy to use but I often have a hard time getting what I want first time and usually end up fiddling with various settings more than I would like to until I eventually get something like what I want, and then I just leave it as it is in case I break something.

Once you get it, why not create a Text Style and save it as a default?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Once you get it, why not create a Text Style and save it as a default?

I usually only need to set-up this sort of thing once in each document and each document has its own requirements for spacing etc.

If I tried to import a single Text Style from a different document I would be even more wary of messing other things up, so I do it manually once for each document, where it’s needed, and put up the with ‘awkwardness’ (as I perceive it).

Note that it is early here so I haven't had near enough coffee. I would use a Numbered list with a Tab then a Number & bullet and finally a Tab. Most people miss out the leading tab, which should be right aligned.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

52 minutes ago, GarryP said:

If I tried to import a single Text Style from a different document I would be even more wary of messing other things up, so I do it manually once for each document, where it’s needed, and put up the with ‘awkwardness’ (as I perceive it).

A Text Style cannot mess up anything unless you apply it, so merely having it available can't cause any problems. And it will serve as an example of the setup required for one specific setup, against which you can compare something that isn't working, or model something slightly different.

Or you could even simply adjust the default Text Style you'd saved in the application, if you needed a 10 mm offset rather than an 8 mm offset, for example.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

35 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Note that it is early here so I haven't had near enough coffee. I would use a Numbered list with a Tab then a Number & bullet and finally a Tab. Most people miss out the leading tab, which should be right aligned.

Garry's approach with a single right-aligned tab-stop after the number/bullet seems to work. The tab right-aligns the text that precedes it.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks but that just seems like swapping one sort of ‘faff’ for a different sort of ‘faff’.
I’ll just stick with how I’m using it at the moment – like I said above, it’s not often and once I have something that’s usable I just keep it.
Maybe Old Bruce’s advice will help in some way but I’ll need to experiment at some point.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I would use a Numbered list with a Tab then a Number & bullet and finally a Tab. Most people miss out the leading tab, which should be right aligned.

This is how I've done this sort of thing for many years and in many apps (Quark, InDesign, APub)

6 minutes ago, prophet said:

This is how I've done this sort of thing for many years and in many apps (Quark, InDesign, APub)

For me it goes back far too many decades to when I learned to use a manual typewriter. Just had Tab stops, no aligning other than counting Tabs and Spaces/Backspaces before hitting the letter/number keys.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.