You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can’t get vector brush tool to work on IPad Retina 9.7

I am new to Affinity Designer and I’ve run into several issues.  The tool I prefer to work with is the vector brush tool - but it will only work occasionally.  It usually shows a small white circle which changes color depending on where I am working - but no brush tail and no stroke.  Occasionally, it will create a stroke, but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why.  If I stop on a white space, my line color turns back to white.  I’ve watched videos and taken a course, but can’t seem to find a solution.  Any help appreciated.  I’ve also noticed the program doesn’t always save my latest work. 

If your question concerns the iPad, as stated in the thread title, it is better to mention it in the relevant section of the forum, where a faster answer can be expected.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Could you possibly give us a little more detail on the issue, is this happening with default brushes, third party or your own brushes?

It's possible you are accidentally sampling the colour (long pressing)? This brings up a magnified section and then applies that new colour to your current tool.

Lee

9 hours ago, psychdrdeni said:

I’ve also noticed the program doesn’t always save my latest work. 

A known bug and not related to your vector brush issue. Does the problem occur with all the brushes or a particular brush or set of brushes?

Are you using an Apple Pencil or your finger? If AP, do you have touch for Gestures only, turned on.

A brief finger press without moving the finger,  will bring up the colour picker reticule (sounds like what you describe). Press finger and after a second or two, the brush reticule changes to colour picker. Touch briefly and quickly move finger and the paintbrush is active. It may just be a timing issue. Personally I use AP and turn on Touch for Gestures Only in Settings/Tools. Avoids this issue 🙂 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/