You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Additional fine text spacing option - justifying to a single line - required

In Affinity Publisher, please can we have a more effective but less aggressive text spacing option in addition to the existing choices. It could be called "Condense to single line", perhaps.

I refer to:-

The ability to select a line of text and have it fully justify - ON A SINGLE LINE without spill over or ending in a partial line of text. Please can this be achieved without the text characters looking too condensed or otherwise distorted. CorelDraw has this ability - despite not being a dedicated DTP program - to perfectly justify a line that's spilling ove so that it now exactly fits into a single line of text (fully justified) within one's frame.

I apologise that I'm not finding it easy to explain what I mean. Example below. (I would like A to become B - but (in the real situation this would be within the confines of a text box):-

A: The quick brown fox jumps over the

lazy dog.

B: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Also I'd like to be able to select a whole paragraph or just part of a line of text and have it - by smaller increments - take up less space. In other words, a finer control of text spacing is required.

Thank you for your kind attention.

- Malcolm

• Staff

I believe the feature you are looking for is Justify All.

image.png

This can be applied to a single line by highlighting it first, then selecting justify all from the dropdown menu on the justify section of the context toolbar or the paragraph studio panel.

4 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

I believe the feature you are looking for is Justify All.

I think the OP requires some "compression" function that would automatically optimize character spacing - and cram the text into the reserved space.

7 hours ago, Malthus777 said:

Please can this be achieved without the text characters looking too condensed or otherwise distorted.

I think you will have to replace this automatic function by manually setting Tracking in the Character panel, or by setting Kerning between letters.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/pages/Panels/characterPanel.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.