You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EOS R7 .CR3 images open with wrong white balance

Just got an EOS R7 and when I open the raw files from this camera the white balance is way off.

On one occasion the Tint slider was all the way over to the right margin (ie full magenta) with a very pink/purple image to edit. (See attached screen grab.)

On the attached images the CR3 file opened in AP with a very yellow tint.  For a daylight shot Affinity Photo had temperature set to 6441 when the raw file was loaded.

The two attached images are from the same raw file

First it was opened in AP and without adding any adjustments at all it was developed then saved as a jpeg

Then the same raw was opened in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software (DPP)  and also saved as a jpeg with no adjustments.  You can see the difference.

I have tried opening files with both Serif Labs and Apple (Core Image RAW) to no avail.

I have an M1 Mac Mini with 16G ram running MacOs 12.3

Also the EOS R7 has a RAW Burst Mode with Pre Shooting where a "roll" of images are saved beginning from 0.5s before the shutter is fully depressed.  When single images are extracted via Canon's DPP software they are saved as .CR3 files.  However they must be different from standard .CR3 files because AP will not open them and pops up a  "Failed to open file" "The file type is not supported." message.

2X1A0365Test AP.jpg

2X1A0365Test DPP.JPG

That cam is still relative new on the market (announced on may). - And thus the EOS R7 is not mentioned among the actual (officially) supported cams by the Affinity & Apple RAW engines yet.

So when Libraw (which is used by APh's RAW engine) supports the cam and APh gets an libraw update, the cam will probably be officially supported.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Affinity Photo only loads the RAW file without applying any corrections while the Canon DDP software can read addition settings saved within the RAW file and apply these to the exported image which is why this image looks different. you can manually apply adjustments to get the image looking the same as when you DPP

This article explains the settings that DPP will change when using RAW files compared to other photo editors which are only able to read the RAW image.

https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/dpp/

Many thanks v_kr and especially DWright

I hadn't read DPP's abilities with Canon raw images but it makes perfect sense being Canon's software.  It got me thinking to try opening the raw in Luminosity 4 which I never use for raw editing and sure enough it opens the swan image above looking pretty well exactly the same as AP. One of those head smacking "Duhh!, why didn't I try that before."  moments.  Must be age :)

• 2 months later...

See: https://www.libraw.org/home (LibRaw 0.21 (Beta1))

According to that, the next release version of LibRaw 0.21 (actually in beta) and which APh relies on, will then have support for Canon EOS R3, R7 and R10, OM System OM-1, Nikon Z9 ... etc. - So the next APh version (with the latest LibRaw release included) will then probably then have support for those cams too!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 months later...

Is this issue resolved in Affinity Photo2?  As I have this issue in Affinity photo as well, and I dont want to spend money on Affinity Photo2 when it is not resolved.

Affinity support didn't reply on any of my 2 e-mails in teh past few months about this topic.

Hope to find anywhere more info about this.

Kind regards Art

10 minutes ago, ArtPhoto said:

I dont want to spend money on Affinity Photo2 when it is not resolved.

There's a free 30-day no-obligation unrestricted trial. Give it a try.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

I am the OP at the top of this conversation and yes, it certainly has been fixed in AP 2 on my Mac Mini M1 when using Serif raw engine.  Haven't tried with Apple raw but will one day.

My files are CR3 from a Canon R7 and previously opened with the white balance magenta but now open with white balance as set by my camera selection.  All good

Also the CR3 raws extracted from a Raw burst Pre-shoot "roll" of images also now open correctly where previously they would not open at all👍

I am using Affinity on Windows10. You mention 'when using Serif raw engine'  Does that mean when I will purchase the upgrade to AP2 I need an extra Raw converter or is it solved in AP2  already. 

I mean when I install AP2, the raw files from the Canon R7 are ok in color and whitebaance. no more to much magenta etc.

You will not need an extra raw converter.  Serif Labs is the default raw processing engine that comes as part of Affinity Photo but Apple (Core image raw) is also available as part of the AP package and can be selected instead of Serif Labs.  At least on the Apple Mac version of the software the Apple option is available probably not on a Windows version.

One of the icons on the top bar of the AP window is called Assistant Preferences.  Hover the mouse over those icons until you find this one and when you click to open it you will see the selections you can make for various editing actions and one of them is the raw conversion tool called "Raw Engine"