You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing a vector image | client design challenge

2 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

It'll probably cost a fortune to buy an extended license. But maybe if I can redraw something that is inspired by the image, it'll be okay?

That's exactly what I'd do. Just enough of a change, so it's not the original illustration anymore. Or something like @firstdefence's example.

Edit: @carl123's example would also work as it's neither a logo nor a trademark rather than an illustration. Publishing something like that is covered by the license.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

9 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Great suggestion. To clarify, do you mean the stroke size on the text or the circle or both? Thank you.

Also, absolute love the word cloud idea. Wow.

Yes, I was referring to the stroke on the text, too big a stroke makes it look a bit poofy, balloony.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

But maybe if I can redraw something that is inspired by the image, it'll be okay?

I was wondering from the beginning about your uploaded vector files because they are quite different to your initial sketch (client's scribble?). So a modification could more simulate Hitchkock's silhouette? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Silhouette+hitchkock&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

368877855_Silhouettehitchkock.jpg.388cf3c54dfd482821b873249dd751ce.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

I was wondering from the beginning about your uploaded vector files because they are quite different to your initial sketch (client's scribble?). So a modification could more simulate Hitchkock's silhouette? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Silhouette+hitchkock&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

Hi thomaso,

Thank you for your helpful post.

Yes, the client scanned a sketch he did and emailed me. There'd be an copyright infringement if I used the original Alfred Hitchcock image, so I bought some vector files that I thought gave a similar profile that maybe I could adjust using Designer. But I'm not well-versed in Designer, so am sort of trying to experiment a bit and make a vector work. Perhaps I can do that with the Hitch logo, if I can learn to draw something similar.

Thank you,

Chris

5 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

so I bought some vector files that I thought gave a similar profile that maybe I could adjust using Designer. But I'm not well-versed in Designer, so am sort of trying to experiment a bit

In particular for details it may be easier not to adjust an existing vector file but rather to draw a new one. If you aren't used with the pen tool it can be quite helpful to keep an eye on the tooltips at the bottom of the document window. They switch context related and point you to the various options with modifier keys while drawing.

May client (friend) got back to me with some details:

...was thinking about mimicking the Alfred Hitchcock logo.  I drew up a sketch and was just thinking of keeping it in dark grey and white and adding the holding a glass of beer like it was being judged; kinda imagine just holding a glass with just your finger tips.  Then, maybe the beer could be yellow/gold as the only pop of color?

So I really am not sure how to take the Hitchcock silhouette and turn it into a vector and change it, as I'm not versed at Designer. Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

368877855_Silhouettehitchkock.jpg.388cf3c54dfd482821b873249dd751ce.jpg

One of the images used on the TV shows is what the client sketched. (attached is the original Hitchcock logo used on TV). I think he's hoping for a line drawing that is very simple and just using lines to suggest the figure head and arm are about to sample a beer, as if to judge it's taste.

image.png.81d3863230fb4cfda7c7948379c2f37c.png

29 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

I think he's hoping for a line drawing that is very simple and just using lines

From your initial sketch I thought so, too. But your uploaded vector silhouette gave another impression. Maybe you layout both – or ask the client to clarify.

Thank you so much, Anto! This is fantastic, and such a great method.

Can you please explain to me how I can change the lines of the body to white, so that it is a white line drawing with no fill, and only the beer is in color? I was able to make the lines white by using FX>Color Overlay, but can't figure out how to keep the beer the original color, rather than it turning white, too. (attached)

Thanks again,

Chris

bbb-eps.eps

Thank you so much. And for drawing the glass as a vector. So much to learn. I admire you all that just seem to know how to do these things.

I think what I'm trying to do is make the hand appear on the other side of the glass. It appears to me this is the right arm, therefore, the body of the glass should be obscured by the hand. As it appears to me now, the beer glass seems to be floating on the back of his right hand.

I realize since this is a line drawing with no fill this may be difficult to convey. I will try your original fill technique and see if it works here. 
Thank you,

Chris

On 6/28/2022 at 3:54 AM, v_kyr said:

Better see these short screencast videos which show how I've did the above shown ...

Very well done! But to be honest, it looks a little bit like a guidance "How to become Boris Johnson" to me. So be careful, not to create unwanted associations.

3 hours ago, iconoclast said:

... it looks a little bit like a guidance "How to become Boris Johnson" to me. So be careful, not to create unwanted associations.

Jetzt wo Du es sagst, hmm eine gewisse Ähnlichkeit ist wohl vorhanden LOL. - Now that you mention it, hmm there's a certain resemblance. But it's what the OP used and wanted, thus not my choice of resemblance! 😉

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

... Is it possible to download them onto my computer so I can keep a file of these techniques? ...

In a webbrowser (for example FF) performing a right click on any of the videos should give you a context menu with a "Save video as..." entry and so allowing to save those locally onto your harddisk.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, Catshill said:

Just get that beer horizontal 😀

The fellow is just so thirsty that the acceleration of the glass has kept the beer like that. Anyone know a good dentist?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.