You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing a vector image | client design challenge

Hello,

I have a client who has asked if I can create a custom designed image for him.

He presented me a sketch of the famous Alfred Hitchcock silhouette and asked if there was a way I could create a similar look with a man seeming to be taste testing a glass or mug of beer. I found a vector with an image, perhaps the heavier man silhouette on the right would be best, but not sure how to edit it so it looks like he's "taste-testing" the beer, perhaps having his arm lifted more to his mouth, etc. Hopefully the sketch and vector image will help. I'm a quick learner, I just have not worked with Affinity Designer much in the past year, so need some guidance on how to do this, suggestions, etc. 

Thank you so much,

Chris

D3890F65-CE7C-4390-94FB-31E0B1A80EAA-1.jpeg

alfred-beer.afdesign

So far, I've played around a bit with this, but cannot figure out how to make the arm in the attached image appear as if the man is about to sip the beer.

If it helps, I've attached the vector image to the original post, with 4 different men, thin to heavier set. If I could perhaps take the arm of the third figure (the one drinking) and attach it to the heavier set man (fourth) and then create a bit of space so that he almost seems hesitant that would be great.

I just don't know how to take parts of the vector, cut, and then paste them "realistically" to another image.

One idea with words "by beer" that I'm working on is attached. I think if I could make that arm look like he's about to drink, that would be great.

Thank you again for any ideas, suggestions, etc.

Chris

beer-2.afdesign

I would add (in white) the shiluette  of the upper arm from shoulder to elbow. Going almost straight down. Then raise the lower arm even further (by adjusting the angle) to about 15-25 degree elbow angle. The hand to be adjusted to about 30-45 degree angle to hold the glass/bottle.

why not just take an photo of someone in the exact pose, it will give you all guiding lines for use in the design.

98A76E0A-9087-44E2-B1AC-42F1FE8E655C.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I just traced the concept body by beer hitchcock.afdesign

514352453_Screenshot2022-06-27at08_26_47.png.d59a3fc616ecfc1a1833fe88ad913c39.png

Fun fact: The font used is Clarendon and was used in Vertigo for the main titles

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Just to clarify, the client doesn't want to duplicate the Alfred Hitchcock logo, he was using it as an inspiration. I am sure we'd run into some major copyright issues using it. So that's why I was trying to find a silhouette of a heavier set individual with a beer belly perhaps. I just don't understand how to remove parts of a vector and put them in another position. What I did instead was to bring the vector into Photo, then crop off what I didn't want then copy the arm and paste it onto the vector image in Designer. But this seems like a very crude way of doing it, and then I lose the vector with the arm, as it is not as crisp.

I am using the attached vector and wanted to remove the arm with the glass from figure 3 (from the right), and place it onto figure 4 (after removing the straight arm from 4). But I want to maintain the vector and sizing ability.

Thanks again!

dreamstime_94108024.eps heavier.svg drinker.svg

v_kyr, that is exactly what I wanted to do, I'm just wondering 2 things:

1. In order to do this, do you use the pen tool and trace a portion of the arm, then export it as a .svg? 

2. Suppose you wanted to just have an outline of the figure, rather than a totally black silhouette, just a line drawing of the whole image (like the glass), is that possible with this software?

Thank you again, these helpful responses from everyone enables me to present some ideas to the client tomorrow night!

Chris

26 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

I'm just wondering 2 things:

1. In order to do this, do you use the pen tool and trace a portion of the arm, then export it as a .svg? 

2. Suppose you wanted to just have an outline of the figure, rather than a totally black silhouette, just a line drawing of the whole image (like the glass), is that possible with this software?

1. NO, I've used the Node tool and first removed the straight arm from man nr. 4 (select nodes and press delete).
    - Then I used the Node tool and selected everything unneeded from the third man, so all remained was his arm and the seperate glas.
    - Then I used the move tool and moved the arm + glas curves over to the 4'th man, arranged the arm there and performed a geometrical add with the 4'th man body.
  2. Of course, just remove the fill and apply a so far not set line stroke size ...

man-stroked.thumb.jpg.f7681c985ce794d648f4b0af9f860998.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Playing around again, I liked the idea of the words following a path like so, another idea would be to fill the black body and arm with the text in a more stylistic look.

1195056184_Screenshot2022-06-28at07_13_07.png.6d55eb254eb4097513aca94cc478cecc.png

alfred-beer another version.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hey firstdefence!
This is just wonderful! I have been trying for a few hours to figure out some ways to make the text look better. This is super good. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Even your shade of orange is superb.

My only thought is that the client is probably going to want the heavier set figure, he's I think making a bit of fun at the idea of getting a beer belly from drinking many beers.

My ideas are attached, but I dunno if they are any good...I was stuck for more, and now this! Thank you for sharing your skills. 

What a great forum. Always fun and I feel like I learn so much every time.

Chris

6.jpg

4.png

3.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Liking the second from last, maybe ease back on the stroke size a bit but it certainly encompasses the idea.

Careful with creating a logo with illustrations from stock pages! Unless heavily changed (like: original's not recognisable anymore), most stock pages don't allow the use for logo design nor for creating merch.

The illustration you used seems to be sold by iStock.

Standard license:

§3 d. [... ] No Use in Trademark or Logo. [...] 

Source

I haven't checked the extended license, they might provide what you need.

If your client is using your design just for printing a couple of T-Shirts for themselves and some friends, there won't be a problem ("No plaintiff, no judge."). But if they want to use it on a bigger scale, it might become a problem at some point.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

12 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Careful with creating a logo with illustrations from stock pages! Unless heavily changed (like: original's not recognisable anymore), most stock pages don't allow the use for logo design nor for creating merch.

Standard license:

Source

If your client is using your design just for printing a couple of T-Shirts for themselves and some friends, there won't be a problem ("No plaintiff, no judge."). But if they want to use it on a bigger scale, it might become a problem at some point.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, this image was purchased from Dreamstime. Standard license is unlimited use on Websites, Blogs, Newsletters, etc. This will likely be used only on a website blog. But I appreciate your suggestion to be cautious! Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 12.50.43 AM.png

37 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Liking the second from last, maybe ease back on the stroke size a bit but it certainly encompasses the idea.

Great suggestion. To clarify, do you mean the stroke size on the text or the circle or both? Thank you.

Also, absolute love the word cloud idea. Wow.

12 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, this image was purchased from Dreamstime. Standard license is unlimited use on Websites, Blogs, Newsletters, etc. This will likely be used only on a website blog. But I appreciate your suggestion to be cautious! Thank you.

Still, my statement is valid:

Unauthorized use

Without limitation, Media may not be used as a trademark or service mark (unless the appropriate extended license is being used), [...] The foregoing is not a limiting statement of Dreamstime`s rights or remedies in connection with any unauthorized use.

Source.

The licence allows the use of the illustration as such on websites etc. Using stock arts for logo/trademark design is usually not allowed.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

'tis the devil's work

bbb.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

35 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Still, my statement is valid:

Source.

The licence allows the use of the illustration as such on websites etc. Using stock arts for logo/trademark design is usually not allowed.

If the client wants to use this exact purchased image as the final in his logo, I'll be sure and tell him to purchase the "appropriate extended license."

"Without limitation, Media may not be used as a trademark or service mark (unless the appropriate extended license is being used)."

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

Standard license:

Source

Andy,

It'll probably cost a fortune to buy an extended license. But maybe if I can redraw something that is inspired by the image, it'll be okay?

thanks again!