You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Poster Design Inspired by the Science Fiction Series "Doctor Who"

Archangel

After playing with the TARDIS acronym, I developed a magic square style layout with the word TARDIS written bidirectionally on the outside of the square. Then using Affinity Publisher I created a table with eh letters written into each cell. I chose an illustrated caps font and saved the finished product as an SVG. This I later imported into Publisher and using an upscaled image of a wormhole from Pixabay as a background, I placed the word square with a white square behind it onto the page. I added a shadow to the white square and ran the auto levels on the background in studio link Photo persona. This was done on an A0 size document. Rotating the square slightly in an anticlockwise fashion seemed to give it a subtle artistic flair.

Then using the rescale option in Publisher I created subsequently smaller versions A1, A2 and A3.

The resultant landscape poster is shown in JPG form. This is A3 size.

This reduced viewed version created in Photo.

I would definitely have this on my wall.

I have ordered the A2 poster version from Vistaprint. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

This has a new logo to avoid breaching any BBC logo creation rules.

content&width=1000

Poster Design A3 reduced.jpg

Poster Design A3 unique logo.jpg

When I first saw the topic title, I thought this was (rather strangely) about a doctor “who inspired poster design”. It took me a moment to switch to reading it as “A Doctor-Who-inspired poster design”!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

23 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

You mean that is not the case?

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. It’s actually

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

“A Doctor-Who-inspired poster design”

i.e. a poster design inspired by the long-running British television series Doctor Who.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

When I first saw the topic title, I thought this was (rather strangely) about a doctor “who inspired poster design”. It took me a moment to switch to reading it as “A Doctor-Who-inspired poster design”!

Ah, yes. The ambiguity of language.

"A Poster Design Inspired by the TV series Doctor Who",  would have been clearer.

2 hours ago, Michael S Harvey said:

It is a shame, I cannot change the title.

That surprises me, Michael. Anyway, I see it’s been changed now, so either you found out how to do it or a moderator did it for you!

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

a poster design inspired by the long-running British television series Doctor Who.

Alas, my antenna is not strong enough to receive TV signal from the other side of the Atlantic (all I get is a single station, which happens to be an NBC affiliate), so I just assumed it was, indeed, about the doctor who inspired poster design. And besides, I have hard time understanding the variety of pronunciation of English that Professor Higgins was so unhappy about. I actually got a phone call from a Serif salesman and I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to sell me. English is my fifth language, and the way we were taught English seems to be ony spoken by Oxford professors.

When I first came to America, someone was watching an English comedian (his name was something like Benny Hill?), and I had no idea what he was saying. I studied in Rome, where my medical doctor was an English lady and, again, I did not understand her. I had to bring along an American to just repeat whatever she was saying, and then I understood. Last but not least, when I saw the first Harry Potter movie, I had to turn on the English subtitles so I could understand the Hogwarts students (except Harry and Hermione, whom I understood), though the professors were mostly easy to understand.

Of course, to be fair, my first Summer in the US, they interviewed a Texas farmer on TV asking him about the drought and I could not understand him at all.

7 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

Alas, my antenna is not strong enough to receive TV signal from the other side of the Atlantic

Try YouTube; e.g. 

9 minutes ago, AdamStanislav said:

And besides, I have hard time understanding the variety of pronunciation of English that Professor Higgins was so unhappy about.

As a bonus, watching YouTube clips means you have the option of switching on subtitles so that you don’t have to struggle with the actors’ regional accents.

Alfred spacer.png

@Michael S Harvey The time-space machine TARDIS from the BBC sci-fi cult series Doctor Who can be found (via Google) - in a police telephone box in London in front of Earl's Court Station.

p-station.jpg.4c0134a0a6fb45308bf24f4bdac2025b.jpg

Google Street View gives you a 360-degree tour of the TARDIS. You can't see the entrance on Google Maps, but you can still visit the camouflaged time machine via this direct link.

tardis.jpg.a08336c8fd562a8c955d630a2d2fd610.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

But how many seasons would I have to go to to know what is going on?

Good question, Adam.

5 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

And besides, I prefer doing other things than watching TV. I am 72, I still have too many projects to finish.

Me too, but you’re the one who said “Alas”!

Alfred spacer.png

Handy site if you want to find out about Doctor Who:

https://thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/

(FWIW: All the (remaining)original/classic Doctor Who episodes are available on Britbox, and all the new series are available on BBC iPlayer.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

all the new series are available on BBC iPlayer

I’m pretty sure that you would need to use a VPN to make it look as though you’re in the UK if you’re not, and you’d also have to declare (falsely!) that you have a TV licence.

Alfred spacer.png

You're probably right! I normally access iPlayer via an Amazon Fire TV Stick, but I hadn't considered that the available apps/channels depend on what country you're in! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

14 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Alas, my antenna is not strong enough to receive TV signal from the other side of the Atlantic (all I get is a single station, which happens to be an NBC affiliate), so I just assumed it was, indeed, about the doctor who inspired poster design. And besides, I have hard time understanding the variety of pronunciation of English that Professor Higgins was so unhappy about. I actually got a phone call from a Serif salesman and I had absolutely no idea what he was trying to sell me. English is my fifth language, and the way we were taught English seems to be ony spoken by Oxford professors.

When I first came to America, someone was watching an English comedian (his name was something like Benny Hill?), and I had no idea what he was saying. I studied in Rome, where my medical doctor was an English lady and, again, I did not understand her. I had to bring along an American to just repeat whatever she was saying, and then I understood. Last but not least, when I saw the first Harry Potter movie, I had to turn on the English subtitles so I could understand the Hogwarts students (except Harry and Hermione, whom I understood), though the professors were mostly easy to understand.

Of course, to be fair, my first Summer in the US, they interviewed a Texas farmer on TV asking him about the drought and I could not understand him at all.

Don't suffer about it, Adam. Some years ago I travelled to the Oberpfalz, a region in southern Germany. I am german and German is my first language. But I didn't understand any word the people there said. It couldn't have been worse if I would have travelled to Mongolia or Papua New Guinea.

@iconoclast do meinscht de Pälscher Dialekt? Ja, der ist genau so unverständlich wie das Niederbayerisch oder das Saterfriesisch, was  (noch) auf den nordfriesischen Inseln und Friesland gesprochen wird.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

14 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

But how many seasons would I have to go to to know what is going on? And besides, I prefer doing other things than watching TV. I am 72, I still have too many projects to finish.

With Doctor Who you can just jump on at the beginning of an Adventure. Continuity is quite fluid over the whole run. A good start would be Rose in the 2005 series. Spearhead from Space in the classic series, or Robot.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:21 AM, AdamStanislav said:

I prefer doing other things than watching TV

I’ve just learned of a ‘timely’ Humble book bundle offer:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-2022-titan-comics-books

Alfred spacer.png