You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is crashing most of the time, while in Macos Folder Picker

Don't expect to be fixed, this is happening to me since Spring/summer  of 2021. And still NOTHING! I'm glad that more and more people experience this, maybe this way they will fix it by the end of the year, and proves that I'm not nuts!

Just force close it 2-3x, and after that you won't have any issues UNTIL YOU RESTART YOUR MAC, so try to leave it in standby. Let me guess, you have some Google drive or some cloud drive (even if you're not saving files in it) ?.

8 minutes ago, norbinw said:

Don't expect to be fixed, this is happening to me since Spring/summer  of 2021. And still NOTHING! I'm glad that more and more people experience this, maybe this way they will fix it by the end of the year, and proves that I'm not nuts!

Just force close it 2-3x, and after that you won't have any issues UNTIL YOU RESTART YOUR MAC, so try to leave it in standby. Let me guess, you have some Google drive or some cloud drive (even if you're not saving files in it) ?.

Yes, I've Google drive and OneDrive installed. 

Well, the only workaround is to not shut down the pc or laptop after you force close the app. I just had to force close it 3x before I could export my file. Other times 1 force close and it works after that. Just remember, after every restart, you will have this circus of force close.

• Staff

Hi @rehsouna11 & @norbinw,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm this is a known & logged issue with our developers, but I'd like to update this with a recent crash report if possible.

Can you please attach a copy of the latest crash reports from Affinity Designer here for me?

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @rehsouna11 & @norbinw,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm this is a known & logged issue with our developers, but I'd like to update this with a recent crash report if possible.

Can you please attach a copy of the latest crash reports from Affinity Designer here for me?

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder.

Many thanks in advance :)

It only shows crash reports from affinity publisher, Affinity Designer doesn't actually crash, it simply stops responding until i force it to quit 

Affinity Publisher-2022-06-26-223829.ips

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

@rehsouna11, I can confirm that this issue is unfortunately still marked as Open with our developers, however I will be 'bumping' this now for you.

Just to confirm, you are using both Google Drive and OneDrive on your Mac still?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I will be sure to update our devs with this info once again now & we apologise for further inconveniences caused ion the meantime. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add another experience to this thread. I am having almost permanent crashes on Mac (12.6.1) when exporting from the Export persona in Designer or Photo, as well as regular exporting from Publisher. This has occasionally been happening under 1.x as well, but under 2.x it happens almost every time. Some workarounds to avoid the hangup include navigating the folder picker with cmd + arrow keys and using return to accept or just saving to whatever folder shows up initially and moving the exported files to where I wanted them. 

I do not run either the Google Drive or Dropbox apps, but I do have SMB mounts and a few mounted folder with Rclone.

• Staff

Hi @iFloris,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear this issue is affecting you also, I will be sure to update our developers with the information you've provided here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately this issue is still logged with our development team to be resolved, I will be sure to 'bump' this for you now to bring it to our teams attention once again.

Our apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same issue in Designer V1 almost every time I'm prompted with the Finder window in the Export persona. Also on a Mac (Build 13.2.1 (22D68)) and also using cloud storage (OneDrive). Attached a screenshot of the stuck export.

Like others, I have never had the app actually crash. I'm just forced to quit after a few minutes of the app not responding. I can also confirm that the export will work after force quitting the app 3 times.

Not sure if it matters, but I am bulk exporting 11 slices.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 10.02.24 PM.png

• Staff

Hi @rhecht95,

Thanks for your report and I'm certainly sorry to hear this, as mentioned above this issue is still logged with our development team at this time.

I will be sure to 'bump' this with our team with your report now. I hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Export Persona hang in Open and Save Panel Process when Exporting Slices" (REF: AFD-5921) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.