You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Camera calibration - how to apply ICC profile to color correct an image

I'm considering getting a DataColor SpyderCheckr 24 to color calibrate my camera.

Suppose I generate an ICC profile for my camera, using DataColor SpyderCheckr 24 software. How to apply such profile in Affinity Photo, so that my images get color corrected?

Do I apply the generated ICC profile on the Develop page, under Basic? Or do I need to develop as any colorspace (say sRGB) and then do softproofing in the Photo persona using the generated ICC profile?

I'm a little lost. I need that the images get color corrected for my particular camera and shooting conditions. So far I only understand that I need to shoot the Checkr in the session's light conditions and that I have to do it for every session, when the light changes. Then I need to apply the correction in Affinity Photo, but I don't know how.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Aardo said:

I'm considering getting a DataColor SpyderCheckr 24 to color calibrate my camera.

Suppose I generate an ICC profile for my camera, using DataColor SpyderCheckr 24 software. How to apply such profile in Affinity Photo, so that my images get color corrected?

Do I apply the generated ICC profile on the Develop page, under Basic? Or do I need to develop as any colorspace (say sRGB) and then do softproofing in the Photo persona using the generated ICC profile?

I'm a little lost. I need that the images get color corrected for my particular camera and shooting conditions. So far I only understand that I need to shoot the Checkr in the session's light conditions and that I have to do it for every session, when the light changes. Then I need to apply the correction in Affinity Photo, but I don't know how.

Thanks.

Unfortunately Affinity does not support Camera Profiles currently.

Other Apps support an automated workflow using Camera Profiles.

In Photo, you can manually create adjustment layers (e.g. curve) to match a photography of a test page with the digital reference test file, and save these as LUT, so you can re-apply them with one click on other images.

There is a small chance that forum users like @v_kyr may provide some scripts which automate that process. As an rough idea: icc profiles and curves / channels mixer adjustments are probably related in their core functionality. LUTs are simple plain text files with conversion factors to map input to output values. iCC profiles do the same, but with an binary format.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2