You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a  newbie, I have another question: what does this graphics on one of my layers' mean? I see some tranparency icon, but I don't find any in this folder. And I see a realistic folder icon which does not appear elswhere in my layers panel…

TIA,

Tomek

QS 2022-06-25 o 17.21.png

Edited by tomek_Q
spelling mistakes

A Layer* layer containing empty Layer layer(s) will look like the 'folder'. If there is anything in the Layer layer(s) then the thumbnail will look like the item(s) in the Layer layer(s).

It is a poorly thought out metaphor and perhaps poorly implemented as well.

*Note the Capital L Layer as opposed to the lowercase l layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

You are 

20 minutes ago, tomek_Q said:

As a  newbie, I have another question: what does this graphics on one of my layers' mean? I see some tranparency icon, but I don't find any in this folder. And I see a realistic folder icon which does not appear elswhere in my layers panel…

TIA,

Tomek

You are lucky. I see this:

image.png.2524bbeb13887651b3e951665e8c60a0.png

I am not sure what kind of icon that is - but the contrast ratio is terribly inadequate.

/Eddie

@tomek_Q, what initial file type do your layer panel's thumbnails represent?

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

A Layer* layer containing empty Layer layer(s) will look like the 'folder'.

Sure this looks like the OP's screenshot? – To me it is quite different, note the flat, far more abstract icon style + the mask / transparency symbol next to the thumbnail (not ON it)

2105943450_layerpanelfolderthumbnails.jpg.b3667a686b9df1450b2b9d7b0a0e299b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Is there anything at all that is visible in the Layer2? If the document consisted just of (Mask) and Layer2 beneath it would there be anything on the canvas that was visible?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, tomek_Q said:

I must go back and open that particular file

Well, plain layout type

What do you mean with "plain layout", I never heard of this as file type. What is its suffix? (PDF, .EPS, .PS, .AI, .IDML, … ?)

On 6/25/2022 at 8:54 PM, tomek_Q said:

Plain layout means layers inside a layer, to organise the layout of the publication. No suffix, sorry.

29 minutes ago, tomek_Q said:

OK. Now I am positive. I want my layers to look as those on the right, and dfinitely NOT like those on the left. Spent many thours to make that rather simple layout workable, without those lovely embelishments;-)

So do I understand right that both layouts (wanted & not-wanted) were created in Affinity, and not initially by a different app + then opened (~imported) by Affinity?
This makes me wonder how and why you created the unwanted layout?

Finally it seems you are missing Global Layers to organize your objects across the entire book layout in a layer hierarchy by content type. Unfortunately this feature is not available in Affinity (yet?) but you could want to post your vote in one of the existing Feature Requests threads, for instance this one, which includes a few Serif developer's questions (Nov 2021) about how users want to work with certain aspects of global layers.

49 minutes ago, tomek_Q said:

I want my layers to look as those on the right, and dfinitely NOT like those on the left.

As far as I can see the only real difference between Left and Right is that the Right has populated Frame Text text frames in the Text(Layer) and populated Picture Frames in the Art(Layer). When I say populated I mean frames with stuff in them, pictures or words.

I might have some unpopulated frames added to the Left version's Text(Layer) and Art(Layer) and then save that as a template file.

As I have said before, if there is nothing in a (Layer) layer then you will see nothing in the thumbnail.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

As I have said before, if there is nothing in a (Layer) layer then you will see nothing in the thumbnail.

Bruce, I think you misunderstand me. I have nothing against seeing miniatures of content of the layer. I strongly oppose random appearing of strange folder icons , and other with tranparency indicated. In my right example both emtpy and populated layers behave correctly. So are also two global layers (one nested in other)

48 minutes ago, tomek_Q said:

I strongly oppose random appearing of strange folder icons , and other with tranparency indicated.

Can you reproduce their occurrence in the same, a new or any different document?

I strongly oppose random appearing of strange folder icons , and other with tranparency indicated.

There is nothing random about the appearance of Folder Icons. They appear under certain conditions. If you have a Layer with at least one Empty Layer in it you get a folder. If you see a Folder Icon that means there is at least one Empty Layer inside it and no actual stuff like text frames picture frames etc. are in there. It is rather odd but I can tell at a glance if the Layer is ultimately empty.

5 hours ago, tomek_Q said:

but didn't connect it with unpleasent icons appearing…

If you're complaining about the Folder icons, the "checkerboard  background" is not connected to that at all. The Folder icon results from Layer layers with empty Layer layers in them, as @Old Bruce deduced. The solution to remove the Folder icons is not to put empty Layer layers inside other Layer layers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

The solution to remove the Folder icons is not to put empty Layer layers inside other Layer layers.

I am under the impression that @tomek_Q is wanting to set up something that he can use later on. He knows there will be (or may be) text on the page and he wants a Layer to hold that text. So not including the Layer named Text is not an option. That is if I am in fact correct about tomek_Q wanting to set up some sort of Template or pseudo Global Layer system in Publisher.

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

So not including the Layer named Text is not an option.

On the other hand, one could include an empty Text Frame instead of a Layer, which might suffice and which would then eliminate the Folder icon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

I know what happened here. I have just had the same problem where I changed a setting by accident and had no idea what I had done. Two hours later I have managed to workout the problem.

It isn’t the checkerboard background that is the problem. I had unticked ‘show group thumbnail’. Once I ticked it again the ugly folder icon disappeared. Yay!