You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reveal Parts of Letter on a seperate layer using Mask (only revealing the layer below)

So as the title suggests for the life of me cannot get my head around this, i am trying to use Mask to reveal only parts of another layer by using Mask and then the brush tool. I am sure it is relatively easy but I just cannot get it to work (i use procreate as well and can peform this quite easily) See screen grab so for example i want to reveal only the central part of the E as indicated by the circle in green (this is obviously not part of the main image, purely to highlight the area i am trying to reveal on top of the red handwriiten letter) 
image.thumb.png.ab537df1f462ebd19ad8229b750d43a8.png

From the sounds of it you need to clip the red letter inside the black letter – see attached image.
Drag the red letter on the Layers Panel under the name of the black letter until you get a semi-transparent blue rectangle which doesn't go all the way across the Layers Panel.
Note: You will probably need to use Artistic Text rather than Frame Text.

image.thumb.png.6907680680c648f9df82a575ec668c96.png

Thanks Garry - but thats not it - i can create the effect you have shown, but I only want to reveal part of the E (the central prong so to speak) so it goes over the red part as shown where the green circle is on my image. So i looks like pic attached, but i want to use a mask to create the effect.image.thumb.png.eb2fa264210bdd6db9cc21d460502906.png

Copy the black ‘E’ and paste it on top of the red ‘e’. Use a small shape (e.g. a rectangle or an ellipse) to mask the top ‘E’ so that only the central prong remains visible.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, The Computer Lab said:

i can create the effect you have shown, but I only want to reveal part of the E (the central prong so to speak) so it goes over the red part as shown where the green circle is on my image. So i looks like pic attached, but i want to use a mask to create the effect.

First, as mentioned earlier, you probably need to use Artistic Text, not Frame Text.

Then it's just a matter of creating the mask, and selecting the red e, and painting out the area of it you don't want to see. Use black, and a basic brush.

image.png.d7fcefe65b9545c79171275c7edbabce.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt - Thats not it as far as i can see, you are just deleting around the letter e so is not actualy REVEALING the black E through its just removing the red. Obviously if i zoom in on your pic i can see where you ave removed the red part of the e. The idea is to paint over the part of the E indicated using the brush tool and a mask which should simple reveal the area painted for the font its on (if that makes sense.

Just a note it is the technique i want to learn - the letter E / e was there as an example.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Lab said:

Thats not it as far as i can see, you are just deleting around the letter e so is not actualy REVEALING the black E through its just removing the red.

No, it is hiding the red (which is what you'd do with a Mask) so the black bar behind it shows through.

It was a quick sample; you could paint more carefully, with a smaller brush for example. But it is exactly what you showed as what you want, as far as I can see.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, it is hiding the red (which is what you'd do with a Mask) so the black bar behind it shows through.

It was a quick sample; you could paint more carefully, with a smaller brush for example. But it is exactly what you showed as what you want, as far as I can see.

Thanks Walt - Like i said thats not is - If you read my original post thats not what i exactly said - Its states wanting to REVEAL parts or the E not delete parts or the red e.  There is a technique that can be used to paint over a selected layer to reveal only parts of it. Its is fairly simple i just cant remeber how to do it.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Lab said:

Its states wanting to REVEAL parts or the E not delete parts or the red e.  

You reveal part of the lower layer by hiding part of the upper layer.

You can't do something to the lower layer that will prevent an upper layer from hiding it, you need too work on the upper layer.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, The Computer Lab said:

Thanks Alfred as i already said i know how to do that

I thought the whole reason for creating this thread is that you didn’t know how to do it!

2 hours ago, The Computer Lab said:

but want to learn the technique for revealing using a mask

That’s what I described. You mask the top E with a small object that reveals the central prong while hiding the rest of it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)