You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The move tool needs a NEW context toolbar. Seriously.

Sigh. I dont even know where start. Its so, SO frustrating. 

Do you know how in adobe illustrator for the app theres a little toolbar underneath each object and how in vectornator as well theres a little toolbar underneath each object with basic icons relating to that selected object's properties with other basic moving/building operation icons? Okay. I need that. I need it here in affinity designer. Its not a debate. Its needed and let me explain why. Because the current context toolbar for the move tool is not it. Its not. Its not because I'm not being given any basic properties or building operation icons for my object. None. Im being forced to go to my studios for basic operations and its decreasing my workflow.

Theres a reason why these 2 popular vector apps have this toolbar underneath their objects. Because it works. It helps users build their work faster, it speeds up their workflow, and its just a helpful way of working on an ipad. All operations on this toolbar are close to your apple pencil so that you dont have to reach the edges of the app to do basic operations in studios. It saves time. It cuts down seconds. It speeds up workflow.

Youre forcing me to go to the stroke studio just to increase my objects stroke width when a simple icon underneath my object could have done that. Youre forcing me to delete my object by making me reach the very bottom left corner of the app when a simple trashcan icon underneath my object could have done that. Youre forcing me to go to the color studio to lower the opacity of my object when a simple opacity icon underneath my object could have done that. Youre forcing me to flip my object vertically by making me go to the transform studio when a simple vertical flip icon underneath my object could have done that. All that work. All that time. All that reaching to the edge of my screen to get to studios to change basic properties and do basic operations. Its too much for something so simple. This is an ipad that we're working on. The screens are smaller so things need to be closer to our apple pencils to speed up workflow. 

Sigh. And i know I make sense because some of these basic properties/operations are available on other context toolbars in the app for other tools EXCEPT for the move tool. EXCEPT FOR THE MOVE TOOL. The only difference is Affinity Designer's context toolbars are located at the very bottom of the screen where as the context toolbars I need are right underneath the object for quick picking.

I mean think about it. If I want to delete an object why are you making me go all the way down to the bottom left corner of my screen. Why? Why not add that trash icon to my context toolbar and place the toolbar underneath my object so that i dont have to reach so far down or to the edge for a basic operation of delete. Its head shacking. This new context toolbar is needed for the move tool and it needs to be placed underneath my selected object. Not at the very, very bottom of the app. Its needs to have your basic properties/operations.

If i select an object/stroke, I need on my move tool context toolbar a stroke width icon, an opacity icon, a deselect icon, a move icon, a trash icon, a flip vertically/horizontally icon, etc. Im not given that. I have to do all those changes in the studios. Which is fine but it shouldnt for basic, BASIC operations

Sigh. This new context toolbar for the move tool needs to happen. It works and I have 2 other vector apps to show that it works. I'm going to start sketching ideas to show what I mean because I'm frustrated with this workflow that youre making us users follow. The app is great. Mostly everything is there. You just need a designer to help design this app because some things are not working. 

You cant make users go to the bottom left corner to delete objects. You cant put the "?" tool tip icon at the bottom right corner of the app because thats where users wrist go when they draw. You cant put studios within studios. You need a designer, Serif. I need to start making videos because this is too much type.

I agree in principle with what you’re saying here, but you’re arguing against yourself when you say

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

The screens are smaller so things need to be closer to our apple pencils to speed up workflow.

The screen being relatively small means that nothing is far away from your Apple Pencil.

As for your comment/question

1 hour ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

If I want to delete an object why are you making me go all the way down to the bottom left corner of my screen.

there’s a ‘Cut’ option on the context menu that pops up when you ‘long-press’ anywhere on the screen. (We need a ‘Delete’ option both there and on the Edit menu so that we can avoid overwriting the contents of the clipboard.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 6/25/2022 at 3:31 AM, Alfred said:

the context menu that pops up when you ‘long-press’ anywhere on the screen

See. Thats the thing. First youre making me go all the way to bottom left corner to delete my object. Now youre giving me the option to long press to bring up a menu and hit cut to cut my object. Its just too much for a simple action. I honestly hate that menu. Its such a weird menu. It feels like it doesnt belong in this app. Its out of place. Almost like the developers didnt know where to put it or design it and just quickly made it. I guess because of the way its designed and because of the gesture to bring it up. No other gesture brings up menus and the design of the menu is nothing like the design of the other context toolbars. Its just so random. So out of place.

there’s a ‘Cut’ option on the context menu that pops up when you ‘long-press’

I get you and i appreciate you showing me a different way to delete my object. I just dont want to do it that way because theres a faster and simpler way to do it. I dont want to have to wait for a long press gesture to finish to do the simple action of cutting something out. I simply should be able to select my object and hit the trash can icon on the context toolbar underneath my object to delete it or in this case a scissors icon to cut it. Its simple but its not available here.

We need a ‘Delete’ option both there

I honestly think this long press context menu that youre talking about IS the menu that im requesting here. The only difference is im requesting it to appear under an object when its selected and I need other icons to be added to it to change the properties of my object or icons that can do other actions related to building my design up. And I too want a delete option on this menu so lets add the trash can icon to it. 

The screen being relatively small means that nothing is far away from your Apple Pencil.

Things are not really THAT far away from our apple pencil. Theyre not. Its a small little ipad screen. Its just that if some basic icons and actions were just a little close to the tip of our apple pencils and not at the edge of our screen then our workflow could be sped up just a little bit. 30% faster. I just dont want to be reaching to the edges of our screen for basic actions 

6 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Its just that if some basic icons and actions were just a little close to the tip of our apple pencils and not at the edge of our screen then our workflow could be sped up just a little bit.

I hear you. For the avoidance of doubt, I’m all in favour of what you’re suggesting.

6 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

30% faster.

5% or 10% would be a little bit. 30% is a lottle bit!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:
12 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

30% faster.

I got 30% from this vectornator article where they talk about their version of this context toolbar called "Quick Actions." Have a read. It explains what I'm trying to explain in this forum post. 

https://www.vectornator.io/blog/vectornator-4-0-preview-quick-actions/#:~:text=You can use this slider,the object to the front.

I love this video by youtube user brave the woods. It shows exactly what I mean here about needing a new context toolbar for the move tool because everything is far away and going to studios along the edges is the user workflow. Which is fine. Im not saying get rid of studios. im just saying to bring important building operations/tools closer to our objects and apple pencil. 

• 2 weeks later...