You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Further you call it version.release.minor, I called it explicitely instead major.minor.patch, the reason I call that more patch than anything else can be seen here!

Serif have said that 8, 9, 10 etc. are major, because they indicate file compatibility. And they have said that 1 (e.g., in 1.8, 1.9) is the version number.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif have said that 8, 9, 10 etc. are major, because they indicate file compatibility. And they have said that 1 (e.g., in 1.8, 1.9) is the version number.

Ok, but that has nothing to do with last part minor/patch numbers we talked here about.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Ok, but that has nothing to do with last part minor/patch numbers we talked here about.

Given 1.10.5.1342 (or even 1.10.5), if version = 1, and major = 10, then minor = 5. You most recently said minor = 10, and patch = 5. To me that is wrong, as the 10 is a major change number.

I would be willing to concede that it doesn't really matter whether we use the term minor or patch for the 5 part of that number.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Given 1.10.5.1342 (or even 1.10.5), if version = 1, and major = 10, then minor = 5. You most recently said minor = 10, and patch = 5. To me that is wrong, as the 10 is a major change number.

Other schemes impart meaning on individual sequences:

major.minor[.build[.revision]] (example: 1.2.12.102)
major.minor[.maintenance[.build]] (example: 1.4.3.5249)

Again, in these examples, the definition of what constitutes a "major" as opposed to a "minor" change is entirely subjective and up to the author, as is what defines a "build", or how a "revision" differs from a "minor" change.

Shared libraries in Solaris and Linux may use the current.revision.age format where:

current: The most recent interface number that the library implements.
revision: The implementation number of the current interface.
age: The difference between the newest and oldest interfaces that the library implements. This use of the third field is specific to libtool: others may use a different meaning or simply ignore it.

Incrementing sequences

There are two schools of thought regarding how numeric version numbers are incremented. Most free and open-source software packages, including MediaWiki treat versions as a series of individual numbers, separated by periods, with a progression such as 1.7.0, 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.9.0, 1.10.0, 1.11.0, 1.11.1, 1.11.2, and so on.

On the other hand, some software packages identify releases by decimal numbers: 1.7, 1.8, 1.81, 1.82, 1.9, etc. Decimal versions were common in the 1980s, for example with NetWare, DOS, and Microsoft Windows but even in the 2000s have been for example used by Opera and Movable Type. In the decimal scheme, 1.81 is the minor version following 1.8, while maintenance releases (i.e. bug fixes only) may be denoted with an alphabetic suffix, such as 1.81a or 1.81b.

The standard GNU version numbering scheme is major.minor.revision, but Emacs is a notable example using another scheme where the major number (1) was dropped and a user site revision was added which is always zero in original Emacs packages but increased by distributors. Similarly, Debian package numbers are prefixed with an optional "epoch", which is used to allow the versioning scheme to be changed.

... thus I could also say it follows instead the major = 1, minor = 10, and revision = 5 scheme.

So then for common versioning schemes and related to what you wrote here ...

... your version = 1, and major = 10, then minor = 5  is rather wrong, since numbering schemes usually start with major numbers followed by minor numbers, so a 10 in 1.10.5 shouldn't be a major number at all here then! - Thus as I see it the common schemes used (semantic versioning) would be ...

major.minor[.maintenance[.build]]  =   1.10.5.1342

major.minor[.revision]  =   1.10.5

major.minor[.patch]     =   1.10.5

semantic2.png.856572f2315ffe0b9395477f18160c24.png

-------------------------------------

semantic.png.4523758813ebd35faff6d6ec1a1353d1.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, skmwrp said:

the point of this entire thread.

Point of this thread is question "Fraud?". The answer is simple - no!
Or does the purchase / license agreement state somewhere that the price includes lifetime updates and product upgrades? Or is it stated in a general commercial law that, unless otherwise stated in the contract, the manufacturer must update and upgrade the product free of charge for life? If not, no fraud has taken place.
And there was no mistake on the part of Serif - that it was not stated directly in the purchase contract that the upgrade to version 2 would be paid for.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Given the original direction of the thread, would you say that losing the point of it was a good thing or a bad thing?

By the 9th message in a row about version numbering, it had become a bad thing.

I was just thrilled that there might soon be an upgrade to Designer.

2 hours ago, skmwrp said:

My advice is don't hold your breathe. Personally I would be surprised if it comes out in this calendar year.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Personally I would be surprised if it comes out in this calendar year.

I think too. After all, the ideal date for the release of version 2, ie 22.2.2022 has already been missed, so now it doesn't matter 🙂

The release of version 2 will in itself be a turning point. I'm quite curious about what strategy Serif will use - will it release all three applications at once, or release them gradually ?, and learn from the mistakes. Will it release all the OS at once, or will it release them gradually ?, and learn from the mistakes. Will it release them for all stores, or just the Affinity Store, which has more control and can make it easier to respond to problems? Will it be a public Beta, or will it be live release? - this could, of course, tell more about a possible release date.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 minute ago, Pšenda said:

I'm quite curious about what strategy Serif will use - will it release all three applications at once, or release them gradually

I wonder what would happen to Studio link if I have Publisher and Designer 1.10 and Photo 2.0. Would I be able to use the photo persona only if I still have Photo 1.10 installed?

What happens if I upgrade only Publisher to 2.0. and retain 1.10 versions of Designer and Photo. Will Studio link be broken? Most likely.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Versions 1.y and 2.y will probably be completely independent, so they will both be able to run on the same PC. Of course, a lot of confusion, and potentially dangerous, will arise when using the same files - we'll see what the backward / forward compatibility will be.

This thread is becoming ridiculous. Why just we don't wait and see... and enjoy what we already have for so little money...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff
47 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I wonder what would happen to Studio link if I have Publisher and Designer 1.10 and Photo 2.0. Would I be able to use the photo persona only if I still have Photo 1.10 installed?

What happens if I upgrade only Publisher to 2.0. and retain 1.10 versions of Designer and Photo. Will Studio link be broken? Most likely.

StudioLink in V1 requires a matching V1 of Photo and/or Designer installed

Affinity Version 2 will be independently purchased. Affinity Version 2 will therefore Install parallel and so will not overwrite Version 1.

StudioLink in V2 will require a matching V2 of Photo and or Designer installed. It will not be "broken" it simply won't be enabled without a matching version, as you would expect.

Because of the parallel installation there will be nothing to stop you using StudioLink in Publisher 1.x if you only own Photo 1.x and Designer 1.x that will still be enabled, as you would expect.

If you buy all three Version 2 applications, you may well choose to uninstall Version 1 applications, but that is up to you and will be your choice

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

16 hours ago, skmwrp said:

Boy, y'all have lost the point of this entire thread.

4 hours ago, skmwrp said:

The original post was not about looking forward to an upgrade to Designer. It was a complaint about "not being told" that the 2nd versions of the apps would have to be paid for. (Something that most of us are fully aware of!) So, yes, the discussion in the thread has developed into speculations about the next versions and version numbering. I can't see a problem with that – It's probably better for discussions to develop, rather than just repeating the same thing over and over again. (Which has happened in several other threads!)

There's nothing wrong with the original "point" of a thread morphing into a discussion of things related to the OP (i.e. future versions). When you get a rant, like the first posts in this thread, there's not really much you can say directly about it, without breaking forum rules that forbid being rude about individuals! 😑

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

The release of version 2 will in itself be a turning point. I'm quite curious about what strategy Serif will use...

What I am most interested in about that is how the new version will be priced, like if there will be any discounts for early purchasers or for buying all of them at once.

Of course, only time will tell.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

while the op is either a troll or a very confused individual,i have to say that the remaining issues are valid concerns. the team going completely silent,the number of bugs in the m1 version (i am sure the windows version is equally buggy,but i do not use it)....for the money the program is decent,but i am actively looking for something to replace it. i invested in education,i paid for courses,but i still cannot create a working LUT,just to limit myself to!the bug i think i discovered. 

is Affinity photo a bad program? not at all. could it be better? certainly and i would have the patience to wait,because i know these things take time. is the communication from serif good? hell,no. The main problem with affinity is the lack of infos. as far as i know i could be using a piece of software from a dead company. 

57 minutes ago, maxegb said:

the team going completely silent

See post 3 above this one for a comment from a member of the team.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

See post 3 above this one for a comment from a member of the team.

That doesn't really mean much when a person responds to posts about the health of the company instead of the company putting out posts of their own. (Like, what happened to the occasional newsletter.)

I wonder if they're in a death spiral at this point.

11 minutes ago, skmwrp said:

I wonder if they're in a death spiral at this point.

Oh for crying out loud. Methinks some of you have too much time on your hands. You need to load up an Affinity program and get some work done. That, or subscribe to Adobe's annual $$ grab and go over to their forum to do some justified whining and sniveling. What Adobe is charging for their symphony ensures they'll be around forever and a day.

Just now, Twolane said:

Oh for crying out loud. Methinks some of you have too much time on your hands. You need to load up an Affinity program and get some work done. That, or subscribe to Adobe's annual $$ grab and go over to their forum to do some justified whining and sniveling.

That's a BS response to my serious consideration.

Who are you to say?

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

What I am most interested in about that is how the new version will be priced, like if there will be any discounts for early purchasers or for buying all of them at once.

Of course, only time will tell.

Serif could have provided a bundle for ASuite since the release of APublisher three years ago, and has not yet taken that step.

It will certainly provide an introductory discount on the purchase, as always, when a new product is released. But it can't be expected to be almost "free" - Serif needs to raise funds for further development when upgrading to version 2, even from existing users. However, when launching the new version, Serif has a chance to drag customers to its store so that no one else can profit from the sale. So I would expect an earlier launch at a better price in the Serif Store.