You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo export looks overblown and lacking detail

Hey guys,

I have the problem that images look good within affinity photo. Once I export them to jpg or png they look overblown or loosing detail and blacks.

(On top of it I bought a new MBP14 with mini LED screen, where the brightness automatically adjusts throughout the day and so its hard to develop the raw file consistently while traveling. When hooked up to an external HD Samsung monitor the images the look totally washed out.)

but even without that:

on the same screen the same image exported looks worse right next to the open Affinity file. Whats going on? this makes the program unusable - sure this can't be it?

glad for any help  - I'm on a deadline.

posting it now on this forum both sides just look washed out!!! 

so you guys can't even see what i see.

any comment helps.

Michael

image.thumb.png.c44b5afd9ac4463ac837839e487b2951.png

42 minutes ago, schoner said:

sRGB linear - maybe I should switch to adobe?

If you're in Linear, then you probably have an RGB/32 image. And if you're exporting to JPG or PNG you're probablygetting RGB/8.

My suggestion: Don't work in RGB/32. Use RGB/16 or RGB/8, instead. RGB/32 requires specialized workflows, and is for special purposes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

49 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're in Linear, then you probably have an RGB/32 image. And if you're exporting to JPG or PNG you're probablygetting RGB/8.

My suggestion: Don't work in RGB/32. Use RGB/16 or RGB/8, instead. RGB/32 requires specialized workflows, and is for special purposes.

As Walt said, working in linear formats requires a special workflow. There are a couple of videos by James Ritson on this topic, on the AP site and YT. Bottom line is you'll need to end up with a 8 of 16 bit, non-linear file for it to look correct in a non-linear, color-managed file format such as PNG or JPEG.

thanks - have to watch that tutorial first. on a quick look it only offers me 32Bit in the preferences.

...other topic is that on an M1Pro Mac it sometimes is unworkably slow - it will start thinking just by hovering over a function. Did a restart in save mode and after that now its better - but probably have to look through the forum on that topic.

mhh - sat through 3 sessions on the phone with Mac Care - we ran Diagnostics - it said everything was fine. Also when I'm drawing in Rhino, it also has trouble on this machine. So it's a weird situation. You got a new machine that should run super rapid, but instead my 8 year old computer runs almost as fast. Rhino is apparently not good with the M1 chip yet. .. anyhow - that's for another forum. Just a bummer 

39 minutes ago, schoner said:

mhh - sat through 3 sessions on the phone with Mac Care - we ran Diagnostics - it said everything was fine. Also when I'm drawing in Rhino, it also has trouble on this machine. So it's a weird situation. You got a new machine that should run super rapid, but instead my 8 year old computer runs almost as fast. Rhino is apparently not good with the M1 chip yet. .. anyhow - that's for another forum. Just a bummer 

Yeah, optimization for M1 and Metal are key. If apps or plugins are not yet optimized for M1 you won't experience much improvement in performance. Affinity Photo however is significantly optimized for Metal and M1 so you shouldn't be experiencing any problems. I find that AP runs faster on my M1-Max than it does on my PC with an RTX GPU. If you're having issues in AP, something is off.

21 hours ago, schoner said:

On top of it I bought a new MBP14 with mini LED screen, where the brightness automatically adjusts throughout the day and so its hard to develop the raw file consistently while traveling.

There should be a setting in System Preferences > Displays that will enable or disable that. See for example https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-displays-preferences-mh40768/mac

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, schoner said:

...other topic is that on an M1Pro Mac it sometimes is unworkably slow - it will start thinking just by hovering over a function. Did a restart in save mode and after that now its better - but probably have to look through the forum on that topic.

See related to M1 hardware & Affinity ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

There should be a setting in System Preferences > Displays that will enable or disable that. See for example https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-displays-preferences-mh40768/mac

thanks - kind of knew that somehow, but was to overworked to actually do something about it. (just started a new job with 1h train commute)

57 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

makes so much sense: I was editing on the train only one program with 2 photos open . But of course the brightness keeps changing all the time with the train turning or trees and such going past.

3 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

If you import your exported washed out file back into Photo is it still OK?

no, actually those are still bad. Just spend my whole afternoon shopping it on my HD external monitor - so with the more crappy screen - now the jpgs look ok, even on the MiniLED screen. Made an effort to not overexpose the raws while developing. Don't understand anymore what went wrong earlier. I think MiniLED always has so much contrast that you thin you still got a good photo. .. or maybe not ... there is more contrast to be seen within AF then what a jpg reproduces. Anyhow making it work for now and I'm happy I don't see beachballs anymore.