You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP! Question about Targeted Lighting.

In Affinity Photo when I open and adjustment layer of Brightness & Contrast to perform a Targeted Lighting I cannot get the hand to change to a circle. Adjust the Brightness and I Invert by pressing Command-I, then press B to open the Paint Brush nothing happens. I then open the corner of the Pixel Tool and select the Paint Brush but the hand still never changes to a circle. 

I am new to Affinity but took the on-line course with Affinity Revolution, and a short course at my local library, but I do not know what to do to fix this.

The attachment is a screen capture of my edit so far.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Gerry

Lunker1@cfl.rr.com

MY EDIT SO FAR 2022-06-23 at 8.43.10 PM.jpg

Welcome to the forum @Gerry F 

Firstly, please remove your email address from the post above unless you like being spammed.

Secondly, are you trying to follow a tutorial? if so could you add the link to the post.

Thirdly, have you tried manually selecting the Brush from the toolbar and not using keystrokes, the reason I say this, is because I have found, on occasion, the keystrokes do not respond and I have had to manually (with mouse) select what tool I want, after doing this I can select tools with keystrokes again.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

How do I remove my email address?

The tutorial I am flowing is a:  https://courses.affinityrevolution.com/courses/774285/lectures/14040725

I have tried using "B" to open the brush but nothing happens and the hand remains a hand.

I have tried manually clicking with the mouse on the brush on the left side of the screen to open the brush but nothing happens and the hand remains a hand.

Thanks for the help,

Gerry

How do I remove my email address? This website says to join an email is REQUIRED.

The tutorial I am flowing is a:  https://courses.affinityrevolution.com/courses/774285/lectures/14040725

I have tried using "B" to open the brush but nothing happens and the hand remains a hand.

I have tried manually clicking with the mouse on the brush on the left side of the screen to open the brush but nothing happens and the hand remains a hand.

Thanks for the help,

Gerry

4 minutes ago, Gerry F said:

How do I remove my email address? This website says to join an email is REQUIRED.

An email address is required to join. But nothing says you have to include it in your posted message, as you did.

You should see a "..." icon on the upper right of that post. If you click it, you might see an Edit action. If you do, click it, and you can delete that line from your post.

Edited to add: If you don't see the Edit action, you'll have to wait for a Moderator to edit your post and remove that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Gerry F said:

the brush but nothing happens and the hand remains a hand.

Your screenshot shows the Paint Brush Tool selected + its options in the Context Toolbar.
It you still don't see a brush cursor it could be related to the current brush size which might be larger than the image or too small to be easily seen. If you see the Hand cursor while a Brush Tool is obviously selected that would indicate the keyboard space key is pressed.

• Can you check if the keyboard works properly, for instance…
… does the cursor change if you press the CMD key?
… does the cursor change if you press the CTRL + OPT keys?

• Do you have an additional advice plugged-in / active, for instance a graphic tablet?

Once you get a brush cursor (indicated by a thin black circled shape): currently you have the HSL layer selected and White as front color. That would mean you wouldn't see any brush result since white is unmasking while this layer seems to be fully white already (not masked). – Whereas your Lighting layer seems to be fully masked (= black) in the layers thumbnail, which would mean that none of your light settings gets visible = all is masked. For this layer the White brush would make a set light visible (if this layer gets selected for painting).

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Brushes that are larger than the images height or just a very large brushes are normally indicated by three large concentric circles.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Walt: "..." does give me an edit option but once selected there is no email address showing anywhere that I can delete it.

Thomaso:  

• Can you check if the keyboard works properly, for instance…
… does the cursor change if you press the CMD key?                                     NO CHANGE
… does the cursor change if you press the CTRL + OPT keys?                       NO CHANGE

• Do you have an additional advice plugged-in / active, for instance a graphic tablet?                NO I DO NOT

Walt and Thomaso: I do not know if any of the things Thomaso had me do has caused this however, now when I manually selecting the brush with the mouse, as well as typing "B", now cause the brush to open and the circle to be displayed.

I still cannot remove my email address though so if a Moderator reads this please assist with this issue. I would have preferred to not provide this website with my email address at all to avoid problems like this.

Thanks,

Gerry

This is a forum is a great asset so I thank all of you for reading my thread and helping in any way.

Edited by Gerry F
typo

25 minutes ago, Gerry F said:

I would have preferred to not provide this website with my email address at all to avoid problems like this.

You added your email address to the end of your first post yourself. It was not automatically added there. So in the future, don't add it to any of your posts or alternately disguise it in a form that search bots will ignore, like using "at" instead of the "@" character & "dot" instead of the dot character.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I still cannot remove my email address though so if a Moderator reads this please assist with this issue. I would have preferred to not provide this website with my email address at all to avoid problems like this.

Click on the ellipse on your first post and select Edit

image.png.25c0e1e1e662f775042c6d0b2d4f63f6.png

"..." does give me an edit option but once selected there is no email address showing anywhere that I can delete it.

That seems odd. Do you see it when you view the post? Here's what I see, just above your screenshot in that first post:

image.png.1c49cbafaef099c1a346cc7427bec274.png

ps: If you or a Moderator deletes that, I will remove this screenshot (or the Moderator may do so if they wish :) ).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

39 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

ps: If you or a Moderator deletes that, I will remove this screenshot (or the Moderator may do so if they wish :) ).

FWIW, I do not think that spam bots that collect email addresses from public web pages are clever enough to extract an email address from a raster image like in the screenshot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7