You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity photo crashing and not responding

Once I open affinity photo it works for a minute or 2 then it says its not responding...I have turned off hardware acceleration, I have restarted, I did the factory reset thing as well....the past few days it worked fine and now its not responding....my affinity designer and publisher are working fine with no problem...please tell me what I can do...I trying to work but is unable due to this. 

• Staff

Hi @Magnascha,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

The issues you've reported can happen when your GPU drivers are out of date, in order for me to advise which to download, can you please open Affinity Photo then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

When working in a document and these issues occur, can you please confirm for me:

• What is the physical size of the canvas?
  • Does this occur in one specific file, or any document?
  • Does this happen when using a specific tool / workflow, or seemingly randomly?
  • Do you have many other open applications when editing in Affinity Photo?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Magnascha,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

The issues you've reported can happen when your GPU drivers are out of date, in order for me to advise which to download, can you please open Affinity Photo then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

When working in a document and these issues occur, can you please confirm for me:

• What is the physical size of the canvas?
  • Does this occur in one specific file, or any document?
  • Does this happen when using a specific tool / workflow, or seemingly randomly?
  • Do you have many other open applications when editing in Affinity Photo?

Many thanks in advance :)

• I use a 210mm*297mm canvas (A4 size )
  • nope, it doesn't have a specific file or docu
  • nope, it happens randomly...when I open the app it works fine all the tools work perfectly but all of sudden it just stops or slows down first and then stops
  • nope, usually just one (the one iam editing)  

Screenshot (3).png

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know, and for the screenshot provided!

Firstly, please visit the below link to download the latest drivers for your Intel GPU - 

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/download/18369/intel-graphics-driver-for-windows-15-40.html?

After installing, restart your PC and then launch Affinity once again. Reopen the Preferences dialog and increase the RAM usage limit to 8191 MB.

Restart the Affinity app once again after changing this and then try editing a new document, does this improve the responsiveness for you please? :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I too am having the same issues. My Affinity Photo will crash within first few minutes of working - usually have a 'not responding' message or sometimes I don't even get that and it just closes itself mid project too! :( 

Here is a screen shot if this helps. I'm on Windows 10 but due an upgrade to Windows 11 which I'm a bit dubious to do. I haven't downloaded any new software so can't explain why Affinity Photo is suddenly doing this. 

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you, H.

Screen shoht.JPG