You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking a Group Causes Colour Fringes due to Passthrough Blending Mode

This is an old issue – I even commented on it five years ago.  However, I never figured out what Affinity Photo is actually doing.  Affinity Photo is obviously applying some sort of blending mode, but I don't understand what blending mode it is actually applying – or why it is applying it.  I can't think of any reason how this would be considered normal operation; there are no real world scenarios where this behaviour would be expected.

The attached test file contains a single pixel layer, which is in a group, and a mask is applied to the group.  In a real world scenario, there would be more layers in the group and therefore the mask would be masking multiple layers in the group, but for demonstration purposes I am only using one pixel layer in the group here.

The default blending mode for groups in Affinity Photo is Passthrough.  With the Passthrough blending mode, the mask does not work as expected (see below screenshots).

Screenshot A:  The mask that is masking the group is just a straight horizontal line running through the centre of the image. The expected result would be the group mask just revealing the pink layer (Fill layer) below.  However, as can be seen in the screenshot, the Passthrough blending mode causes odd distortions, colour shifts and fringes.

1194593517_ScreenshotA.thumb.png.a9859be7cbf7c43276cb992624196ef8.png

Screenshot B:  With the group blending mode set to Normal, the mask works as expected – the straight horizontal mask running through the centre of the image just reveals the pink layer below, with no odd distortions, colour shifts and fringes.

703529537_ScreenshotB.thumb.png.810b8660aa613607642e366fdc494b8c.png

Original File:

Test 01.afphoto

Probably related (and unanswered since a long time )

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi @- S -,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm this issue is already logged with our developers, though the previous example files provided do not show the issue as clearly as your document - so I will be providing this to our developers now, alongside 'bumping' the report with them.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @- S -,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm this issue is already logged with our developers, though the previous example files provided do not show the issue as clearly as your document - so I will be providing this to our developers now, alongside 'bumping' the report with them.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks.

• 4 months later...