You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Healing brush drags long lines unintentionally and stops responding

For larger files and with cpu struggling, drawing a small line can sometimes trigger the app to draw huge lines like this. Normally I'd let it do it's thing, do the healing, then undo. But if you make one tiny mistake of clicking elsewhere on the app, it'll stop responding and be forced close the app. 

I'm working with 50 files today and still encountering this issue a dozen times already, I used to tolerate it but enough is enough so I'm posting this now. What can be done about this? Is this a known issue? 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 230738.png

What version of Affinity Photo are you running?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @spacecat,

Can you please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

1 minute ago, spacecat said:

It's 1.10.4 

The latest version of Affinity Photo on Windows is 1.10.5, which can be downloaded here -

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Hi @spacecat,

Can you please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

The latest version of Affinity Photo on Windows is 1.10.5, which can be downloaded here -

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

I don't recall any notes about the issue in the latest ver so I didn't upgrade earlier, but I'll give it a try then

@ settings: here you go 

Screenshot 2022-06-23 001333.png

• Staff

Thanks for providing that, I'd recommend unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then restart the app and try using the tool once more.

Does this reduce the not-responding behaviour you're seeing please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Now upgraded to latest and unticked hardware acceleration* 

Cloning feels a bit faster now but I still get the lines when the app is still processing the healing and I clicked elsewhere(by habit). I get no 'not responding' behavior so far, I'll post back when it happens again 

Screenshot 2022-06-23 002801.png

I see you're using the inpainting brush and not the healing brush, they both behave differently when processing. Using larger file sizes I always experience the very same thing you have pictured here. I have found no cure for this because it all comes down to the computers processing speed, and my laptop's performance is severely lacking graphically speaking. But as far as the inpainting brush goes, and its behaviour, it has become a normal thing for me to see. It takes as long it takes and that's all there is to it.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

4 minutes ago, spacecat said:

Yes I understand that even in PS it may use some processing time, it's just that the brush drags in straight lines when it struggles and sometimes I get a not-responding windows which causes me to lose all my work

I'm curious. . .have you ever had the task manager open during these episodes to check if the CPU or memory have maxed out. In my case it usually is and until the computer recovers from these performance issues the program will inevitably freeze.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

7 minutes ago, spacecat said:

not really but I doubt it's maxed out cause I can still use my other apps / browser windows. Some of these issues I don't experience with other apps like with adobe 

Have you tried altering the spacing of the brush you're using?

Click on the more tab and try increasing the spacing.

• Staff

Many thanks for trying these steps for me and I'm certainly sorry to hear this hasn't helped!

Can you please provide a screen recording showing the steps you're taking when this issue occurs? As I'm not able to replicate this here currently.

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for providing this for me!

Firstly I would recommend not clicking on the canvas whilst the previous inpainting stroke is still processing, as this could certainly cause unwanted behaviour - we have a report with our developers to not allow clicking during this processing time, so I will 'bump' this for you now.

Secondly, are you holding Shift at any point during this? As this will constrain the brush to straight lines, similar to that shown in your recording.

18 minutes ago, spacecat said:

Do you test your software on lower-end computers? 

Absolutely, we have a wide range of system we use to test the applications - just to confirm, what are the specs of the machine you're using?

I also recommend making sure the driver for your GTX 1050ti is fully up to date, directly from Nvidias website, as outdated graphics drivers can also cause unexpected issues in Affinity :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Similar?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Intel core i5 4460 3.20ghz 

20g ram

windows 10 pro 

Graphics drivers are all updated

Unfortunately it will be hard NOT accidentally clicking when retouching. I clone out hundreds of dots and scratches on dozens of files, I WILL accidentally click at some point by habit, this is not a problem with photoshop so I've gotten used to it. Maybe it'll be better if all other clicks/commands are ignored when a clone is processing

I don't use shift a lot, but I do use spacebar+mouse for moving around the canvas when retouching. The rest is just click or drag+click for taking out scratches 

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me, the machine you're using is technically more capable than the Windows 10 machine I'm using currently - so I don't believe this to be caused directly due to the hardware in use, or power of your PC.

I have logged this as a bug with our developers for further investigation, as this behaviour certainly isn't correct, and I absolutely understand the frustrations this could cause with your workflow.

I hope this helps :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

I can confirm this is still logged with our developers to be resolved, though I can see it has been updated to inform our devs it also affects V2 - my apologies I can't provide a more specific timescale at this time for a resolution.

Please note -

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm this is still logged with our developers to be resolved, though I can see it has been updated to inform our devs it also affects V2 - my apologies I can't provide a more specific timescale at this time for a resolution.

If it would ever be resolved in v2 would the same fix be applied for v1 ?  or will v1 no longer receive bug fixes? 

• Staff

As I understand it, our developers have no plans for a V1 update at this time, my apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

But these are bug fixes, we're not really asking for new features to v1 ... I hope the devs reconsider making a final round of bug fixes for v1 before finally retiring it, the v2 release came out of the blue and it felt like future bug fixes for v1 were blocked by a paywall :(

edit: I'm disappointed with Affinity, decided not to purchase v2 anymore.