You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing Nik on Affinity Photo

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

I've done that three or four times with the same result.

I can only suggest reaching out to the creator of the software. As much as we can try to assist, we can't support third party software and it's down to them to ensure it works for the platforms they sell it for.

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

I can only suggest reaching out to the creator of the software. As much as we can try to assist, we can't support third party software and it's down to them to ensure it works for the platforms they sell it for.

Unfortunately, I tried this before my first post here.  Seems NIK are not overly keen to support a free product.  Can't say I blame them, but it's a pity that it doesn't seem to work anymore, they were a useful little package.

Guess I'll just to file it under the 'nice to haves', that I don't have anymore.

4 hours ago, Stolzy said:

have the same problem, Nik plugins were installed, but nothing happens when I click on any plugins.  I reinstalled Nik a few times, changing folder names (or specifying the google sub-folder), and nothing has worked so far.  Selecting a pixel layer prior to clicking plugin has not worked either.
I am using:

• google version (free) Nik Collection 2012
  • Affinity Photo 1.10.5
  • Monterey M1
  • see screen shot

My other setup on an old MacBook (Sierra) using the same versions of Affinity 1.10.5 with Nik 2012 plugins  work ok

I am able to directly start each of the Nik apps individually and open an image file.  

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-------

Strangely encouraging to know that I'm not the only one having the same problems.

Are you too using it on M1/silicon based Apple hardware? - I can imagine that the old free Google NIK Collection Plugins would only work under Intel based MacOS computers, since these were those days only compiled for those platforms. Aka meaning here more concrete, that the old NIK Plugin PS-API code (which are MacOS Intel CPU based plugin-bundles) might not be taken into account by Apple's Rosetta 2 here for a proper emulation on M1 systems.

See maybe related ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just upgraded to DxO Nic Collection 5 and now only can get some to work. Vivesa, silver efex pro, colour efex pro and analog efex pro don’t work. All installed ok, all showing in menu ok. Have made sure picture is jpeg and rasterised. Reinstalled a couple of times as well. I think it’s something in the upgrade that’s preventing these working. Have not yet contacted DxO for comment but that’s next step. In the meantime I can at least use them as standalone. The fact that others are experiencing same problem tells me it’s not Affinity photo.

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Are you too using it on M1/silicon based Apple hardware? - I can imagine that the old free Google NIK Collection Plugins would only work under Intel based MacOS computers, since these were those days only compiled for those platforms. Aka meaning here more concrete, that the old NIK Plugin PS-API code (which are MacOS Intel CPU based plugin-bundles) might not be taken into account by Apple's Rosetta 2 here for a proper emulation on M1 systems.

See maybe related ...

Thanks for the input @walt.farrell,  @v_kyr I went through all the links provided above and I changed Affinity to "Open using Rosetta" in info screen.  I am now able to open the google NIK plugins from within my Affinity 1.10.5.   I think the Affinity NIK plugin error was due to a conflict when Affinity executed as a native M1 app and then opening an Intel app like the google NIK.

I am not sure if the others @Stolzy @Raymondo with similar NIK plugin errors have the same M1/silicon setup as mine.  

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 10.46.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 10.34.22 PM.png

Edited by abe.tomas

People keep mentioning Google but nic collection is not owned by them anymore. It’s owned by DXO and its the most up to date release that is causing me problems. I also  am running the most up to date Mac system. I think it’s something within the new release that is the problem and I have yet to approach DxO about the problem.

27 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

People keep mentioning Google but nic collection ...

That's because the original post in this thread was about the free Google version, (which is still available: https://archive.org/details/nikcollection-full-1.2.11).

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

An update for all of you out there having problems with upgrade. Just been touch with DxO support and they told me to download the upgrade direct from my account box only. Have just done that and low and behold everything is now working fine. So, that’s what you will need to do to avoid installation problems in future.

15 hours ago, Raymondo said:

An update for all of you out there having problems with upgrade. Just been touch with DxO support and they told me to download the upgrade direct from my account box only. Have just done that and low and behold everything is now working fine. So, that’s what you will need to do to avoid installation problems in future.

Could you clarify what is meant by 'upgrade' and 'account box' please.  Are you referring to the paid version of NikCollection?

The version we're talking about is the free one here

Upgrade is defined as the latest released version you can buy, in this instant it means I have paid to upgrade to version 5 of Nic collection. What I mean by account box is that I signed up with DxO and was given an account where all software I have bought from DxO are stored. So if at any time I were to lose for any reason DxO software on my computer system I would able to restore it by going into my account and downloading it again. Hope this explains everything for you.

21 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Upgrade is defined as the latest released version you can buy, in this instant it means I have paid to upgrade to version 5 of Nic collection. What I mean by account box is that I signed up with DxO and was given an account where all software I have bought from DxO are stored. So if at any time I were to lose for any reason DxO software on my computer system I would able to restore it by going into my account and downloading it again. Hope this explains everything for you.

OK, understood, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Yes I know but I was using the issue of nic collection to let everyone know that there is a fix for anyone having issues with the upgrade. I would also say here, a way forward to fix the issue is to pay for the DxO version 5 because the Google version is so old and if nic collection is a vital part of your work then it would be a good investment. If a particular software is useful for your work then sometimes you have to bite the bullit and shell out.

2 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Yes I know but I was using the issue of nic collection to let everyone know that there is a fix for anyone having issues with the upgrade. I would also say here, a way forward to fix the issue is to pay for the DxO version 5 because the Google version is so old and if nic collection is a vital part of your work then it would be a good investment. If a particular software is useful for your work then sometimes you have to bite the bullit and shell out.

Fair point, but the NIK software is far from a vital part of my work, it's just an occasional quick shortcut when I need to give someone a general idea of how their picture will look.

The free NIK collection is more than adequate for my needs, but I'd like to put it on my laptop installation as well as a my desktop.

Looks like that isn't going to be possible.

1 hour ago, Stolzy said:

However, neither NIk nor APh have flagged a requirement for Rosetta even though they are both 'Intel:64' apps rather than 'Universal'.  Unless they do this I don't think that I can install Rosetta.

Affinity Photo is a universal app, and will run on either Intel or Apple Silicon natively.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Stolzy said:

OK, further research suggests that NIK doesn't work on Apple Silicon (as in my new MacBook).

However, neither NIk nor APh have flagged a requirement for Rosetta even though they are both 'Intel:64' apps rather than 'Universal'.  Unless they do this I don't think that I can install Rosetta.

See the posting of @abe.tomas above and ...

... see also ...

> lipo -info "./Affinity Photo.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Photo"                                                                                                    
Architectures in the fat file: ./Affinity Photo.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Photo are: x86_64 arm64 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

Is it though?

Yes.

Are you perhaps running an old version?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you perhaps running an old version?

You mean old version APhoto? - 1.10.5?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

28 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

You mean old version APhoto? - 1.10.5?

Yes; sorry for being unclear.

I'm not sure whether 1.9 or 1.10 was the first M1-enabled release of the Affinity applications.

And thanks; missed that in their screenshot.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Stolzy said:

Is it though?

Run the application System Information use the Apple in the Menu Bar and call up About this Mac then click on System Information. Choose the Applications in the Software section and select Affinity Photo.

I haven't ever seen a window like the one you have in your screenshot. Is it from some third party developer?

988255280_ScreenShot2022-07-10at7_27_15AM.png.f634455f30b836752da3e9ac0757b8b4.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Run the application System Information use the Apple in the Menu Bar and call up About this Mac then click on System Information. Choose the Applications in the Software section and select Affinity Photo.

I haven't ever seen a window like the one you have in your screenshot. Is it from some third party developer?

988255280_ScreenShot2022-07-10at7_27_15AM.png.f634455f30b836752da3e9ac0757b8b4.png

Indeed.  Interestingly I have 1.10.5 on both laptop and desktop.  On the laptop it reports 'Universal', on the desktop it reports '64 bit'