You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installing Nik on Affinity Photo

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I wonder if you need to have /Applications/NIK2 in the Plugin Support Folders listing, too?

No. The only thing needed there is the forward slash ("/") which tells AP to look everywhere on the startup volume (the root) for support folders.

The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe that AP has not yet been restarted for these settings to take effect...

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No. The only thing needed there is the forward slash ("/") which tells AP to look everywhere on the startup volume (the root) for support folders.

The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe that AP has not yet been restarted for these settings to take effect...

It has been restarted.  It requests that you restart when you close the prefs pane.

25 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

It has been restarted.  It requests that you restart when you close the prefs pane.

Then I am out of ideas about why it is not working for you, since it works fine for me (& AFAIK for most other users as well).

The only thing that seems odd is in your screenshot in this post, at path Macintosh/HD/NIK2 there is no subfolder named "Google" with the plugins in it. I think that should have happened if you used the compatible host option at the time of installation, but TBH I am not sure about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

Then I am out of ideas about why it is not working for you, since it works fine for me (& AFAIK for most other users as well).

The only thing that seems odd is in your screenshot in this post, at path Macintosh/HD/NIK2 there is no subfolder named "Google" with the plugins in it. I think that should have happened if you used the compatible host option at the time of installation, but TBH I am not sure about that.

They work fine on my desktop machine too.  In fact they worked fine on this macBook until I upgraded AP to 1.10.5.  I presume this is the problem.

2 hours ago, Stolzy said:

They work fine on my desktop machine too.  In fact they worked fine on this macBook until I upgraded AP to 1.10.5.  I presume this is the problem.

I run AP 1.10.5 on my iMac & the Google NIK plugins work fine for me & for some other forum users, so whatever the problem is, it is not caused directly by the update.

Affinity Photo 

According to your one above screenshot, where the related NIK tool plugin & config folders do reside under "/Applications/NIK2"  I would just try with ...

Plugin search folders:   /Applications/NIK2

Plugin support folders:   /                                <-- nothing else added as paths here in this list then, just place one single "/" and remove the rest.

... as far as "/Applications/NIK2" hasn't just be created by you and thus is instead the original NIK2 based installment for the plugins & configs there (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

According to your one above screenshot, where the related NIK tool plugin & config folders do reside under "/Applications/NIK2"  I would just try with ...

Plugin search folders:   /Applications/NIK2

Plugin support folders:   /                                <-- nothing else added as paths here in this list then, just place one single "/" and remove the rest.

It should not matter what is in the support folders list as long as the forward slash by itself is in it, since it is shorthand for the entire top level of the drive, including any other file path taht begins with the slash.

The weird thing about this is the panel does show several of the Google NIK plugins are being recognized (like Color Efx Pro 4 & HDR Efx Pro 2) so it is unclear why they are not working.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

It should not matter what is in the support folders list as long as the forward slash by itself is in it, since it is shorthand for the entire top level of the drive, including any other file path taht begins with the slash.

Should and does are often two different pair of shoes here, especially if a list data structure possibly isn't internally always iterated completely through and thus search paths might not be concatenate the right way.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The weird thing about this is the panel does show several of the Google NIK plugins are being recognized (like Color Efx Pro 4 & HDR Efx Pro 2) so it is unclear why they are not working.

If those plugins don't need and look for other certain NIK related dependencies, so are plugin-API-wise still accessable/runable on their own, it should usually work (... as far as that NIK2 version is known to be compatible with the Affinity plugin API base).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Should and does are often two different pair of shoes here, especially if a list data structure possibly isn't internally always iterated completely through and thus search paths might not be concatenate the right way.

The thing about that is "/" is the macOS level shortcut for the current boot volume, so if it isn't iterating completely through that, then the problem is most likely not with AP but with something in the structure of the file system of that volume. Besides, I have experimented with adding other items to the plugin support folders list & it doesn't change anything, as long as "/" is somewhere on that list.

So while he can try removing the other two paths, I doubt that is going to make any difference.

This might be a good time to run First Aid in Disk Utility to see if it turns up anything wonky about the boot volume.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So while he can try removing the other two paths, I doubt that is going to make any difference.

This might be a good time to run First Aid in Disk Utility to see if it turns up anything wonky about the boot volume.

The OP has to tryout and see for either of these, if it maybe somehow affects the behavior for him!

Further I wonder if the below maked in bold is ever enabled for some plugins in order to setup some actions here?

Photoshop Plugins options
  • Open Default Folder in Finder—Gain direct access to the default folder which is searched for plugins. Plugins can be added to this folder for easy access from the Filters menu.
  • Add/Remove Plugin Search Folder—adds or removes a folder in which to search or access support files to make plugins accessible from the Filters menu.
  • Add/Remove Plugin Support Folder—adds or removes folders that contain supporting files for plugins (for example directories containing executables or presets).
  • Authorise Global—authorises access to supporting plugin files across multiple users and further resolves compatibility issues.

9 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Further I wonder if the below maked in bold is ever enabled for some plugins in order to setup some actions here?

How it has always worked for me & from what I can tell from other replies in other topics, Authorize Global applies to all plugins (IOW, globally) & if it has been enabled then (like in the OP's screenshots) its button is greyed out.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How it has always worked for me & from what I can tell from other replies in other topics, Authorize Global applies to all plugins (IOW, globally) & if it has been enabled then (like in the OP's screenshots) its button is greyed out.

Can't remember if I ever enabled (greyed out as you say) that one. And I wonder if you can again disable it then in some way.

15 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Can't remember if I ever enabled (greyed out as you say) that one. And I wonder if you can again disable it then in some way.

It isn't enabled by default so if it is greyed out it almost certainly means you did click the button at some point.

AFAIK, there is no way to disable it once it has been enabled. 

Affinity Photo 

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It isn't enabled by default so if it is greyed out it almost certainly means you did click the button at some point.

Probably, back once upon a time when I bought APh and installed the Google NIK Collection those days (reused from inside of PSE). Since then never needed to touch the NIK plugins setup, even I updated APh x times since then, the NIK plugins PSE installment does still work with every APh update right out of the box so far.

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, there is no way to disable it once it has been enabled. 

Looked through some app prefs and found some entries ...

PluginSearchFolders =     (
        <626f6f6b bc020000 ... 00000000>
    );

PluginSupportFolders =     (
        <626f6f6b ec010000 ... 00000000>
    );

"com.seriflabs.Pref.AllowUnknownPlugins" = 1;
GlobalEnable = 1;     <-- though not sure if it is the right key here, so if that one is meant to be associated to the plugin context

19 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Looked through some app prefs and found some entries ...

Personally, I would never try editing that key value ... or for that matter trying to use any PS plugins without Authorize Global enabled.

Anyway, since in the OP's screenshots the button is greyed out, I am reasonably sure it is enabled & is not related to the problem.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

The thing about that is "/" is the macOS level shortcut for the current boot volume, so if it isn't iterating completely through that, then the problem is most likely not with AP but with something in the structure of the file system of that volume. Besides, I have experimented with adding other items to the plugin support folders list & it doesn't change anything, as long as "/" is somewhere on that list.

Ran First Aid from Disk Utility.  Nothing reported.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, v_kyr said:

@Stolzy Which concrete version number of the DxO (or Google?) NIK Collection for MacOS do you have installled?

And did you possibly followed this installation advice here?

Google version of NIK.  Version 1.2.11.  Mac OS X Monterery, 12.2.1

The link is in German, so I couldn't say for sure, but it looks like the installation as described earlier.

I have the same problem, Nik plugins were installed, but nothing happens when I click on any plugins.  I reinstalled Nik a few times, changing folder names (or specifying the google sub-folder), and nothing has worked so far.  Selecting a pixel layer prior to clicking plugin has not worked either.
I am using:

• google version (free) Nik Collection 2012
  • Affinity Photo 1.10.5
  • Monterey M1
  • see screen shot

My other setup on an old MacBook (Sierra) using the same versions of Affinity 1.10.5 with Nik 2012 plugins  work ok

I am able to directly start each of the Nik apps individually and open an image file.  

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 11.58.50 PM.png

APhoto is from Serif Store or Apple Store?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

6 hours ago, abe.tomas said:
  • Affinity Photo 1.10.5
  • Monterey M1

I would expect that the free version of the plugins would require that you run Photo under Rosetta when you're on an M1 machine. (But I'm not an expert.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, abe.tomas said:

I have the same problem, Nik plugins were installed, but nothing happens when I click on any plugins.  I reinstalled Nik a few times, changing folder names (or specifying the google sub-folder), and nothing has worked so far.  Selecting a pixel layer prior to clicking plugin has not worked either.
I am using:

• Affinity Photo 1.10.5
  • Monterey M1
  • see screen shot

My other setup on an old MacBook (Sierra) using the same versions of Affinity 1.10.5 with Nik 2012 plugins  work ok

I am able to directly start each of the Nik apps individually and open an image file.  

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Strangely encouraging to know that I'm not the only one having the same problems.